Tempo on hills

I know this has probably been asked before, but could one do extensive tempo work on hills or is it too intense?

I was thinking of the exact thing this morning. Would there be a lower impact because there is an incline? Would it help boost general fitness a bit more because it is more challenging than flat grass? I’m just thinking around a 5 degree hill. Thoughts?

a long as you are going <75% of what you could at that distance on the hill then i don’t see why not. it probably would help strengthn hip flexors too. However, if you do it and find you are not recovered the next day for speed then i would say to avoid it.

I’d be concerned if the terrain was a straight hill but a hill componant withing the run should be very doable. An example woule be 250s with the final 50 up a slight grade. We did a variation of that with 10 x 250 with direction changes (because of the short break) so first rep up at the end and second down at the start, and so on.

CF, what do you think would be better for tempo
A straight grass hill (5 degree incline) or a flat asphalt trail?
Some days the football field is too far and I don’t have a way of getting there.

Well grass is always preferred but inorder to return to the start point, the break would be too long for extensive tempo. That’s why we used the pattern we did with the hills. if the hill is very shallow, why couldn’t you go both directions?

Yup today I just went [uphill 50, downhill 50, uphill 50]x8…rest between reps was walk downhill 50.

How did it go, was it more difficult or tiring that flat grass?

I’m not in good shape, pretty tiring and I’m hardly sore today.
If the field was closer I’d definitely use that though