Summer plan of 2014

Goals.
1500m in sub 4min
800m in sub 1:55
400m in sub 52

Might even go to national masters ? I’ll be 38 in Nov this yr.

Plan is endurance long to short.
So 1500m between now and Nov.
Then 800m between Dec and March.

Speed short to long. (Well speed endurance )
Ie, 200m, 300m, 400m etc

Just need to organize a racing schedule now.

Should be coming into the most stable time, weather wise, in Hobart.

I am thinking of doing the 60, 100, LJ, and Hammer.

Thanks great to know.
And being in Hobart - it’s bound to be tons cooler than up here in Qld at that time of the year. I run the worst in the heat, it really effects my performances.

There is a masters oceania comp in Melbourne, 1st week of Jan. - 95% i’ll be there.

There is a 1500m classic in Nov - buy i need to qualify for it, so need to find events leading into that
I had a look, and there is a Masters worlds - would be great to go there too. Mostly on the basis it would look great on my Resume as a Personal trainer. But, that’s happening now, next one is in like 2yrs time. So plenty of time for prep.

Week just gone - 10 days ago a 3km road race with hill - in 30deg celcius heat… Heat stress then was sick all week, then by Fri i got conjunctivitis which has only just cleared up today (Tue)

Still some some easier work volume wise, just faster.
Ran on a crappy grass Park, a 24.9 200m, which is the fastest i’ve been in, well, yrs. To be honest - i really only ran the last 100m as the 1st 100m of the ground was pathetic.

Also - over the last 5 x weeks - i’ve put on roughly 2-3kg. Of the exercises i’ve been doing, a bit more chin ups, but mostly been using Battling ropes.

Re: heat. If it is hot it is generally a dry heat none of this humidity crap (Hobart is the 2nd driest capital city in Australia, but also the closest to the Antarctica)

If either of you are going to Bendigo stop and say howdy.

http://www.oceaniamastersathletics.org/champ_details.html

I’ll be there - at least for a few days. Be good to catch up with some more cf.com members

I will be the old bloke in the trailer. :slight_smile:

haha, fantastic.

Still suffering the effects of conjunctivitis and a slight laryngitis… but still, training was to be had.

Sunday = 10 x 10m hills - then circuit work for 30min

Monday = 20min slow jog, 3km, avg Heart rate of 103 Lowest avg yet :slight_smile:

Tue = 12km jog, was rather HOT so avg speed was only 12.5km/hr

Wed = 2 x 200m Hill sprints in 32sec each. with 15min recovery. Followed by 45min of circuits

Thur = 18.5min of jogging and burpee’s (like a recovery workout)

Fri = 40min of 10 x 200m HILLS with 300m of jog recovery. Was a lot more painful than i imagined - had to hold back lunch a few times… roughly 2 - 2.5min for the jog recoveries and 39-46 sec for the reps. Pretty inconsistent times really. A nice challenging session.

Sat = 12hrs after the finish of Fri workout - a solid warm up then a 1.21km loop time trial (road based with a little hill) 3min:43sec. = 6 sec of current lap best time. Followed by exercise circuits.

Sun = 29min 5km recovery jog with avg heart rate of 115.

Still seem to be suffering from conjunctivitis and finally seem to be over the laryngitis and sinus issues…

Epsom salt baths seem to be going fantastic. Have one every 2-3 days now. Keep me very relaxed and calm. Have noticed, after about 1 x month of doing these, that my PH levels have even’ed right out. Barely get any movement from it now.
Body weight levels have picked up from an even 69kg which i’ve been now for yrs - to hovering around 71-72kg. (looks like it’s been all winter weight too - just did a body fat test - now up to 9.98% fat - up from 7% in march and 5% this time last year. Hmmm - mrs has been feeding me a lot of crap as of late… time to clean up “put some fat on, get sick…”

Mon -

Recovery run - 5km - 26min - avg heart rate 122.

