Here is a quick look at how my track and weights program have developed over the last few months. Bear in mind that through this period I have slowed down. I can’t see any programming mistakes at all to be honest but maybe I am missing something…
March 11 - April 15
Mon (heavy day)
Power Snatches - 5 x 3, Inc. Bench - 5 x 5, Lats - 2 sets, Triceps - 2 sets, Glute Ham Raise - 2 -3 sets
Wed (light day)
Power Snatches - 5 x 3, Inc.Bench - 5 x 3, Calf work - 2 sets, Triceps - 2 sets
Fri (medium day)
As monday but no GHR work.
I would squat on Mondays after my power snatches and inc.bench and on thursdays after which I would perform 2-3 sets of 1 leg hyperextension work.
Squats were trained following the first program on this link. As you can see it calls for a lot of volume.
Sprints would take place on Tues and sometimes Saturday - so 1 to 2 x a week. Purely acceleration work for maybe 6-8 sets maximum of 20yds gradually building up in speed. This would make sense and is what Charlie describes in CFTS - when doing heavy leg work in winter you focus on acceleration and wait to unload from the weights before seeing some truly quick times. Times were failry good considering weather was foul most of the time and the heavy squat volume (lower body volume in general).
My BW for this period began at 193lbs, went to 201lbs and was 190lbs when I squatted a 1rm on April 15 of 405lbs. Power Snatched 171lb for a 2rm on April 11. My best times were set at a BW of 197lbs halfway through the heavy squat program while weights volume was high…
From April 19 to present
Lowered volume on snatches while increasing intensity (switched to 6x2) and reduced frequency to 2 sessions a week combined with squats in the same session at a reduced volume. Formerly there were in effect 4 lower body weights days (mon,wed,thurs,fri). Mon/tue were ME days and Thurs,fri dynamic days. For the last 3 weeks I have switched the dynamic LB day to a session devoted to depth jumps. Despite reduction in volume max strength has remained pretty good.
With the unloading of the weights period I switched to two sprint sessions a week. Kept the 20yd work and began to perform a couple of 40yd dashes at the end of the 20yd work. Introduced some low volume tempo runs, e.g 4 x 100m @70% once a week initially, looking to build upto twice a week. Was expecting in this period for acceleration to be maintained while I slowly built up the volume of high speed work and concentrated on correct technique through the tempo runs. Instead times have declined quite markedly during this period so that I have now scaled back the sprints for the time being to 1 x a week on Thurs (2 days after ME day for LB). Still, no improvement.
As I said at the start I can’t see any major errors in programming. Phase 1 was build strength and acceleration. Phase 2 was meant to be an unloading of weights to allow further speed improvement. This didn’t happen despite low bf%, higher rel.strength, higher VJ. Maybe the plyos will help after a bit of time. Although that still doesn’t explain why my fastest time was set a heavy BW halfway through a very high volume of weights work…
As I will be playing football on Sundays I won’t really be able to build much extra strength and speed now anyway. The odd thing was the opposition tackle said I was too fast for him to block me in yesterday’s game. Made me chuckle inwardly considering I am the slowest I have been…