The road to College Football: Training journal

This log will be very informative as it will have my supplement habits and my individual workout’s including the sets and reps and weights that I work. This will also show my plyometric work and my acceleration progression from month to month up until the day of the combines/camps/track meets that I will go through.

At this current point in time my goals are to maintain my BF%, develop sprint acceleration, and increase overall Body Strength.

I use a Westside approach to my training and my progression of weights has been pretty good.
I am 220 lbs, 16-17% BF and 6’1.5".

Bench Press: (From 11/26/2004: 227) (To 01/19/2005: 256)
Deadlift: 415 (set 1/21/2005)
Squat: 410 (set 12/3/2004)
Power Clean: 205 (set 08/04/2004)

My PB in my sprints are: 100m-11.9, 40 yard-4.96, 20 yard shuttle-4.5

I don’t want to post the whole program that I am doing now in this one post as it is probably going to change but you’ll get the main idea of what I am doing about 2 weeks from now.

Damn FB your everywhere now elite,CF,BB,E-grounds you following me or something lol j/p. I had a question been meaning to ask you for a while why is your max bench 256 like how does that happen I thought weight only go up in increaments of 2.5,5,10. Gd luck with your training damn being saying that in all your journals

Well the 256 is an approximated max of me doing 235 x 3 and this approximation has always been true when it comes time to max.

Oh ight. Thought might have been a type or something

Looking forward to reading your journal mate!

Pre-workout: 2 Servings of Prometabolix Endure, 5 grams of CEE and 200 mg of Caffiene

Workout:

Bench Press:
125 x 10
155 x 8
180 x 6
210 x 4
220 x 3
250 x 1.5 (Actual PR)

Elbow out extensions:
25 x 8
25 x 8
30 x 7
45 x 6

Bent over Row:
135 x 8
155 x 8
155 x 7
155 x 6

Power Up right row:
115 x 8
115 x 8
115 x 6

Post-workout: Large amount of peanuts (close to 50 grams of protein worth, alot of sodium though), 1 Tbls of Glutamine Peptides, 2 grams of Microlactin, 1 Serving of Allthewhey conc/iso blend.

Workout Comments: Very strong day even though I got 1.5 reps of 250 on my own on the Bench Press. I found my weak point in my Bench Press and that is locking the heavy weight out. I got the bar off my chest and then hit a sticky point as soon as my elbows it 90 degrees and I am thinking my triceps are what are my weak point but I need to figure out how I am going to emphasize them in my workout. I am going to remove the Power Up right row and add in some tricep exercises, probably some floor presses. If the snow melts then I will be testing my 40 yard dash on cement.

Supplement Comments: I believe my supplements are now in full blast as I am setting major PR’s for my Bench and other lifts. I will be able to further comment on my recovery tommorrow. The effects of the Endure are harsh because as I am waiting for 45 minutes I can feel like bugs ar crawling in my face then my forearms it sucks but it is worth it.

Nice work on the PR … Would you mind telling me some more about Endure and also what position do you play?

Thanks for the comments… I play TE/DE

About the Prometabolix Endure you can find it here http://vitaplusonline.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=434.

It has 4.8 grams of Citrulline Malate and you can find out what that does here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jrod4.htm

It has 2.1 grams of Beta-Alanine and 700mg of Histidine you can find out what those do here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jrod5.htm

It has 1.4 grams of Taurine and you can find out what that does here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tallon3.htm

So far I have had remarkable results with this product so far, I am an animal in the weightroom and I am always pushing myself, I can’t weight to see the effects this has on my endurance, the only problem is the feeling you get before your working out and it is intense as you feel as though bugs are crawling in your skin but it’s not that bad.

Pre-workout: 2 scoops of Endure, 5 grams of CEE

Workout:

Bench Press:
130 x 10
155 x 8
180 x 6
210 x 4
225 x 3
250 x 1

Floor Press:
135 x 3
185 x 3
225 x 3
265 x 0
245 x 1
245 x 1

Elbow-out Extensions:
30 x 5
40 x 5
40 x 5

Bent-Over Row:
135 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 5

Post-workout: 1.4 liters of water, 1 serving of All the whey protien, 2.5 grams of CEE, 1 tbsp of Glutamine peptides, 1 tsp of Microlactin.

Comments: Decent workout went through all of my auxilaries now that the Hektic week we just had is over we can now continue on regular training. My Bent Over row was a hard workout. I have been reading more about weaknesses trying to figure out what are the best lifts to improve them, this way I will have a workout that is suited for myself and not for anyone else as we are all different. First time I was doing the floor press it went well as I pushed up 245 with ease. On friday it is Session B day which should be another PR day hopefully.

