tempo and stretching

Just a couple questions here.

1. Is there a point to hammering out tempo? In certain workouts we’ll do tempo hard, so for example 8x200, 2 sets of this with the 200’s going at 30 seconds with 30 seconds rest will have me on my knees at the end of a set, can this have extra benefits i.e endurance etc. or does this have negetive effects on trying to do a flush, one of the main points of tempo? I train for the 400m. we also do long runs once a week, about 25-40 minutes, any thoughts on this?

2. Recently I’ve incorporated microstretching into my routine. So in my warmup ill do an active warmup with regular stretching and after practice ill do 45 minutes of microstretching.

Anybody incorporate microstretching into their routine? and if so at what time (morning, after/before practice) and what time and what other stretches do you do? thanks!

You’re running the tempos too hard. And 30 seconds is a little short for 200m. I would recommend doing a 200m recovery walk between the 200s.

Tempo should be run at a conversational pace. In other words if there was someone running next to you, you would be able to talk to that person while running. That’s not to say you won’t be breathing hard, but you should not be panting.

The microstretching (or any form of prolonged static stretching) is best done after the workout, while the tissue is still warm. In addition to flexibility training it’s also a nice way to relax the muscles and speed up recovery.

Don’t you think it would be more beneficial to use Hot/Cold contrasts baths for a flush, and not rely on pedestrian paced tempo for that. I find tempo is an excellent chance to ‘get some work done’, and Flash I don’t really see how dogg’n tempo would benefit any part of a 400m.

IMO, tempo should be the first means for a flush out with others being complementary and of course, they help.

Tempo will undoubtedly help a 400 m-runner, but not in a “Special-Endurance” sense, if this is what you mean -although it could be used as an introduction.

Thoughts?

I definitely find that doing tempo has not only helped my 400m race, but also my in-workout and post-workout recovery. I would do tempo before any additionional form of relief.

As far as stretching is concerned, I’ve also benefited by doing a 30-45 min stretching session after workouts. I had a tendency of neglecting stretches in the past, but find I’m more relaxed and less stiff into a season now.

Perhaps I’m missing the point of a ‘Flush’ here. But It just seems to me, with the overall intensity of a 400m -working your way quite vigorously through all your body’s energy systems, that it would be remiss to not use tempo to some extent to get aerobic work done(On off days we do do long runs as well 20-45 mins). For example, yesterday after 630meters of various sets of speed endurance in flats (we raced on sunday) for tempo we had a 600m breakdown, thats 600m, 500m, 400m all the way down to 100m with 100m brisk walks as rests.

I’m not sure would you consider this, or 8x200m@32secs with 30secs rest SpecEndurance? If so, what could be the problem with that. I mean even if it was, we have over 48hours before we’d engange in anything similar.

To simplify, I think ‘canspeed’ might be a little confused about where his training program lies on the spectrum of training philosophies between CF and Clyde Hart. I know they are polarized in some regards.

Thoughts?

I think Nikoluski is trying to say tempos primary objective is for recovery, not to “get work done”.

If you are trying to “get work done” it can be accomplished on a special endurance day.

Granted the 32 seconds should be well within the tempo range, but what is the hurry for the 30 second rest between runs.

Please, read again the first paragraph of the original post of this thread (“Canspeed”); this is no tempo, but rather the definition perhaps of intermediate speeds, which is not supported but the majority of this forum for reasons well explained in the past. Details of the actual pace percentage-wise are not given, but the aim of the session is recovery and this is not served.

As such, tempo is the chance for some “aerobic work done” that indirectly facilitates performance, but its main purpose is the recovery from high intenity days and ANY pace that goes between and against this purpose of your workout should not be employed.

Again this doesn’t go along with the “CF Training System” -trying to clarify this for “Canspeed”, too- as Speed Endurance, or any other high intensity training element usually is not combined with a tempo workout. If the down-pyramid was at a pace <75% for you, then this was a tempo workout, but IMO it would be best used the following day of Speed Endurance (the latter at ~95%).

Again, calculate the corresponding intensity for you personally of those 32s-200 m runs and you have the “label” of your workout. There is no problem with Speed Endurance; the problem is what you are doing between those high-intenity sessions. If those 200s are Speed Endurance for you with a Speed session following and another Speed Endurance (after 48h as you say), then you may eventually have a problem.

IMO, “Canspeed” should regard the described workout as Speed/Special Endurance at best (if times are appropriate for him), if not as one of intermediate speeds, but not tempo.
The previous post of mine also clarifies things, thanks!

Last year I was confused between CF and Clyde Hart as well, and would up “getting work done” when I should have been recovering. For me tempo is all about recovery now … that’s it, that’s all!

I occasionally do 200s for tempo in around 32-33 but with ~90sec recovery (walk back across the soccer field). Anything less recovery becomes “work” again and I need an extra day to recover from my “tempo session” :eek:.

well, where am from, i never do tempo. Well very rarely, i only learnt what it was, from this site.

But i do

6x200m, in sets of two, with 2min recovery between sets.

I hit these 200’s in 24seconds, and 25seconds. Most of you people will call this tempo, but i don’t think it is. Because am tryng to complete, the session in the faster possible way.

This is my favourite session, and most challanging, when i train with the 800m guys.

I dislike tempo.

What type of work do you do for recovery then?

There’s no point in hammering out tempo -even though I agree the session you talk about is not “tempo” as defined by the CFTS in any way.
Placing a similar demand on the body you would put it in a further state of alarm,subtly impairing the flushing effect you talk about and compromising the recovery chances of the organism “by default”.

When correctly done ,microstretching works exactly in the opposite way,boosting recovery processes of the whole organism,not only of the muscle districts on which it is performed.

I always found it delivers its benefits at its best when done after the session (which might be very brief and light) in low intensity days.

Tempo=recovery=better Workout+better Results

Simple!!

Works for me!!

at the moment my recovery days, consist of, relaxing in the house.

But i might do some tempo tommorow, because i went the gym today and also did sprints.

Does tempo help after training, like lifting wieghts, and sprinting very intense, training that taxs your cn’s.

Will tempo help me, applie the strength i have built in the gym, onto the track.

Will it help my muscles do this, when recoverying.

if not, i don’t see why people do it.

I would rather go on a three lap jog, at a steady pace.

on recovery day, like tommorow.

This is not tempo. Maybe Special Endurance 1 or 2 because of the short rest intervals and relative effort.

Relaxing at home is nice, but not the best after hard sessions as described above; I’d prefer active vs. passive recovery without “hammering” the intervals.

As for its benefits, you’ve just mentioned them above and a three lap jogging at steady pace won’t have the same results, I believe…

Hope it helps!

shumon you are a member here a good while.i know you are not stupid but why are you asking such questions.i will answer your questions above…

Q-does tempo help @ training

A-yes tempo does help after training but the day after a speed/strenght is the most appropriate.

Q-will tempo help me apply strenght to the track

A-no it won’t help you do this.your speed session will help this vs strenght.tempo will help co-ordination as a whole and relaxation plus fitness

tempo is for recovery.its does not tax the cns and can rapidly increase recovery so the quicker you recover the better you can train thus leading to better sessions leading to better performances…simple

also @ intense sessions the use of ice-baths,elevating legs,H/Cold showers,pulsing ems and a whole load of other methods are essential.

with the porper use of these and tempo the day after intense sessions you’ll be amazed

guys this is not rocket science…CF has proved that these methods work so whats the story…

we know why we do X thing and it all makes sense so just do it