Summer plan of 2014

I’d say that a 36s 300m is much more competitive than a 23.5s 200m or a 51.9s 400m. 37s should be sufficient to be on target for 51.9 don’t you think? However, I’m not sure whether 51.9s for 400m is sufficient for a 1:55 800m time. At the moment your differentials are: 200-300 = 12.5s, 300-400 = 15.9 s, 400-500 = 14.1s, 500-600 = 16s.

Typically
400m = (200m x 2) + 4
800m = (400m +4) x 2

23.5 (goal) x 2 = 47
47 + 4 = 51. (slightly faster than goal)

51.9 + 4 = 55.9
55.9 x 2 = 1min 51.8 (faster than goal)

What i’ve done in the past
200m - 23.3
400m - 50.3 and a 49.5 relay leg (1st run)
600m - 1;18
800m - 1.52 - when i did this, 400m was 50.5 (injury stopped me from running a projected 1.49 - which a training partner did 1 x month later who was at the same level but not injured)

I’m giving myself buffers as the distance increases - ideally i’ll hit faster. No biggie if not.
Also will be working constantly on aerobic zone to bring that better too.

Thur
25min of cycling on rollers and Weights - ie, do a set of weights, then cycling for 1-2min and repeat
finished with pool work

Fri
50min
214m hills - with 3min jog recovery for 10 reps
Goal is max speed times 1.33 = 40.7 = any slower than 40.7 and punished with 10 x burpee’s before next run.
i was expecting to do upwards of 50-60 burpees as last time, my max speed was slower, and therefore my 1.33 figure was only 42.0 and i was slow on 1 reps. 1.3sec faster for these was a big call.
However - i did all except the 2nd reps (not due to fatigue, just pacing error) - all but two reps were under 40.0

Finished session with a few plyro jumps - 3 sets of 3 jump up onto a ledge. 3rd set was a big struggle.

Sat
27min of weights and cardio combined
Finished with pool session

Sun
5km all up
1st up 200m time trial - on the road. Marked out with a Trundle wheel for accuracy.
23.9sec = new season P.B. and only 0.4 off projected 200m goal time.
I can still feel, a solid 1 sec of improvement just sitting there waiting purely by working on the Right to Left curve.

Finished session off with running circuits

Monday
4.4km of pushing the pram in 23min. with an avg HR of only 123.
Some upper body weights - 5 reps only - maybe 15min all up.

Tue - 2 x 20min jogs about 1hr apart. Had to jog into the city (being low in cash, i cant afford city parking, so ate a banana and ran the last few km from a free parking area)

Wed
1hr 31 total

3 sets of (3 x 70m) hills
Walk back recovery, roughly 60sec
Around 15min between sets.

Followed by some mediball, bodyweight weight circuits

thur
off

Fri
Chest and back - 10min
Tempo
10 x 200’s in roughly 31sec with roughly 80sec recovery

Sat
Shoulders and arms - weights, 10min.
4km in 24min
Avg HR 111

Sun
1km time trial in 2min 51.
Graph shows 1st 400m in 60sec
800m in 2:09 (slowed 9sec in the 2nd 400m)
Last 200m in 42sec… Died big time.

Pretty confident i can get that 2.09 right down. My “old person” pb is only 2.08.
Might knock out a 800m next weekend?

Finished session with some bodyweight circuits

Mon
16min of chest/back/cycling circuits.
Finished off with 5min in the pool running some slow laps

Tue
Off

Wed
3 sets of 2 x 90m Hill sprints. Pretty steep hill too.
By the 3rd set - i was really opening up and managed to hit 32km/hr - considering the steepness of the hill, tis ok.
Finished off with some circuit exercises

Thur
Off

Fri
10 x 92m hill tempo runs with 300m jog recovery

Sat
off - Started installing insulation into the shed.

Sun
Finished off most of the insulation - goodness - prick of a job. Never doing it that way again!
Finished the day off with a 200m - not that fast, only 3km/hr faster than i managed up a hill the other day…
just way too tight - really, should have just done mediball work and circuits - i’ll remember that for next time (though i don’t plan on a next time of all weekend insulation)

Mon and Tue
therapy big time!

I might start keeping track of my therapy in here also.
Really knotted up from the weekend. All twisted in the hips and back.

