THE 100m WORLD RECORD WILL FALL BY THE EFFORTS OF ASAFA POWELL

you can check also MoG in Edmonton (with headwind)

90m Splits:
BJ (9.79) 8.89 (From Official Splits)
MoG (9.79) 8.94 (From My Video Analysis)
Montgomery (9.78) 8.90 (From PJ’s Analysis)
Powell (9.77) 8.92 (From PJ’s Analysis)

I would say that Ben lost around 0.03-0.04 in his last 10m due to the celebration.

Montgomery also threw his hands up in the last 1-2metres which cost him around 0.01-0.02

Thanks, Spaceman!

iF ben lost this time for the celebration, how manu hundreths lost Mo in Edmonton?

We’ve discussed this on these forums before and the conversation was quite interesting. In my opinion considering the Splits I got for Greene from 70m onwards (7.16, 8.02, 8.91 & 9.82) suggest to me that without the injury he could’ve run 9.74-9.75. I know PJ estimated that Greene could’ve run 9.78 without the injury, and many have said that Greene could’ve run 9.74-9.77 witohut the injury including Greene himself.

I would love to see a mythical match-up between Greene and Johnson in their primes on the Athens track in great weather conditions. Now THAT would’ve been a great race.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/html/20050617T210000-0500_82599_OBS_WE_PLANNED_THIS_WORLD_RECORD__SAYS_FRANCIS.asp

We planned this World Record, says Francis

Observer Reporter
Saturday, June 18, 2005

Stephen Francis, the coach responsible for guiding Asafa Powell over the last four years, has been hailed for his role in guiding locally based athletes - not least Powell - to world standard. The following is an edited version of Francis’ impromptu statement during a televised reception in the Hospitality Room of the Norman Manley International Airport shortly after he arrived alongside Powell from Athens, where the sprinter broke the 100-metre world record, setting a new mark of 9.77 seconds.

I may seem a bit ‘underwhelmed’ about all this, but the truth is it was not really that big a surprise. It was something which Asafa and I sat down after the Olympics last year and outlined as a major goal for this year. So it is a relief and I am happy that he has achieved one of those goals for this season.

The other goal that he has achieved is that he is now the top male athlete in track and field, which is a first for any Jamaican and he is ranked above all the other superstars … we have other goals which we want to achieve, but in 2001 when I saw Asafa running at the National Stadium at Champs I was immediately attracted to him mainly because nobody knew him, including me. And at that time, it was inconceivable that any of the top athletes would want to stay in Jamaica to train, so I focused on him. I figured he had good prospects.

I would be lying if I told you at the time that I thought he would be at this point now. At the time I didn’t have that much confidence in myself as a coach, because I had just started.
And I didn’t know that we had the support structure around us to get to this kind of level. But … some people played a very prominent role in the transformation of Asafa to what he is now, starting firstly with his parents, who allowed him to stay the course…

A lot of other parents, when he started to run faster, would have decided to ship him off to the States, especially with his brother being there. I believe his brother was also a coach.
But Donovan (brother) and his parents and Nigel (brother) took the decision that Asafa was going to stay and see what would happen here. There was also Dr (Rae) Davis, Dennis Johnson and Anthony Davis… the people responsible for sports at UTech who have allowed a programme like this to develop there.

Then there is the track house … where it all starts, where the athletes live… The conditions might not be great, but there is a new house which the athletes are moving into in September and I am sure that will help us to continue this kind of work. And of course in addition, there are the people who Asafa trains with.

Brigitte (Foster) is the standard bearer here. She was the first person to show that we can be on top of the world right here. I think that her dedication and her attitude to training has been invaluable to all the other athletes, Sherone (Simpson), Asafa, Michael (Frater), Jermaine Mason … everybody has learnt a lot from her and if it wasn’t for her I don’t think we could really achieve what we have achieved in MVP (track club). And of course, we have a lot of other people like Bruce James, our masseurs, our sports staff, our strength coach. A lot of people, doctors… and most importantly Liz Robinson (physiotherapist) who passed away (earlier this year) was a huge source of help to us…

Whenever Asafa had anything wrong with him, Liz would always find the time, anytime of day or night to treat him free, and I think that was extremely important for us.

There are other medical persons, Dr Blake, Dr Chow, who we have depended on. … It was a team effort and I want to congratulate Asafa again and to let him know that even though it doesn’t look as if I am happy … as far as yesterday (Tuesday) went, he did very, very well. But to remind him and everybody else, that this thing has just begun and we have many, many more goals to achieve.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/html/20050617T210000-0500_82596_OBS_ANOTHER_WORLD_RECORD_.asp

Another world record?
Coach claims Asafa will run even faster this year

Garfield Myers
Saturday, June 18, 2005

He has no idea how much faster Asafa Powell can go, but coach Stephen Francis is certain that this year his young sprinter will take the 100-metre world record even lower than the 9.77 seconds he set in Athens on Tuesday.

“I don’t know how much faster Asafa can run because in sprinting, how fast you run depends a lot on conditions, where you run, how humid it is, how high it is, the wind, the competition, the adrenaline that is flowing and so on. So I can’t tell you… but I know that he will run faster than 9.77 seconds this year…,” Francis told Sporting World late Wednesday, shortly after a welcoming ceremony for Powell at the Norman Manley International Airport.

Francis’ confidence stems from the belief that based on training methodology and with the World Championships in Helsinki still six weeks away, his athlete is still some distance from peak condition.

“Hopefully not, and judging from his history, it isn’t so,” said Francis, when asked if there was a danger that Powell, who is now the world’s number one male athlete, had in fact already peaked.

“We always run faster later in the Summer and I don’t think that this year will be an exception. We are trying to see if we can get him to handle instructions about how to run his rounds, which is the difficulty he had last year,” he said.

Last year, Powell placed a disappointing fifth in the Olympic 100-metre final (10.94) in the Olympic Stadium - the very same venue of Tuesday’s triumph - after running impressively in the rounds and entering the final as the clear favourite and the top-ranked male sprinter in the world.
According to Francis, who had gained acclaim for his great success with local athletes in his MVP track club, even before the coming of Powell, the latter would have broken the world record last season had he encountered ideal conditions.

“I knew from last season that when we were finished with him down in August/September he would be able to break the existing world record any time he got favourable conditions,” he said. “I felt he could have done it last year, but he had a big problem with the wind in the races that he had. This year he has had a bit more luck… and I have been expecting him to go this fast from the season started,” Francis added.
After the events of last season, the big challenge, said Francis, was to get the 22 year-old refocused.

“There were two things that could have happened (after last year),” claimed Francis.

“The first thing is that despite all the disappointment about his performance in the Olympics, he had a season that was a whole lot better than he could have ever imagined. He was obviously the number one sprinter in the world and the question in my mind was how do I get him to not rest on those laurels; to get him hungry to come back knowing that he could do a lot better. The other possibility was that he could have used the disappointment of the Olympics to almost give up and to implode almost…” he said.

The danger of demotivation was averted with the help of support staff, team-mates, friends and the policy of constantly “discussing stuff” with Powell, as well as goal-setting.

And in the build-up to the World Champs, Francis says the course will involve methodical training and very selective competition - the emphasis being on maintaining form and building to a peak.

“He (Powell) understands that right now he has raced a lot more than he normally does at this time of the year… and we are pretty much going to go back into a period of training now. Apart from the National Trials next week, he will only race two or three more times before the World Championships and our emphasis will be on preparing him for the World Championships, and the major meets …” said Francis.

He claims that Powell’s virtual unknown status at high school - the world record holder attended the unheralded Charlemont High - has made him more ‘coachable’.

"Asafa has the advantage … that he was never a high school star and when I started coaching him, he had never had a formal coach before, so you will find that he doesn’t have any expectation in his mind, as to what he can do or what he should be doing, he just does it because he wants to do it and he is encouraged …

“You find that he doesn’t really know what his potential is, even when I say to him ‘Boy, you know you can run this fast’ he says ‘Yeah’ because he doesn’t understand just how fast he can go … It is easy with him. A lot of the athletes that I coach were never great stars at high school. We are trying to pick athletes like that because we figure that accomplishing on the senior level is more about attitude than talent,” he said.