The forgotten Rectus Fem...

To train the knee drive we use elastic bands or a low cable machine.

If you are looking for an isometric exercise then I would suggest the EQI 1-legged squat, with modifications to duration and load with respect to the sport and your goals. The 1-legged squat can also be used dynamically to hit the RF since it can involve both hip flexion and knee extension of the back leg.

Good topic.

How does one go about doing the 1- legged squat???.. I have tried some variations but you need exceptional balance and I lose patience because I cannot perform them properly…

The 1-legged squat is explained in this thread: http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=4563&page=3&pp=15

If you can’t perform an exercise properly then that is a sign that something is wrong! You either need to practice the exercise until you can perform it correctly, or correct whatever issues are preventing you from performing it correctly.

Not being able to perform the 1-legged squat indicates that you are lacking in one or more of the qualities required to perform it correctly (obviously). This exercise is so similar to the sprinting action that it is possible whatever is keeping you from performing this exercise correctly is also holding back your sprinting progress.

Its important to note that during a sprint RF & hamstrings have much more definite patterns of reciprocal activity then during a vertical jump/ or squat. This is where the problem is, if resistance programs are going to be designed to be specific for the sprint then they can will lead to pitfall failure since the biomechanics of sprinting cannot be mimiced in resistance exercise’s.

For example the RF function in a sprint is to transfer elastic energy from the hip to the ankle joint, the angular velocities of these two joints are 11.97 rads-1 & 21.50 rads-1 ( 1 rad= 57.3 deg). The recruitment of neuromuscular firing patterns in a sprint cannot be reproduced in resistance programs.

x x

Please explain why you believe this to be true.

I think we all know it’s close to impossible to exactly produce the same neuromuscular demand in one exercise/drill that is displayed in another drill/skill/exercise. The goal is to closely mimic the skill as closely as possible, or to simply improve one aspect of that skill at a time. Resistance training can improve recruitment patterns in relation to sprinting by improving synchronization of motor units and neural drive to the muscles thereby displaying a positive effect on inter- and intra-muscular coordination. Why the critical look at resistance training?

Inability to perform a 1-legged squat typically indicates instability at the hip. How about somebody recommending some progressions here? Practice lunges, progress to a single-leg stability exercise (standing on one leg like a crane), practice lunges with a crane maneuver, attempt a stiff-leg deadlift walk (keep the legs straight with knees slightly bent, kick one leg up and step forward onto that leg, stand up, kick the other leg forward, etc.). Perhaps practice single-leg hops (hopping straight forward, make sure to stop to stabilize, and continue) and standing hip abduction exercises (attach a cable to one leg and abduct the hip, targeting the gluteus medius, this works one gluteus medius dynamically, and the other isometrically). Make sure to stretch the adductors, calves, and peroneals. After all this, try a single leg squat (i’ve seen improvement in 2 weeks and sometimes 6 months, it’s always different).

Exactly. For an action as complex as sprinting it is certainly ill-advised to add resistance without expert biomechanical knowledge. However, as you say, you can improve one aspect of the skill at a time with only minor knowledge of biomechanics.

Interesting progression. However, why make it take this long? The 1-legged squat should not be that difficult for an athlete to perform.

There are two basic reasons that people cannot perform 1-legged squats: 1) Weak extensor muscles 2) Tight hip flexors

If your problem is the former, then you need to work on strength in bilateral movements before progressing to any form of unilateral movement.

If your problem is the latter, then I would suggest EQI 1-legged squats. Your ROM will be poor at first, but will increase quickly. If you have sufficient leg strength then standing on one leg with the other one propped-up on a bench should not be much of challenge, since the proprioceptive depends of this exercise are not that great.

If your proprioception is truly that poor, then just stand on one leg for time. When this becomes easy, attempt to do it with your eyes closed.

However, most athletes should not have this problem assuming they have had any adequately diverse sport background.

I agree and I disagree, hip flexor tightness may affect range of motion, but certainly not the ability to do a 1-legged squat, even if it is not a “full” range of motion. Varying degrees of mechanical imbalance will affect progression, and the primary reason I have seen athletes have difficulty with a 1-legged squat is instability at the hip, and a lack of mobility in the adductors. Sometimes there is a difference in leg length as well (this would explain the six-month progression) which affects everything. Interesting points, though. In bilateral movements athletes should always be conscious of any assymetrical hip shifting, this has negative effects on single leg movements. The reason I progress to a hop progression, is that I place a premium on developing impact-demand stability, that is stability where the body makes impact with the ground and stabilizes. I feel that this proprioceptive feedback is quite possibly the most valuable form of “isolated” stability training in relation to transference. Everyone always remember proprioception is only as good as your joint position. Stabilizing a poor spinal position or hip/knee/ankle position serves no benefit.

I’m confused in other posts many of the members have stated that one should not try to make strength training ‘specific’, use it only to increase organism strength. Yet, this post would seem to indicate otherwise?

My training for specificity has more to do with the speed dynamics principle: joint position dictates recruitment. ROM and loading parameters are relative to the needs (structural and physiological differences) and goals (what type of strength, speed is necessary) of the athlete. The best way to get better at sprinting is to work at sprinting but you can compliment your training with a good resistance training program. Do not confuse training for hypertrophy (bodybuilder training) and training for athletics. A simple example can demonstrate this: the leg press, back squat, front squat, hack squat all appear to be the same exercise (combination of hip and knee extension), but the amount of hip or knee extension and the stabilization demands of these exercises are all different. Each exercise may have its place in a program, but one is not a substitute for another. Even a squat’s demands can change depending on ROM. Coming forward on the squat more over the toes will increase knee extension and going backwards and dropping the hips will increase hip extension. The important thing is to separate whether you are working on moving resistance from point A to point B and back to point A, or are you planning on specifically loading muscle groups. The demand will change but do you know why it is changing? I ask all of the coaches I work with if they know the difference between these exercises, and most of them have absolutely no idea! They just think if the squat racks are full, I’ll put my athletes on the leg press without realizing the difference!! Compare this to sprinting in the 100, 200, and 400. Are these runs very similar, yes. But are they also very, very different? ABSOLUTELY!! The principle of specificity is extremely important here! The fact that some coaches and trainers use unstable surfaces for training athletes (like dyna-discs, wobble boards, etc.) in stabilization and that they have no idea about the differences between unstable training and training on a stable surface is crazy!! The neural pathways and recruitment of alpha and gamma motor neurons is entirely different and your body treats the two like apples and oranges, they are similar but completely unrelated!!