Cupping - thighs Just stationary on Sunday night.
Mon - Cupping hammies
Tue - Jade stone rubbing right thigh as there was a Lot of scare tissue and adheasions going on in there. Seemed to break a lot up.

Both Mon and Thurs i had Epsom salt baths - made a huge difference.

Wed
2min to 2min 30sec rounds of running ciruicts with 3min recoverys.
was getting very La+ in the last three rounds of the 7 rounds total.

• Back cupping - stationary and sliding. It was pretty nasty on the right side. - more thigh sliding cupping on both legs.

Thur
Jade stone on the left thigh - not as bad in the rectus femous but the laterial, groin and hip flexor areas were crap… Seemed to break most of it up in the areas i worked on.
More stationary and sliding cupping on hammies. Left lower hammie was pretty nasty.

No training
Probably done a total of 6hrs of therapy this week since monday.
Only 1hr of training.

Fri
Hill tempo repeats - 214m long, 350m jog recovery
Goal was 10 - but on number 8 i took off wrong and hurt my Achilles
Before that, was doing very well speed wise and recovery wise.

Sat
had planned on doing an easy recovery session - but those plans got squashed by visitors…
Lots of cupping on both the Calf muscles.

Sun
recovery jog with push ups, then 20min of plyros
Therapy wise - lots of jade stone along the Achilles tendon

Pretty much a dull week training wise.

Mon
Some basic shoulder exercises
Some foamrolling along the spine.

Tue
Not feeling very sparked up - very flat really. So had a 5min swim - a few hours later, some heavy Cable press outs and seated rows.

Therapy - nill.

Wed
1-2min of foamrolling on glutes, they responded quick and movement was much more free afterwards
Followed by 1hr training.
Plan was to do 2-3 long 200m hill sprints with 10-15min recovery.
Training buddy had hurt his big toe yesterday, and had minimal push off. So instead,
4 sets of 6 reps of Jump up onto a ledge. Just over knee height. Jog recovery between sets - roughly 1min.

10min jogging then

4 sets of 4 stair jumps, really pushing for as far possible on each set. 2-3min jog between sets.

10min jogging

3 sets of 5 stair jumps, really pushing for maximum on each. 3min + between sets. Really struggled between reps, let alone sets.

Followed by some battling ropes for a few sets, then a 10min jog down, abs and stretches.

No extra therapy for the day.

Thurs
20min of cycling / weights and pool tempo session

Fri
New circuit for hill tempo - bigger hill, longer recovery jog
250m up hill effort
450m down hill recovery jog
6 x full reps - 3/4 of the 7th rep (shattered)
51 - 50 - 52 - 53 - 52 - 54 - ?? for efforts
2.24 - 2.15 - 2.38 - 2.28 - 2.24 - 2.29 - so fairly consistent recovery

10min jog
Plyro jumps for 5 per set with 200m jog between for 3 sets.

Sat
off

Sun
600m race - against a relay of slower runners.
They had 70m head start, then 150, 150, 150 and 80m.
My 100m splits are
26… yep - shattered. Another 10m longer and it would have been a DNF…

Followed by
3 x overhead explosive throws
3 x squat throws

Push ups, chin ups and body-weight squats to finish off with.

Mon
Wanted to do a recovery run - should have - but didn’t

Tue
again - no run.

Wed
1 hr training
Included one long hill sprint at the start - 40.6sec. (either 240 or 250m, can’t remember) - a pretty nasty hill except for the last 50m. I’ts much straighter than the older 214m hill.
Really smashed the shoulders and arms with La+ in this run.

Followed by running circuits for a total of 5km for the entire session.

Thur
5min of pool and an epsom salt bath.

Fri
51min and 9.2km all up
8 x hill runs (same hill as wed) with 540m for the 1st 4 reps recovery and 600m for the last 4 recovery. Between 52-54sec for the reps

plan was to do some exercises at the end - was pretty shattered and couldn’t move

Sat
5km in 24min.
Bit of easy jog - av HR only 131
Perhaps 1hr of therapy today, hammie massage, calfs cupping and thighs cupping.
Epsom salt bath.

Sun
Solid 20+ min warm up
1.216km road time trial.
4 sec off P.B. - wasn’t really expecting a solid time. was very windy along the back straight, the tree’s create a tunnel effect and the head wind slowed my avg speed from 20.8km/h to around 17km/hr along this 300m or so straight. After which, pace went back to over 20. And it was really hot today too.

