The road to College Football: Training journal

Pre-workout: 1.4 liters of water mixed in 2 servings of Endure! and 2.5 grams of CEE

Workout: 1st day of Track/DE Lower Body day

Track workout:
Dynamic Stretching work
Flying 30’s: 4 sets of 1 rep (Jog for 30 yards then sprint 30)

Power Clean:
135 x 1
135 x 1
145 x 1
145 x 1
155 x 1
155 x 1

GHR’s:
BW x 2
BW x 2
BW x 2

Weighted abs and Hyperextension circuit: (no need to go into detail just did 3 sets of 6-8 for each)

Comments: Sitting now my Hip flexors are sore and I have to static stretch my muscles before I go to sleep to get quality recovery. Comparing myself to other sprinters I am probably 2nd fastest on the whole team which means I am faster or the team just sucks but I feel good running today really focusing on my mechanics and learning how to “wait for it.” This whole week is going to be DE work which means light weights for 1 week I look like a bitch in the weightroom but this is going to help me in the long run then it is now.

Pre-workout: took a few drinks of my pre-workout drink (Endure w/ CEE) and drank the rest during and after the workout

Workout: ME Bench Day

Bench Press:
205 x 6 (Easy)
220 x 6 (PR) (A little difficult)
235 x 4 (PR) (Hard but happy)

Track workout: Raining outside so we ran up and down the steps at my school.

JM Press:
95 lbs. 3x3

Dips:
BW x 6
BW x 9

Comments: None really but good workout I am going to try to get 235 x 6 next week so it should be exciting. First Meet April 14. Not to gloat or any thing but I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and I was like damn you are one big mofo and people always told me I was big but now I am rediculously bigger and I feel I have yet to “Fill out my frame.” But I am trying to eat healthier which means alot of greens in my diet and water.

Track Workout:

150 meter runs at 80-90% for 2 sets of 3 reps

Comments: My body was wasted after this and it was telling me I need more water as I was on the verge of cramping up in places I didn’t know I could cramp up like my hips and my ass was very tight from the running is this natural?

Well how was the rest in between reps and sets of runs? This is natural, especially if it’s still the beginning of your track practices, just make sure you stay hydrated throughout the day and it’ll help prevent the cramping at track practice.

between sets the time was 5 minutes between reps it was about 30 seconds.

Track Workout:
Stretch
6 x 10 yard jog then 40-50 yard sprint.
Stretch

Weight training:

Bench Press:
Bar x 10
115 x 5
135 x 3
215 x 1
235 x 4.5 (PR)

Elbow-out extensions:
30 x 8
30 x 8
40 x 6

Wide grip Lat Pull-down:
90 x 6
90 x 6

Behind the neck wide grip lat pull down:
90 x 6
90 x 6

Comments: Today was a good day though I felt slow I was just working on my running form and relaxing during the sprint. There is a supplement that I have been taking that has produced some stretch marks and it is getting worse in my bicep which means 1 of 2 things. I am losing muscle or body fat or I am gaining muscle or BF which I will check out tomorrow morning on my inaccurate scale.

PS: I have got letters so far from Brown University and Williams College but very unlikely I get into either because of grades. GPA: 3.45 SAT: TBD taking it on May 7.

Track workout: Tempo’s
Stretch
2 x 4 @ ~150 yards
Stretch

Comments: pathetic workout but nothing to harsh, I even tried to throw the javelin sucked at that so I am going to try to throw shot put and discus as they are more becoming. I wanted to lift so bad but I couldn’t because I need to conserve my energy for tomorrow, my hamstrings for some reason just don’t feel right. I try to stretch but nothing is happening as I am becoming more flexible but my hamstrings feel weird.

Track Workout:
Stretch
40 x 20 yard sprints
Stretch

Workout: Not really going to post what I did because OI’s are a waste of time for me at least, but I did some OI HF Squats, Mio GHR’s, Full GHR’s, Clap push ups, explosive push ups.

Comments: need to fix my session B weight training but 40 x 20 yard sprints were just stupid but I can’t do anything about that.

Track Workout:
Just threw javelin, discus, shot and played a little b-ball.

