Swiftyer's First year results

Back WOSSAA track meet.
Weather was great and so was the track.
I’m only gooing to talk about my one event, the 100m hurdles.
This race was somewhat of a mess and an upset.
In prelims, I had a dreadful start(nervous wreck) but I passed 3 people to get thrid in my heat. I tripped over my last hurdle though and that brought my finishing time up a bit. I nearly fell on my ass.

The finals showed improvement.
I had a great warm-up and I wasn’t nervous at all.
The gun goes off and I’m one of the first ones out of the blocks. Everyone except a couple really bad hurdlers were holding their own until about 50m. This part gets interesting. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd were all determined and they just flew forward. Meanwhile, I was battling all-out with the two guys beside me for the 4th and 5th place. I was ahead of both the guys but it gets exciting at about the 6th hurdle. The guy to my left hit my bloody arm! Like he literally slapped it. I ost concentration for a split second but just enough so that he could surge pull a tiny bit ahead. So now it was a race for 5th for me and the guy in lane 8. We basically played a game of yo-yo. I got infront, then he got infront, then i got infront then he got infront(this was all in like a 1cm margin) At the end of the race, I lost my qualifiying chance by about .01 seconds! I was ROBBED!!! I’m not sure of event results but I got 6 or 7th in the final(apparently, the guy in lane 2 was doing a decent job). It was an intense race but I’ve learned alot. But hell. With 3 weeks of experience compared to everyone elses’ 3-4 months, I think I put up a hell of a fight. Seasons over now. I got club track starting soon though. Hopefully I see some good hurdle stuff going on at that time.

Congrats on your year Swifty. Getting robbed out of qualifying should make you want to get to the next level and it will make you train harder. Last year I missed OFSAA by a photo finish so I’m really determined this year. Just give it your all in the off-season and come back next year ready not only to qualify past this race but to win it. You have the talent.

Yeah, I’m definitely gonna strike hard next year. I’m one of the most determined trainers in my town and I’ll be back next year for school track and I’ll be burning on the track. It really sucks that my season is over(you have to qualify to continue your season at this point - for all who do not know the rules of my area) but club track and indoor seasons are just around the corner. I’m just working on geting my goal( 15.2s )
Talent? What makes you say that?

You obviously have natural speed talent, I could barely break 12 last year and I was milimeters away from OFSAA and you can run 11.89 in the 100 meter. Plus you said you caught on fast with the hurdles. Train hard and you’ll be hard to stop next year.

11.89 is my PB. I would have been in the 100m race but I’ve been REALLY insconsitent with the 100 this year. I’ve been having horrible starts, tightening up, all that crap. I’ve trained all wrong(did training in the wrong order, did not rest enough, countless minor injuries) this year for the 100 and was running high 12s. Hopefully next year I will be running what I should be running. :slight_smile:

I may have hope for breaking PB’s again.
I’ve learned that my club track team is a go.
There is also a big meet run by The Legion in a nearby town. I have the chance to go to Ottawa to compete in the provinicials. Looks good for me seeing as how me and my teammate are the only decent hurdlers(my age group) in my area. Hoping the best and training hard

Best of luck, maybe I’ll see you if you make it here.

Ran a 15.2s HT 100m hurdle in practice today. Felt awesome.
Im very ready for June 19 Legion meet in Kitchener.
Since they supply massage therpists and every other therapy possibly im feeling ok about this. I’m hoping I get a shot for Ottawa.

How’s the competetion for hurdles in the east region coming out? still in the 16 range?

Here’s the rankings and seed times going into OFSAA, it’s the best I can give you right now.

http://www.coppsindoor.org/ofsaa%20hurdles.htm

Just got an update about the Legion meet.
Its being held on June 18 to begin with.
Also the hurdle event is being run with 36" heights instead of the standard 33’ for my age group…This calls for some INTERESTING action.
The guy in third place on that site u posted is my teammate and bud. But DAMN. If I ran wut I did in practice, I’d be 9th! GRRR!!!

Well now for other news.
Got back from a light practice. Worked on 36" heights fornext year and June 18 and felt alright. I have good clearance but my leag elg is floating a bit. I noticed my little break from hurdles has really hindered me but I’ll do better. Worst part of the meet was the chain wipe-out me and Tom did. He was a bit ahead of me and he SMOKED a hurdle. The hurdle borke into two pieces, and he tucked and rolled about 20 feet.
Me, in the lane beside him, was running hurdles when these hurdle pieces flew straight at me. Before I knew it, the wood piece slapped me across the face like a hammer and the metal part jebbed into my groin muscles on both my legs. I was on the ground for 20 minutes :eek: :mad:

Legion meet was yesterday.
I fared alright but I wasn’t impressed with myself.
I ran teh 100mh at a new height - 36" - so it was basically an adjustment race for me. I was able to finish the race fine but it allowed me to evualte what the hell I was doing wrong. I need to work on my finish and i need quicker turnover.
Anyway, I got 3rd with a 16.9…yes i know, terrible.
My start ws terrible. Gun reaction was wacked - I was threatened to be DQ’ed 4 times. lol. Kinda recovered but it made me push myself to the point where I started to tighten up. I know I could have run that race in 15.7 ish but whatver. I know now that I can finish the race at a new height after 3 days of practice so I’m happy I guess.

Here’s something to blow you away.
There was a grade 7 kid running in my race. Asa Ambrose is his name. It was his first 100mh race of his life and he ran a Blood-curdling 14.30!!! He broke the damn meet record by 0.6 bloody seconds! But apparently he’s been hurdling indoor for 2 years so he’s got the experience over me. This kid is flyin though.

I also ran the 100m and was supposed to run the 200m, but that turned on me. I knew from the start my 100m wasn’t going to be tha great. Anyway, halfway through the race, I don’t know why but my right leg buckled and I flew a couple feet. I slid another few feet and I ended up with huge track rash and I was sore all-over. Knee is a freaking skin-burger and I had to scratch my 200m. I was in so much pain that I was instructed by the paramedic to not do ANYTHINg that would even hint at infecting my track-burns. Its starting to feel better now and Ill hopefully be back on the track in 4-5 days. Meanwhile I gotta get back to studyign for exams.

It looks like you’ve got some bad luck with your races. Sucks you didn’t qualify in the Legions, maybe I coulda seen ya at wherever the next one is, good luck with your training.

btw what club do you train with?

Huron Athletics

that ambrose kid is a great athlete hes a real good jumper too