Finished with some circuits and a 10min pool run.

Mon
Off

Tue
20min of pool work
Been also renovating the last few days. Potentially sell up and move perhaps to Melbourne ?

Wed
Solid warm up including a few plyro jumps to wake the nervous system up.
Been finding great success with plyro warm up.
Hill sprint. 250m
Goal was either 1st rep a pb followed by plyro or 3 x hill sprints.
Nobody wanted 3x reps so pbs we’re across the board :slight_smile:
Old best was 40.6
New time 38.4

Plyro progression is jump over a small hurdle (them little yellow ones) then up onto a log fence. Then step down
Three sets of ten with 5min jog recovery between sets.
Finished with various running circuits

Thurs
20min easy recovery jog
Cupping, thighs and lower legs.
Thighs were very tight, not in a good way.

Fri
Thighs still a bit sore
Solid warm up
9 x 214m hill with 350m jog recovery.
Recovery was typically just under 2min
The run was somewhat slower than normal, strong head winds and legs were sore and getting sorer each rep.
Heat was bad, we all suffered mostly from heat.
It’s a reminder why we moved to the bigger hill, it’s on the shady side of the hill. Was much cooler there.

Sat
off

Sun
5km all up, a 200m handicapt road race - i screwed up timing, but the two who just beat me by half a car length both did 23.7/8 - so probably low 24??
Finished with circuits

Mon / Tue
Off

Wed
Birthday - so birthday reps
38 reps of 38m - racing 3 people (so they only do like 14 each) - if they beat me, they get me to do an exercise. I maybe did 4 or 5 lots of exercises.
Pretty shattered by the end. Lucky it only happens once yr…

Thur
off - started the day a bit stiff, ended the day super stiff.

Fri
Very stiff during the day. Had an epsom salt bath just after lunch, limped in, walk out. Also fixed my depression for the day…

Afternoon, 10 x 200’s with walk back recovery. Felt great.

Sat
off

Sun
1.21km road t.t. (although i wasn’t really trying) and ran around 8sec slower than best.
Humidity and trees with bad pollen were effecting me big time also during the day. Might look for a new loop to train at.
finished off with some circuits.

Mon / Tue
off

Wed
Started with around 1hr of foamrolling. was very tight and twisted. Back was pinching and feet were landing all over the place as i walked.

afternoon,
6 x 200’s - at a goal speed of 1sec off current best 200m time. (on the road, with a slight downhill effect - so also in flats)
1st two the stopwatch was missbehaving. But going by the other guy who ran, would have to be in the high 24sec range.
next 4 - 25, 24, 25, 26 (the last one i did back off far too much in the last 30m…)
was pretty shattered by the end.

Recovery was on a 5min cycle, so 4min 30 recovery.
Goal is to bring that down to 2 sec off season best time and 2 min recovery

Thurs
3.3km - 20min - avg HR 111. So, a recovery jog.
Was very stiff during the day, foamrolled the legs before the jog. Thighs were very stiff.
After run, felt a lot better.

Some cupping on hammies and tibulas anterior, broke the cupping air vacuum handle…

Fri
Foamrolling on thighs, hips and calfs
Epsom salt bath
Tempo
Still stiff from Wed. Took until rep number 8 or so before i could even run with proper mechanics. Some serious stiffness was still unresolved.

Sat
off
More foamrolling

Sun
Humidity was through the roof - simply sitting inside you broke into a sweat.
Forgo the usual time trail as a result of the humidity, and instead did a calorie buring session.
The goal was for one female to burn 1000 calories.
She ended up burning 725 - considering she had only seen 350 max before (burning calories is a mental game more than anything)
My warm up was perhaps 5min longer - 1hr 26min all up. 1450 calories for me. I was mostly only 10-15 beats off max which really burns through the calories. As a comparison, the Fri 9 days earlier was 50min total and 370calories.
Really worked on a lot of exercises - plyro jumps, burpees, push ups, battling rops, mediball etc.
As a comparison, The Stampede mud run, was 2min longer in total, and 1690 calories (basically and extra 200 calories)
Spent about 30min just standing in a pool afterwards. Legs really liked that.

Mon
Felt pretty good from Sunday actually.
Planned on doing a jog in the evening, but got caught up with Uni studies…

can you order an individual pump or do you have to get the whole kit just to get one part?

also, I could only find epsom salts at 1kg for $6.30! got any leads for where I could find it in bulk??