Weight training:

Power Squat:
365 x 3

Single Leg Squats w/ back leg elevated:
25 x 5 (each leg)
50 x 4 (each leg)

RDL:
145 x 5

Wide Grip RDL’s:
145 x 5

Comments: I can’t belive I never thought of wide grip RDL’s before but now I am really going to implement into my routine where days I feel I can’t GHR. The Squats felt good, it was hard but I had 1 Rep left in me which is something that I try to strive for. I am going to do the Standing Broad Jump right now: 2 ways Defranco’s way and the way I saw NFL Combine people do it.

Track Workout:
Flying 50’s with 10 yard build up: 6 reps (felt decently fast)

Weight training:

Bench Press:
Worked up to 240 x 4 (PR)

JM Press:
115 lbs @ 3x3

Wide grip Pull ups: (Toes resting on the ground while I pulled myself up, tried not to add any effort with my feet) BW-3x6

Supplements: 2 scoops of Endure!, 2.5g of CEE (Drank throughout whole workout session and finished at home)

Comments: I hit another PR which is very good as my lifting has gone down the drain the past few months. My goal is to get to 270 x 4 and eventually throw up 300 lbs. The next time I lift will be on Friday after my Track meet on Thursday. It should be an interesting leg workout day 370 x 3 on the Squat is Friday’s goal. Next week goal for Bench Press is 245 x 3.

Workout:

Bench Press:
135 x 5 (didn’t feel good)
205 x 1
225 x 1
245 x 3 (PR) (first rep was a major struggle but I got 2 after that which is strange feel like I am getting tired)

Dips:
BW x 8
BW x 8
BW x 8 (felt good and easy)

Comments: Nice workout felt good, next week 250 for at least 3 is going to be tough but probably going to be a miss. Today recorded my vertical leap at ~28.5 inches I am closing in on 30 inches which is what I am trying to achieve in a few weeks which is going to be real tough. I gained 4.5 inches on my vert since last BC camp but strangely enough I don’t think I am faster on my short distance acceleration. Yesterday I did some jope roping circuits which were tough on my feet, it’s hard to find quality footwear for a big athlete like me that can move.

Track Workout:

Warmup jog
Stretch
Dynamic Stretch
40m turns x 8 reps
Javelin throwing (threw very far today then normal I am thinking I broke 140ft but I am unsure which would be a major PR as I threw 97’ in my first meet, I counted 49 paces from where I threw it)

Weight Training:

Bench Press:
45 x 5
100 x 5
180 x 3 (should have done 2)
205 x 3 (should have done 1)
230 x 1
250 x 2 (damn not good might have hit a plateau or track is really killing me on a good day i would have got 3)

Bent over Row:
115 x 10
95 x 10
95 x 10
95 x 10

Comments: Overall good day except I think I might have had a minor fracture to my right pinky finger while I was in the weightroom a weight fell on it but I didn’t say much but couldn’t get to last lift. I felt decently fast today focusing on accelerating in the turn of the 4x1 relay. I am eating very clean now with greens and chicken and protein shakes making up most of my day. I am looking to get down to a solid 220-225 at a lower BF %.

Ran 13.0 100m, my legs didn’t feel good from the beginning, and during the 40m point, I couldn’t run full speed but I ran as hard as I can, I felt much smoother when I ran 2 weeks ago the 12.8 which was slow but not bad.

Track workout:

Warm up jog
Dynamic stretch
Hand off in the relay work

Weight training

Snatch Grip Deadlift:
135 x 3
225 x 3
245 x 3
275 x 3 (Very good last set next week going for 295 x 3)

Power Clean:
135 x 2
135 x 2
155 x 2
155 x 2
155 x 4 (Felt nice and smooth on these going back to heavy weights next week)

Comments: Very nice workout felt very explosive today which is a good feeling to have. I have restarted my supplement regime, I have a EMS machine that is in the mail on it’s way to my house. This is a great way to start a week.

Today I ran a 12.4 100m dash which is .6 seconds better then last weeks time on cement track. I ran in the 2nd heat but something went wrong at about 50 m when I was pulling ahead my stride wasn’t doing well, my left knee wasn’t rising as high the right knee so it looked as though I was skipping on my right foot. (poor description but you can get the picture) I had the lead for 50-60m then something went wrong with my knee drive and I fell back to 2nd place, if there was someway I could correct this problem I would be sure to run a much better time. I think it might have something to do with my left hip flexor.

I also threw Discus at 104’ and Javelin at 101’ 6".