Tue -

Off

Wed -

Really effected by sore burning eyes till around 1-2pm, then they seemed to come good.
4:30pm, drove to training with the idea, if eyes could handle driving, I’ll train, if not, i’ll just coach.
Ended up training :slight_smile:

Goal, Fast 214m HILL sprints.
1st = 32.2 = 0.8 P.B. = No more long ones today
2nd = 12.7s = 92m Hill.

Followed by 45min of circuits

Thurs Morning - finally, eyes have settled down in the sunshine :slight_smile:

I expect those would be very competitive times.

I need to get there 1st :slight_smile:

Thurs
easy 24min of gym equipment cardio - recovery based heart rate, 120

Fri
10 x 214m with 300m slow jog recovery
Goal was all 42.00sec or faster, if not, then punishment was Battling ropes and burpee’s
I hit all but 3 reps in required time… and each rep after was 39sec…
Max HR reading was 165
Pretty destroying session - but recover quickly once dinner was consumed :slight_smile:

Sat
easy 5km in 26min
Avg HR of only 119

Sun
1.21km time trail (on road, with a little hill)
3min 37sec - equal P.B. over this course - and felt pretty good by the end, unlike last week where i was 7sec slower and collapsed at the end.
Goal is to get this to 3:15 by Nov - should be able to hit 4min flat or just under on a proper tartan track in a race if i do. 1yr ago, i was only 4min 15 on this course.

Finished the session with circuits
Night time - cupping on legs.

Mon
Day off

Tue
Treadmill work (lack of time elsewhere)
60sec at 20km/hr for every 2nd repetition
60sec for every other rep at 17, 12,13,14,15,16 and 17km/hr

Wed
214m hill in 31.6sec = P.B. = no more 214m reps for the day
2nd rep
92m HILL in 12.6m (hit the sprint position up hill… could barely take the last corner due to inertia - lost a good deal of time here)

followed by circuits

Thur
off

Fri
25min of easy recovery tempo runs

Sat
The Stampede mud run. 11km of steep hills and crazy challenges. Some people are pretty useless here. It’s a non timed event, esp since some stations you’re just standing there waiting for your turn for ages. Overall great event - but, need better OLD shoes, reef shoes were useless… Bruised feet from rocks now, though nearly better (and today is Monday arvo)

Sun
No chance of exercise - feet way too sore. Epsom salt bath at night

Mon
feet nearly better - not going to annoy them by exercising.

Tue
25min of Gym equipment cardio work (rowing, xtrainer, treadmill etc)

Wed
Circuit training
Still pretty sore from the mud run - seems entire right hand side is stiff

Thur
Stressful day - left the gym i was working at - such ignorant attitudes there.
Therapy on the arms

Fri
10 x 214m efforts
Jog 300m recoverys
Goal is fastest time (31.6 x 1.33) - not to be any slower than that. (42sec)
Number 9 was 0.1 sec too slow - punished by doing some exercises before number 10.
Last time, the time was 43sec to beat - and i was too slow on 3 of them. :slight_smile:

Still very tight from the Mud run. Really feel it in the back when breathing hard.

Sat
Heap of cupping then a quick rub down.
Back and shoulders
Glutes
Hammies had Tens treatment
Some nasty stuff came out this time (as expected)
Felt pretty beat up afterwards, a Epsom / Pink salt bath afterwards and felt much better.

Sun
Big jog warm up
1.216km time trial (on road with a hill - but mostly flat)
New pb = 3min 35sec. (by 2 sec)
I think doing the hill in the 1st half of the run is much easier - today the hill was is in the last 1/4 and really effected speed

Mon
Off

Tue
7.8km jog - 35min

Wed
Hill sprints day
214m - previous pb = 31.6
today - 30.5.
really felt good, strong and fast nearly the entire way.
Took 3.5min before my body would listen to me and start Jogging - and slow jogging at that. Really smashed me.
Around 18min later
92m hill (distances reflect land marks)
12.2 - 0.5 sec PB

Finished off with 30min of circuits (been including Plyro jumps - up only - for the last few weeks. Starting to really notice the benefits)
Once home - did a few sample lifts of squat, bench and chin ups.