Electrical tape fixed it till the new kit arrives. I’ve flogged my original kit and ordered a whole new kit.
not sure about just a pump?? Might have to build a better handle??
Here we go,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Large-Pump-For-Cupping-Therapy-Hujamah-Acupuncture-Suction-Handle-/271285658429?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Natural_AlternativeTherapies&hash=item3f29e2a33d&_uhb=1

Try a produce shop. ie, a place where they sell Farm supplies.
I buy a 25kg bag for under 20 bucks.
Other similar places sell 25kg bags for 40-50 which is still like much cheaper than 6 a kg.
http://www.blants.com.au/epsom_salt.html

Tue
1hr of foamrolling
Fixed my cupping handle that i had broke - only a temp fix.

Epsom salt bath.

Wed
Epic session.
6 x 200m. Goal pace was 2 sec off current season best on a 4min 30cycle. So roughly 4min recovery.

1st 4 - i have zero idea on speed - but i was giving one guy 6sec and passing him generally 30m to go, and he was doing 32sec - so around 25sec. Every time in the 1st 4, i hit the stop lap button and it didn’t register. Stupid watch…

5th effort i was hurting too much from Lactic H+ ions and just did tempo pace.

6th effort, I went out hard for 20m - then relaxed yet tried to keep taping the ground instead of pushing, certainly required effort. Ended up 0.1sec off seasons best time.

This is where the nightmare began. Layed down for 1-2min as i couldn’t move. Maybe 5min?
Got up, walked 100m, fell over and this went on for a solid 40min. World of pain. Took another 40min after that before i came good enough to drive home.

Nasty, nasty stuff.

kitchen timer… :wink:

Thur / Fri / Sat
Off
Planned on training Fri - but had a big uni exam.

Sun
1st time i’ve felt great during a Sunday session in a long time.
1hr 15min session, just over 6km all up.
830m time trial on the road, very windy and finished with a small hill over the last 250m
Then knocked out 3 circuits - 1st time i’ve had the energy to do Chin ups in maybe 6 months… I’m normally shattered after tt’s but felt great. The other guys however…

So really a very dull week training wise.

Have booked in for Oceania games in Jan - 200 and 400m.

Mon
2km in 13min avg HR 109.
So, a recovery jog

Tue
5.5km, 30min, with 5 x Tempo runs of 170m in the middle.

Wed
6 x 20m fly’s with a 60m build up. Max GPS of 35.8km/hr

Thur
Off

Fri
Hard to wake up, feeling like crap all day.
Epsom salt bath and cupping over all the legs.

Tempo
Burpee challenge - 13min.

Sat
off
More cupping - sliding on back and hammies. Stationary on calfs.

Sun
Epsom salt bath.
1st time use of a proper track in around 10 months.
290m time trail - 37.8 Walk in start
150m time trial - 17.5 Standing start (GPS read max at 37.1 km/hr)

Mediball work onto high jump mats
then
Hurdle plyro jumps - 4 x hurdles. It’s been awhile and was freaking me out a little. Be great once i’m used to it again.

Feeling confident i can crack that 40km/hr speed with more specific training and removing more scar tissue from them hammies and calfs.

//youtu.be/EePqyoc-BOk

Who knows how to embed these clips off youtube?
150m staggered race - standing start. Sony action cam attached via chest harness

Mon
Off - feeling too destroyed to train
Hamstring and back cupping
Epsom salt bath

Tue
Still feeling bad, but not as bad.
Managed 30min of tempo work
Entire lower leg cupping

Wed
Training - 1 x Long hill, 240m - 39sec
Plyro jumps
Explosive mediball throws
Push up/pull up combo

Thur
Hamstring cupping (they really need some solid work, as do the glutes, but the Mrs has to do, and it’s a struggle…)
No training - had family visiting

You just click the ‘insert video’ button on the formatting bar, and paste the link straight in, the forum does the rest itself!

Make sure you paste the direct URL from the address bar though, so in your case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EePqyoc-BOk

EDIT: What’s cupping?

Thanks David - it seems I had my overall settings on Basic - and no such item was available for use for me. I’ve since updated my settings and all these useful items now appear for me to play with… Cheers for the help.

Cupping, Fantastic. Check here