The Squat VS the Deadlift

which is better from all sides??
which is safer,wich works more mucsles,and finally wich gives the more strenth in less time?

Thank you very much

“gives the more strenth in less time”

there is no such exercise. Squat and Deadlift work different type of muscle groups and one is a push while other is a pull exercise.

I don’t mean to be critical but I guess I’m going to have to be. The dynamics of the squat and deadlift are very different, but they both work the exact same groups with the primary movers being the hip and knee extensors with the spine stabilizing. Deadlifts are more difficult (hence the title) because there is no elastic energy to begin your lift from the ground. The squat uses elastic energy because the lift action is begun with an eccentric lowering of the bar. Just ask yourself, what joints are moving on this lift?

oops when i said deadlift , what i meant was stiff legged deadlift, and i was trying to get across inthe previous post is that squat tend to work on the quads more while deadlift works the hamstring.

That makes more sense.

If thats true,than isn’t the deadlift better??
Because i heard that the hamstring is the most important for a sprinter.

No, deep squats and deadlifts hit the hamstrings/glutes equally well. The difference is squats are better at developing quads (more knee extension), and deadlifts hit the lower back (more hip extension). I think the main difference is not in muscles worked but in types/qualities of strength. Deadlifts develop starting strength while the squat is more versatile and can be modified to work all of them. I would say focus on whichever lift is weaker and bring it up until it equals the stronger lift. Personally I never do regular dl because most of my auxillary work hits the same area (RDL, Good Mornings,) not to mention the first pull of OL’s.

A sprinter needs to have great strength in all of the prime movers, and so the hamstring is not necessarily the most important muscle. Also, one drawback to the dealift is that I believe it is more CNS intensive than a squat (correct me if I’m wrong), and so you need more time to recover from that lift neurologically. As a result, you might have to devote more time to rest that could be used for training if you utilize the deadlift too often.

Interesting post. I have been squatting for about two years straight now, and have been able to get up to 340 full squat, but I do not have weight training after this December. I had taken every simester since freshman year, and I don’t want to fill up my entire high school transcript with weight training.

The drawback is that I cannot squat at home. I have a bench, pullup/dip station, bar among other things. Therefore, I will be switching from squats to deadlifts over the next few months.

I would be glad to post my results from the two different types of exercises.

Try some 1 legged squats
Will you be switching back to regular gym, how’s that look better on a transcript, does it even make a distinction?

Are you sure, that the hamstring is not “necessarily the most important muscle?”

If a muscle is injured more often than any other muscle by elite, sub-elite and beginners in a sport, then there is likely to be a myriad of reasons that would suggest that it is THE prime mover and a weak link if not attended to properly.

Check out krazyiondaline’s aviator to see dwain’s ham development to see what I am getting at “If it looks right it flys right”.

all muscles are important, there is no most important muscle in sprinting cuz all muscles play their individual vital roles. hamstring is just the muscle that drives u forward, so most people think that its the most important. But quads are important as well because its the muscle that extends your knee. at least thats what i thought it does…

The deadlift is one of the best all around lifts period. No other movement incorporates so much lower and upper body strength in the same lift.

Great bang for the buck exercise. I love them :slight_smile:

The deadlift definitely involves more muscle groups overall due to the involvement of the scapular retractors to maintain an unright posture. Personally, I find the deadlift takes more out of me overall and requires more recovery. But a lot of that has to due with the fact that I’m stronger on the deadlift than squat.

The deadlift involves more work for the posterior chain and back muscles relative to the squat. It is these muscles that are primarily taxed in sprinting. So from a long term developmental standpoint, deadlifts should be incorporated early to develop these muscle groups and prepare them for more intense sprinting down the line. However, the other side of this equation is that as sprinting becomes faster and more intense, the weightlifting stress has to shift away from the pulling muscles so that they can recover from the sprinting.

No, I will not be switching back to regular gym. I have a really tough schedule next semester (chemistry, trig, ap history, ap lit, ap spanish) so I didn’t have room to fit gym into it. Next year, I can be back in weight training, but not from january to august.

That means that I am stuck working out at home. My upper body training will not be a problem, but I do not have a squat rack. I will be able to deadlift and possibly power clean at home, however.

I learned a lot of things really… :wink:
I still have a question or let me say two questions :slight_smile:

1-Is it safe to deadlift without a coach?( because my back is so weak) :frowning:

2-Can i do both of them,squat and deadlift at the same day (I lift three times a week)

Thank you very much.

Concentrating on deadlifts for 8 months certainly won’t hurt your development. That’s for sure.

start off light and gradually increase it over a period of time. i do both squat and deadlift in the same day.

Thats the general belief amongst MOST athletes but that is not the case. The coaches with biomechanics knowledge know that the quads which work one joint are the prime movers in the start along with the gluts and calves. The glutes, hams adductors and erector spinae are responsible for top speed.
They all act on two joints trasnfering energy.

The glutes work on the hip and knee joint by transfering force through the ilio tibial band. The adductor assists the hamstrings by applying force to the ground whilst the gluts act as a stabiliser of the hip. The erector spinea keep the torso rigid and apply force at the end of toe off as the leg travels backward.

The hams are identified as the most active muscle in the sprint.
If it is the most active muscle in the upright sprint action then its is very important. Charlie covers this in Training for Speed as to why you should train the hamstrings as hip extensors.

To sum up, the most important muscles in sprint act upon two joints.

The hams (hip and knee joint).
Glutes (hip and knee joint).
Adductors ( hip and knee joint).
Calves (knee and ankle joint).
The exception being the quads except for the rectus femoris, but it is inactive and shuts down during key times when the hamstring is needed most.

Doing the squat or deadlift are general exercises used to develop general strength. BUT the difference being that deadlift type exercises use the erectors, glutes and hams as the prime movers. The squat and its derivatives make the quads and the glutes the prime movers whilst the hams work more as a stabiliser.

In summary both are general strength exercises that develop general strength.
If you are looking to develop the hamstrings in a more targetted and effective way then use good mornings, SLDLs and glute ham raises cable hip extensions and plyometric exercises that are reactive and recruit the muscles in the right pattern and with correct sequence pattern.

Either squat or deadlift are effective for the CNS but you have to look at other exercises to strengthen the hams as hip extensors along with sprinting itself.

You are one DEEEEP brudda! Keep up the good work Martn76!!! I find your posts very informative!! :smiley: