terrell owens...

some of terrell’s training is outlined here, now is it me or does he have a lot of volume. not sure how accurate this is.

http://maxsportsmag.com/performancecondition/issue36/36pc1.htm

What? No power cleans?? Just kidding LOL.:smiley:

Why is he using such high reps?

Leg extensions follow. “I don’t want to get too big, so I work out to keep my speed and strength rather than working for size.”

A typical exercise would see him do 6 sets of the movement with a 20/20/16/16/12/12 rep scheme.

hmmmm…

You can pretty much count on me eating grilled chicken and egg whites on the days I work out

i guess im off base then, i was under the impression that the body rebuilt itself 24/7 espcailly on non-training days, therefore needs high quality protein around the clock everyday…i guess i was wrong.

did somebody say, “despite his methods”?

you see how cut he is… I get that way from drinking milk and eating lots of potatoes…:o:mrt::sing::baddevil:::borg::karate::cool::mad::P;)

its hard to believe he doesn’t perform any oly movements, gh raises, reverse hypers, and so on. if that article is accurate on his training, i am inclined to believe he is not near his potential, due to lack of explosive movements. one thing is for sure, he is on one hell of an off-season supplementation program.

It is unlikely that this is the way Owens trains. It defies common training priciples, you play how you train. I find it easier to believe that Owens is in his base, or hypertrophy phase, and some no nothing reporter only tells half the story(similar to that report on Marion Jones and Charlie in Sports Illustrated a couple weeks ago.) The reporter probably does not even know how many meters one lap is.

“It is not enough to seek it… Victory must be attained.” Ayn Rand.

It sure looks like garbage to me but we’ve all seen freaks get by on worse programs than this one. Talent outweighs everything else.

If this truely is the way he trains, then I would have to agree with marshall and say that he is good in spite of his program. Makes you wonder what he could do if he got on a sane program…

xlr8

I gotta say I remember John Madden saying, during the niners playoff game this year, while showing a pregame warmup clip of TO, that TO had worked on his fast twitch fibers.

Madden was like “fast twitch fibers I wonder what it looks like. That must be what it looks like. BOOM!”

(maybe without the BOOM!)

Therefore this must not be his program ALL the time.

I would not be surprised if this was his regimen. Most of the training I see the pros do flat out sucks. you see so much Hammer Strength in the training facilities. Teams seem to be getting away from free weights and going more toward machines. Give me the standard Nebraska or Iowa programs. They get some seriously performance in terms of strength. Speed may be a different thing all together. T.O. is a bit of a genetic freak. He could probably do yoga and be a better football player than 99% of the guys in the NFL.

May I also point out that schools such as U of Miami and U of Florida use free-weight training programs that are mainly based on olympic style lifts. I think the results speak for themselves!

What’s the rationale behind machine training and other training methods used by the pros in the weight room.

Does the reason they do that differ from college?

Everybody is concerned with reinventing the wheel. It is as though strength coaches are just that, strength coaches. All a great majority are concerned with is the testing scores of the athletes in the weight room. A true athletic preparation coach would look at what the athlete needs and prescribe correspondingly to address the weakness. Be it flexibility, strength, speed. They say a chain is only as good as it’s weakest link. I believe many coaches are given money for using certain equipment. Thats how some inferior equipment lands in some training facilities. It is kind of a built fault of the system. The strength coach is paid to make strong athletes, not better football players!

Many pro players are very aware of the ineffectiveness of specialHIT programs and therefore work with coaches(or alone or with other players) other than the official strength coaches of their teams during the offseason.

I currently go to UNC-Chapel Hill. There is a book in the library written by one of our strength coaches, title is something like “52 Week Training Program for Football” or something to that effect.

I won’t be so bold to say its terrible, but its far from ideal IMO. Before it even gets to the training program, the coach says that hypertrophy is the main focus of the program as it works to insulate/support joints and bones and provide additional resistance to injury. Since reading this text, I have read essays by Mel Siff saying that sacroplasmic hypertrophy can actually increase the chance of an injury during athletic events.

Rarely in the program (maybe 4 or 6 weeks out of the year) do the reps on any set get down to 4. No where were they less than 4 on any exercise or movement. Lots of single joint isolation exercises too. Rest between sets is highly controlled.

Then I read a similar book by a strength coach at Nebraska. This one seemed much better, and much better for football as well. Of course both books were published in the mid 90s so a lot could have changed since then.

I’m just a 20 year old kid who might minor or take a 2nd major in exercise science.

I’m currently training myself for club football next fall (real football, real pads, real plays, played by students and grad students, we play against other university’s club teams, and one game against a really small college team). If Clemson has a club team, they are probably very similar. Its a step higher than an intermural sport, basically guys who played in high school but weren’t good enough or were too small to play at the next level.

Most of the guys who play dont train for it, most of them do lift weights but mainly with magazine bodybuilder routines. I’ve been lifting recreationally for a while, but I realized if I changed my training to athletic training I would have a huge advantage over guys who just train bench and biceps. I see this as a way to give myself a huge advantage. So I’ve read about 10 books from the library (some great, some trash), spent a ton of time online reading articles, and am working on my 2nd program. I just finished my first 9 week training cycle, I’m currently deconditioning at the moment (time for more research!) and I’m taking this time to work on my next program. I use a mix of olympic lifting and powerlifting techniques, and so far all of my training is strength and power based (no sprinting yet, no plyometrics). Right now I have about 3-4 weeks of my next program written out, but I’m not sure how I should periodize/continue it, if I should fade out some lifting and add sprinting, etc.

So, while I dont agree with the methods that the rest of my “teamates” use, I certainly agree with the ones I use :slight_smile:

J.

going away from such excessive hypertrophy. Most of the modern NFL players look more like a combination between NBA and football. Guys like Lavar Arrington, Jevon Kearse, and even some lineman are fairly lithe. I bodybuild competitively and as a result of excessive arm size 21", have a difficult doing proper cleans. Too much interference between bicep and forearm. Can’t get proper degree of rotation for my hand to finish in right position. When I just trained for football and was 220, I could do cleans no problem. I also agree that too much mass makes you more injury prone. I am not so sure it has too do with just plain mass or imbalances in program design. I train my athletes to be as fast and as strong as possible while playing at a weight that does not put them at a disadvantage for their position.