Recovery: My Lats are sore most likely for the Bent-over rows. My Chest is sore from the Bench Press and probably floor press.

Supplements: I really can’t comment on this section as I just went a week without taking them because of midterms, grades, snow and overall apathy. I am going to take them religously. I am also going to add L-tyrosine to my pre-workout matrix.

Appearence: Once again I look more vascular then I did yesterday but this happens when I have waken up after my first meal. I am going to take a picture soon and compare my pic I took 6-7 months ago and you’ll see the 10 lb difference as I have a little more fat which is noticeable in the stomach area which means I need to clean up my diet a little more.

Workout Changes: There are some changes that you guys will notice now which is my set up for my ME and DE Lower body days and that is some rep changes and the format will be like this: Power Clean, ME or DE Squats or Snatch grip Deadlifts, single leg supplement, posterior chain work. As a way of cycling my workouts I am never going to be able to do the same exercise twice in the 8 day cycle that I do.

Session A:
Bench Press: (percentages)
Floor Press: Max 1-3 reps
Elbows-out extensions or JM Presses: 3x5
Bent-Over Row: 3x5 or Dips: 3x6
Broad Jumps: 2x4 Stair Hops: 2x3 Tuck Jump: 2x4

Session B:
Power Clean: Max 1-2 reps
Squat or Snatch-grip Deadlift: Max 1-3 reps
Reverse Lunges or Single leg Squats w/ back leg elevated: 3x5 reps each leg
Assisted Glute-Ham Raises: 3x8 or RDL: 3x5 or Good-mornings: 3x5
Abs circuit: Weighted Abs x 10, Side Bends x 10, Bicycle x 10

Session C:
Bench Press: (percentages)
Floor Press: 8x3 @ 50-60% (1 min rest)
Elbows-out extensions or JM Presses: 3x15, 4x8
Bent-Over Row: 3x15, 4x8 or Dips: Max of BW
Broad Jumps: 2x4 Stair Hops: 2x3
Tuck Jump: 2x4

Session D:
Hang Clean: 3x3 @ 70%, 75%, 80% of Power Clean 1RM
Squat or Snatch-grip Deadlift: 8x1 @ 50%-60% (45 sec rest)
Reverse Lunges or Single leg Squats w/ back leg elevated: 3x15, 4x8 each leg
Glute-Ham Raises: 3 sets of Max BW or RDL: 3x15, 4x8 or Good-mornings: 3x15, 4x8
Abs circuit: Weighted Abs x 10, Side Bends x 10, Bicycle x 10

Any comments?

Pre-workout: 1 scoop of Prometabolix Endure, 5 grams of CEE

Workout:

Power Clean:
135 x 1
175 x 1
195 x 1
210 x 1 (PR)

40 yard dashes:
4.83 (PR)

Squats:
135 x 3
225 x 1
315 x 1
365 x 1
385 x 1
405 x 1 (very easy)

Single leg squats q/ back leg elevated:
45 x 4 (each leg)
65 x 4 (each leg)
75 x 4 (couldn’t do 2 with my right leg because of imbalance)

GHR’s:
BW x 2 (2nd one assisted)
BW x 3 (2-3 assisted)
BW x 3 (" ")

Comments: not much to say

I think you do too much. Keep it simple and things will progress better. You must be patient. Heres a look at something i would try.

Session 1

1. ME Upper(max out in 3-5 rep range)
  2. Rep work for triceps(DB work, dips, take ur pick, 8-12)
  3. Rep work for back(rows, pull ups, etc, 8-12)
  4. Preventative shoulder work(external rotations, scarecrows, face pulls, etc, 12-15)
  5. Abs(depends on how in shape u are, but id say at least 100 reps)

Session 2(posible sprint session)

1. Acc. training
  2. Plyo

Session 3

1. ME Lower(again in 3-5 rep range)
  2. Unilateral(bulgarians, step ups,etc…8-12 rep range)
  3. Hamstrings(glute hams, rdl’s, etc 8-12)
  4. Abs

You can just keep alternating every other day, so you have three high intensity days. Also you could have a sprint session and alternate between upper, sprint, lower, then start it over again after the weekend. Just a thought. Tempo work on the bike on off days should keep the pressure off ur joints and give u the cardiovascular requirements for recovery, and help with bodyfat. Diet is also a big factor. Be sure to unload every two or three weeks. You can do this via not doing the max effort move and lightening up on the repition lifting. Good luck with your endevour.