Workout-ME LB day

Weight training:

Power Clean:
135 x 3
155 x 3
175 x 3

Squats:
135 x 5
205 x 4
245 x 3
315 x 4
345 x 4 (could have got 5-6 if it werent for my left hip)

GHR’s:
BW x 1
BW x 1
BW x 1
BW x 1
BW x 1

Lunges:
2 x 8 @ 30 lbs dumbells

Plyo / Sprinting / Catching

Low hurdle hops 27":
3 sets of 8 hurdles (felt different and strange)

High hurdle hops 33":
3 sets of 5 hurdles (my abs started to twinge but I felt quick and explosive)

Football Catching and Throwing (learning how to catch with soft hands)

3 x 30m Push up start sprints

Comments: Overall good day first time I have had a full day in a long time. If I have the chance tomorrow I am going to do some conditioning short sprints but overall the conditioning sprints are all I have to do. At about 8:30 pm I am going to start a LB EMS Hi-Stim session.

I haven’t posted in this journal in a while but as summer approaches I am going to take a more serious route of my training which started today.

My new stats:
6’1"
40 yard- 4.62 (turf) 4.83 (all terrain track)
Bench Press- 270
Squat- 415
Deadlift-410

(lifting numbers are nice but the constant rotation of lifts that I do doesn’t allow for progression in a particular way but I feel doing different ME lifts ever 2-3 weeks betters my performance as an athlete as I am able to recruit different motor units)

1st Summer Session

Weightlifting

DB Shrugs:
2 x 30 @ 30 lbs

DB External Rotators:
2 x 30 @ 5 lbs

Speed - Bench Press:
8 x 3 @ 135 lbs

Effort - Power Clean:
5 x 2 @ 175 lbs

Volume - DB Crossover step up
3 x 10 @ 30 lbs

Lateral Lunge: (Testing it out)
4 reps with 35 lbs DB

Manual GHR’s:
BW x 3
BW x 2
BW x 1
BW x 1
BW x 4 (These are definantly getting easier to do then before so I am looking for great improvements in the exercise)

Comments: I think this was a decent day nothing special but the Power Cleans were tough but I got through them next week this is my last week of training before the BC camp so I am looking for great workouts to lead me into a great week.

2nd Summer Session

Weightlifting

Speed - Box Squats:
8 x 2 @ 205 lbs.
1 x 2 @ 255 lbs.

Effort - Bench Press:
5 x 2 @ 215 lbs

Volume - Hang Clean:
115 lbs x 3
135 lbs x 3
155 lbs x 3
175 lbs x 3 (PR)

Chin-ups:
BW x 4
BW x 4
BW x 5 (PR)

Comments: The squats wer fast and controlled, the Bench Press was hard 215 x 2 wasn’t a easy task, Hang Cleans were heavy but I was getting under them, Chin-ups are a strange thing because when I am at the bottom of the chin-up It doesn’t feel as though I can lift my bodyweight up but I just do it. Tomorrow I am going to be doing some change of direction work, I have decided to keep on lifting the way I do it except use Defrancos running program.

Linear Speed workout:

Dynamic Warm up:
Body squats x 10
Jumping jacks x 15
Seal jumping jacks x 10
Front skips — 20 yards down & back
Stationary side lunge x 8 each leg
Stationary leg swings (front & back) x 10 each leg
Stationary leg swings (side to side) x 10 ea. leg
60% Build-up sprint (arm & posture focus) — 30 yds. down and back
Lunge walk x 10 steps down and back
Backpedal x 20 yds. down and back
Frequency Phase

Low pogo jumps — 3 x 20 reps
High pogo jumps — 3 x 10 reps
85% Build-up sprint — 40 yds.

Speed workout

Hurdle hops
27 in. x 3 hops
30 in. x 3 hops
33 in. x 3 hops ( I am going to try that 36 another day)

Sprints:
6 x 20 yards, (1 min)
2 x 30 yards, (1 min)
1 x 40 yards

Comments: Today was a great day I felt light on my feet and explosive, the dynamic warm up does wonders. Defranco has done it again, tomorrow I am going to do the change of direction work and do my Strength Session 3. I feel a PR coming on for the 40 yard dash at the BC camp. From now on before any athletic event I am going to do JD’s Dynamic warm up and the Ground based mobility drills (didn’t do those today because I didn’t want to look like a idiot on the public track but now I don’t care so will be doing them now)