Sorry if this sounds like a rant.

I think we may be referring to different variations of the 1-legged squat. I am referring to the version where one foot is on the floor and the other is on a bench in back of the athlete. I believe you are referring to the version where one foot is on the floor and the other is held up in front of the athlete (what Pavel calls the “pistol”).

Certainly, for the “pistol” many athletes will have trouble due to hip instability and just being too damn weak. For the 1-legged squat variation I was referring to, in my experience the most common limiting factor is hip flexor inflexibility.

The ability to absorb force (“impact-demand stability”) is certainly very important. However, it doesn’t really have much transfer to the 1-legged squat.

Good point about proper positioning.

This issue is far from settled in the U.S., Canada, and Western Europe.

However, the Russians and their former allies realized a long time ago that specific exercises greatly improved the performance of their athletes. In these countries there is no longer a debate on this topic.

Yeah, I meant impact-demand stability in relation to overall transference and not to the one-legged squat and yes again, I was thinking of the other one-legged squat in which the non-working leg is unassisted. I can see hip-flexor tightness being an issue. Good points.

1- When designing resistance programs the volume of heavy-resistance exercises is a important factor, the total volume of work performed during a session determines the magnitude of GH & testosterone response. When comparing the relative loads & volume of lifting of general verse specific lifts, both intensity and volume is reduced. Therefore the hormonal response & tissue adaptations are both negatively impacted with specific protocols.

2- The unique nature of hamstrings to perform eccentric work during flight phase, and thereby re-utilizing elastic energy stores from support. This can never be replicated or evenly closely mimicked with resistance programs.

3_ Evaluations of strength and conditioning programs designed by sports scientists have resulted in sub-optimal performances for their athletes.

I would go further and say, that resistance programs that are designed specifically for sprinters wont just end up in failure but also prematurely end the careers of many sprinters.

B.S. Did you copy that out of a book or what? I don’t mean to be argumentative but you didn’t even actually answer the question.

How is volume and intensity reduced in general vs. specific lifting? Says who?

How about this: when comparing relative loads & volume of lifting of general versus specific lifts, both intensity and volume is increased thereby creating a positive hormonal response & tissue adaptation. Now, are we right? That’s not an actual answer, that’s an opinion. Have you ever heard coaches say (tudor bompa for instance) to build special endurance for a sport, do “HIGH”-volume and “HIGH”-intensity work!!

Nobody is trying to mirror sprinting with lifting, the goal is to compliment it.

Where did you get your information? Have you ever heard of Frankie Fredericks? How about Michael Johnson?

In fact, with Michael Johnson (read Slaying the Dragon) it was a specific resistance training program that actually saved his career and allowed for a 19.32 second 200-meters. In college, battling injuries and tempted to retire from sprinting, michael started an aggressive resistance training program and bam, extended his career almost 15 years!!

Premature end to their careers? for who? I haven’t heard this kind’ve “wisdom” since the 70’s!

I think you have to be more “specific” in your answer. Nobody has said that we would have athletes try to lift weights while doing a sprinter’s drill. But that we would closely mimic joint position. I think you may be referring to coaches who maintain inappropriate training volumes in season. “In season” training should be more general, because there is already plenty of “specific” work done in the athletes sport.

Your opinions on this subject about specificity depend on your definition of what specific is? What exactly do you think specific training is?

This has nothing to do with specific versus general work. Just because you do specific work does not mean that the “hormonal response & tissue adaptations” are negatively impacted. Specific and general work can both be done with either high or low volumes and high or low intensities. Furthermore, the primary goal of an athlete’s training is not to elicit large hormonal responses.

So, the re-utilization of elastic energy never occurs outside of sprinting?

You can’t make a blanket statement like this. It is true that many sport scientists in the West are very poor at applying their knowledge. However, coaches in the former Soviet Union and East Germany worked closely with researchers to analyze and make changes to an athlete’s plan. I don’t believe there is any way you can say they weren’t successful.

Again, why? What about specific work makes you think it will result in more injuries?

I appreciate your explanations. Please do not feel this is a personal attack, because there are certainly many coaches that agree with your position. I have honestly never understood why they feel this way. Hopefully you can continue to shed some light on this question.

Agreed, Tony. There is nothing that is a law in what is being stated on training specificity. All the factors and variables in hormonal balance, elastic energy, etc., can be manipulated to be a positive and not a negative with proper periodization. I don’t get it either. But you’re right, it’s not an attack, i think we’re just looking for a “real” answer.

Well I was doing some long ISO Hold pushups yesterday and what do you know my VMO and rectus femoris was hammered!

If you think about it the leg position and tension is like holding a leg extension lockout and start of a hanging leg raise. But unlike a hanging leg raise tension is right there at the start position :slight_smile:

Should get you guys thinking maybe :cool:

Definitely. EQI movements tax the stabilizers to a much greater extent than traditional movements. This is why they are fantastic for analysis of an athlete. I can immediately tell is someone’s abs are weak (among other things) just by having them perform an EQI push-up.