Pre-workout: 1 serving of Protmetaboliz Endure, 5 grams of CEE

Workout: Speed Bench Day

Bench Press:
130 x 10
155 x 8
180 x 6
210 x 4
225 x 3
250 x 2 (PR) *funny thing is I could have had three but I am maxing out next week I need to save my strength

Floor Press:
130 x 3
130 x 3
130 x 3
130 x 3
140 x 3
140 x 3
140 x 3
140 x 3 (sweating by now this is my speed exercise)

JM Press:
45 x 15
55 x 15
60 x 13 (Damn these are tough on the triceps)

Dips:
BW x 5 (no concentration, conditions in the weightroom prevented me from doing more)

Post-workout: Rice w/ beans and Turkey, 1 Tbsp of Glutamine Peptides, 2.5 grams of Microlactin and 1 serving of All the whey protein blend

Comments: Workout went very well, My Bench Press has just been skyrocketing I don’t know what it is whether it is the Supplements or my changing around my routine all I know Is that it is moving up and so are my other lifts in the process. My Recovery has been poor as of lately my Lower Body is still sore and that is expected as I destroyed my legs, I didn’t do plyo’s ior abs today because of time restraints. I know some of you are saying that 2 x 250 on the bench isn’t speed but it is because I can’t lift that weight without a quality amount of speed on the Bar or else I will get buried.

where was the speed bench on the last session there…

The floor press was my “speed bench.” I do my speed floor presses after I Maximum effort Bench. When I move back to my 3x10 phase you’ll see what I am talking about.

Pre-workout: 5 grams of CEE, 1 heaping scoop of Endure

Workout: DE lower body

Power Clean:
185 x 3
205 x 1
225 x 0

REA Squats:
205 x 1
205 x 1
205 x 1
205 x 1
205 x 1
205 x 1

REA Split-Squat cycles:
95 lbs x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5

Glute Ham Raisies:
BW x 0 (Hamstrings still sore from Mondays workout)

Comments: Poor workout but everything is going to be somewhat fine I am going to max out on Monday on the Squat and Wednesday I am going to max out on Bench Press and Friday I am going to max out on my Power Clean.

If I have 3 good days I can get 270 on the Bench Press, 385 x 6 on the Squat and 225 in the Power Clean or somewhere in the mid 400’s for my Deadlift.

My Recovery from my lifts have been very poor because my hamstrings are still shot 4 days after a lift and my chest still hurts 2 days after lifting. The past few weeks these things were unheard of now it is common I wonder what is going on?

Pre-workout: 5 grams of CEE, 1 serving of Endure

Workout:

Bench Press:
230 x 1
240 x 1
255 x 1
270 x 3/4 (Damn my Lockout is so weak, I need to train it severly the next 8 week lifting cycle)
*When I started this stack I was doing 210 x 2 in 01/02/05 and now I am doing 265-270 x 1 in 02/14/05, It could be a surge of testosterone from puberty or the supplement and diet it’s your call, The results speak for themselves.

Floor Press:
135 x 3
185 x 3
235 x 0

Comments: I am maxing out this week to assess my weak points for my next 8 week lifting cycle and the stuff I must accentuate. Coach wants me to try 270 again on Friday to see if I can get it. So far the focus for my next program is going to be more reduced volume because of track season, posterior chain and my triceps. I have decided that Saturdays are now going to be my Combine training day during track season in where I try to perfect the techniques in Joe Defranco’s video for the Broad Jump, 40 yard dash, Vertical Jump and Pro Agility shuttle. I am going to Max out for reps on the Squat at 365 and see how much I can get, I am aiming for 6-8 reps at best.

PS-I just got CFTS going to read it but I need to someway transport it and I am not going to print out 198 pages at my house, my school librarian looks at me strange when I am printing out 10 page articles by DB Hammer imagine this, Any Ideas on where to print this out?

public library, and i why arent you maxing out on the squat?

Pre-workout: 5 grams of CEE, 1 serving of Endure!

Workout:
Squat:
315 x 7 (tough as hell)

Deadlifts:
225 x 1
315 x 1
385 x 1
415 x 1 (PR)

Leg Curls:
(Playing around with some lightweight)

Comments: I think I set a DL PR i need to look at my archives and check, My squat was strange as I only got 7 reps at 315 it means that my GPP is not optimal and I am extremely out of shape. I am going to add GPP to my training to see where I can get before track.