tempo and speed

Are there any rules of thumb regarding what type of tempo runs to do between speed workouts? Is there a time when intensive tempo should be done as opposed to extensive tempo? I’m a little confused as to how this is supposed to be done.

No, stay with extensive tempo throughout all training cycles. Leave the intensive tempo to the distance athletes but even then I would question why. Especially for the 800 and below, I just don’t see a need for it. Definitely stay away from intensive tempo for sprinters.

intensive tempo is suppose to be between 80-89% intensity so i would stay away from it completely (especially with sprinters).

The gentlemen are correct! When it comes to finding your tempo pace and volume, first you may get a “pace” to use off of a percentage (usually below 75%), but if it still feels like you are working a bit too hard, dont hesitate to slow it down even further. Also, you want to make sure that you feel warmed up and loose after the session, so you can add a bit more if needed in a session, if not there yet. Just some random thoughts at late nite!

Linford used to do a lot of intensive tempo. Although I don’t agree with it, it certainly didn’t do him any harm!

Can somebody please define what they mean by a tempo run? I’m not exactly sure what we’re talking about. Is it just running a a pace slower than maximum velocity, or is it where you divide say 90m into 30m sections, and run the 1st 30 hard, 2nd 30 easy and final 30 hard?

Tempo runs are extensive runs at 65 - 75% intensity used to facilitate recovery and improve cardio - vascular fitness. Increased capitallarisation of muscle also occures.