Pretty happy with how the speed to moving along - much better than the endurance.
My all time PB for 200m is only 23.3 - not fast - and it’s under threat…

Boldwarrior, is your hill grass or pavement(concrete, asphalt), or dirt?

Also what’s your thoughts on sprinting/striding(4 to 4.5 strides per second) on soft forgiving surfaces where the trail/path has become concave in terms of the frontal plane(perpendicular to the direction of track/path)?

Cement foot path - typically i wear New Balance Minimus trail shoes - sometimes i wear Addidas Boost shoes - but for the faster stuff up hills i try to keep to the New Balance.
Zero issues going up hills on cement.

On grass - you really need to wear spikes - and where i live, that’s not going to happen (crap grass - too many rocks, too many paths etc)

I know what you mean by the path becoming concave - not too bad if you’re not going flat stick, ie for Tempo runs etc. But too risky at speed - unless you have plenty of time and it’s gradual - otherwise potential for putting your foot down on Air instead of ground… not nice…

I’ve seen hills that would be fantastic for wearing spikes - depends on the grass. Soft spongy grass - i’ll keep to the harder grass thanks - that’s why i’m keeping to the paths, consistency.
Next fast hill will be asphalt road - I’ve hit the required speed i wanted to on the 200m long hill - 300m next, and only road hill is long enough (trouble will be cars and potential concave issues like you said, but, if i know they are there, i’ll put some Cones there and slow for them sections. You can only use what’s available some times.

What is your approach to transition from winter endurance training and racing to summer speed work - see you have mentioned racing/times for 200m and 400m.

I do winter 5M/10K/X-c then summer 400/200m.

I have struggled with this transition myself. I know I should work on developing my max speed since it disappears in the winter. But I find accels and max v seem to lead to early season muscle pulls. Is it better to go long to short, a kind of Clyde Hart programme that starts with intensive tempo then cuts the volume and increases the speed ? It looks like you go long to short from your first post but wonder how you structure the distances/speeds.
Do you keep up some sort of speed work in the winter ?

Therapy! And lots of it.
Ensure posture is always mechanically sound before even thinking of sprinting.
In posture for sprinting, i’m looking for the following tells
1 - Hip flexor movement - can my knee stretch backwards effortlessly well behind the hip?
2 - Can my knees touch the ground when laying down and stretching the thighs?
3 - Do my hips have range of motion in the iron cross movement
4 - Is my back / spine ready?
5 - Are my calf’s / feet ready.

Probably why i only do really fast stuff once week.

Even in off season during 10k runs - i would do maybe once every 2-3 weeks of EFE work, maybe only a couple hundred meters total worth. Just enough to remember. I would probably change this to once a week if i Hit the speeds marks this summer i have set for myself.

As in training - over 200m -I’ve been doing a Long to Short. The only time i run Less than 200m, is if i Win a new or equal PB over the long hill, and the 2nd rep is a shorter 92m hill. “speed” work before this has been, 1km, 800m, 600m, 400m, 300
I’m nearly at the 200m speed i believe i need - just need to test it probably this weekend.
Once i’m at the 200m speed (sub 24sec) - i’ll start to work on the 300m reps - then 400m reps - 500m reps then 600m reps.

Goals -
200m = 23.5
300m = 36
400m - 51.9
500m - 66
600m = 1min 22
800m - Sub 1:55 (which should win masters nationals if i can afford to fly there)

I won’t his those targets without 1st hitting the 200m.
At this stage - mostly Hill work and plyro’s for speed.
And most of my therapy is
1 - Foamrolling
2 - TENS
3 - Cupping
4 - Epsom salts and Pink Salts Bath
5 - Shaking therapy massage
6 - Jade stone massage (breaks up scare tissue and adhesions)

Thanks for the advice - therapy is something I need to work on. I am impressed by your 200m times given the relatively small amount of pure speed work.

Actually I just looked at National times for Sprint events for Masters level. Possibly an avenue of training there also or instead.
Nobody is crazy fast in masters.
In fact all events score your speed in a percentage factor. The speed events I score greater percentage figures than the eendurance events.

Possibly should train and compete to ones strengths yeah?