Supplement Heads Up - GAKIC

A few friends of mine who work in the supplement industry are telling that a new supplement called GAKIC will be very interesting when someone comes out with it.

GAKIC is a combination of glycine, arginine and alpha-ketoisocaproate (KIC).

Two studies have been published on this compound they found that:

GAKIC increased the ability to sustain muscle force (concentric torque) up to at least 28 percent during intense acute anaerobic muscle exercise;

GAKIC increased the ability to sustain muscle total work by up to at least 12 percent during intense anaerobic muscle exercise; and

GAKIC increased the overall muscle performance by delaying muscle fatigue during the early phases of anaerobic exercise through at least 15 minutes.

What’s even more interesting is that there’s no loading involved and it works within minutes of taking it.

So far the best resources for this are:

http://www.whatisgakic.com/index.shtml

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/anssi2.htm

I’ll try to find out more and keep the board updated.

I have been using V12 turbo for about 2 months now. While it isn’t GAKIC it uses arginine mixed with creatine and taurine and I find it much better than normal creatine. Charlie seems to like arginine and I think that that it is only a matter of time before people find other compounds it works well with.

In the last 10 years at least 200 new non-hormonal supplements have come out. ALL of them are released full of hype while being touted as the next cutting edge miracle that will turn average athletes into superstars and scrawny punks with beer bellies into ripped muscular pieces of granite. Exactly ONE out of those 200+ has even come close to living up to the billing.

Which one?

creatine :slight_smile:

Lol dude, this is so flippin true. Creatine is king. Everything else just empties your wallet or money purse. I do take arginine though. I’ve heard it recommended by to many people I respect not to.

Well according to the links on the first post, there is some serious and legitimate scientific evidence backing this supplement. If I can get 10% more strength, right away, and still use creatine - seems to me you’d get some deep skeletal musclar stimulation = improved performance. No doubt though, a lot of garbage supps have lead to some seriously jaded supp users - including myself, remember ecdystorones? LOL

Unlike creatine, which requires approximately five days of loading to produce improvements in high-intensity work, GAKIC appears to impart an ergogenic effect within minutes of consumption." However, more research is needed before firm conclusions can be drawn.

Quote from Bodybuilding.com

I like the last sentence.

I looked over the study and unless its a double blindfold test done by at least a university I tend to think they’re not the most reliable.

I want there to be a new supplement that really works. That’d be great but I’ve been buying and trying this crap for years and most of it is crap.

“remember ecdystorones? LOL” , dude, I’m still trying to forget.

1st study was done at the University of Florida, 2nd was done at Truman State University. Both studies were published in the Journal of the American College of Sports Medecine and both were randomized, double-blinded, and placebo-controlled.

I wouldn’t have bothered posting about it if the research wasn’t legitimate.

I agree with the use of Arginine and Glycine. I have not read much or haven’t used KIC myself so I do not have a strong opinion about it.
Only thing is, if you are taking a Tryptophan supplement and glycine at the same time, they will both battle for the same receptor site and therefore only one ( or slight of both) will be active. Tryptophan is actually broken down into glycin in its later metabolism.
I have read Arginine and Ornithine taken together work very well for some of the same reasons at the GARIK. Have used it and extremely happy with the results.
Look at some of Dr. Colgan’s (Colgan Institute)research on the web. Also “Ultimate Nutrition” by Colgan has alot of info.
Tell me what you think.

I doubt you would supplement with tryptophan at anytime before a workout or a meet like you would with GAKIC, so I doubt there would be any issues with regards to absorption of the glycine.

What about ZMA?

Is anybody comming out with a GAKIC product anytime soon?

I see that MuscleTech has one out, but is that any good?

ZMA works! No doubt about it.

i swear by the stuff

some questions…

In budgeting, where does GAKIC fit in? With two studies of leg extensions and sprints on a bike what do you feel should be done?

“A significant treatment x time interaction (P = 0.039) was observed for the change in mean power output over the five sprints between the GAKIC and PLC treatments. Post hoc analyses revealed a greater retention of mean power (P = 0.038) between sprints 1 and 2 after GAKIC (-1 +/- 9 W) versus PLC treatment (-47 +/- 18 W). No other performance variables differed between PLC and GAKIC. POST lactate was increased (P < 0.001) above REST, but there was no difference between treatments (P = 0.936).”

…are the watts enought to replace PWO formulas that provide macronutrients or even enough for essential oils?

GAKIC looks promising but so did Ribose!

No it didn’t! :smiley:

“In budgeting, where does GAKIC fit in?”

Depends on how serious the athlete is - how much they’re spending a month and what they’re currently using.

Does it replace creatine, protein etc.? No, as those are essentials.

Fish oils? At certain points in the season, perhaps, but fish oils are generally not expensive.

I would easily choose this over items like nitric oxide supplements,‘testosterone boosters’ and maybe even zma and bcaas. I think the benefits for the money will surpass those supplements.

Charlie, I see in some posts that you find ZMA an essential supplements, although many studies says that it does not work.

Was Ben using ZMA? What is your opinion of the quantity of ZMA to take? How much time are you supposed to sleep while using it in your opinion?