struggle to run out the 100m

i am having a lot of trouble running out the 100m at full pace and this is greatly affecting the times i have been running. I have a PB for the 100m of 11.15 which is ok but my 200m is terrible at 23.7. I have a pretty solid start and this usually gives me a break over my competitors but i usually start getting run down at about 85-90m and my strength to not run out the full journey has hurt me or more than one occassion.

My running has been like this for a few seasons and even though i ran a PB this season i did try and change my GPP for this season to try and improve the back end of my race and my 200m time.

some of the sessions i was doing include:

6 x 300m @ 50-75%

1 x 200m @ 80%
1 x 300m @ 80% (3 sets of these two runs)

3 (6 x 70m @ 75%)

I have not really done much weights on my legs and im wondering if it my leg strength that is letting me down.

my specs are:

23yo
5’9
74kg
Australian

i was wondering if i could have some input from some of the experienced guys on this forum -

QUIKAZHELL / KOMY / WAYNEHOBLEY / CHRIS30 / CF of course

The improvement needs to come from Speed work and Special Endurance sessions. Also need to keep the spread between high and low intensity- with tempo kept below 75% and speed work kept high. Endurance over 100 and 200 won’t be helped by running 80% sessions over 300m. What speed work have you done in the past?

CF…thanks for the reply…i think it also has to do with my program/periodization because i guess you could say i’m working on a long-short program. Also, i dont really understand the difference between speed work and special endurance. but anyway here goes

Typical ‘speed’ sessions include:

2 x 30 (1 @ 80%, 1 @ 90-100%)
2 x 70 " "
2 x 100 " "
2 x 150 " "

1. 4 x 120 - broken into blocks of 30m

0-30m @ 80%, 30-60m @ 90-100%, 60-90m @ 80%, 90-120m @ 90-100%

1. Blocks session

6 x 50m @ 100%

thanks

hye charlie i was doing my training program and each tme i change things in it so i was wondering could you help me
my year is divided as follow march and august are competetion ,
month 2nd half of august,september ,october are gpp
november,december,november,december ,january,febuary are the spp
2nd half of march,april are gpp may june and july are spp
this is what i will be doing in august

Target personal best in 100 meters: 11.00 sec
Target personal best in 200 meters: 22.80 sec
Personal best in 400 meters:
August start of season
Week1
Competition week
Week 2 morning
Day Develop Session Effort Recovery
Rep Set
Saturday Endurance General 210100 1 min 5 min
Sunday General fitness Circuit training
Monday Endurance General 210100 1 min 5 min
Tuesday General fitness Polymetrics
Wednesday Endurance General 210100 1 min 5 min
Thursday General fitness Circuit training
Friday Rest

Week 2 noon
Rep Set
Saturday Strength general Weight training
Sunday
Monday Strength general Weight training
Tuesday
Wednesday Strength general Weight training
Thursday Pool
Friday Rest

Week 3 morning
Rep Set
Friday Rest

Week 3 noon
Rep Set
Sunday 210100 1 min 5 min
Tuesday
Thursday Pool
Friday Rest

Week 4 morning
Rep Set
Friday Rest

Week 4 noon
Rep Set
Sunday
Tuesday
Thursday Pool
Friday Rest

the circuit training consits of
hills medicine balls,milatary presses abdomials
the polymetrics
hope u tell me
the wieght training
leg curl ,leg extension,bench press,shoulder pull,shoulder push,running arm action with weights

believe me, i am not an expert and my comments will go along with this site… anyway
although there are no specific times for you accel zone (i.e., up to 30m), i suppose that’s not your weak point; you need to work more on top speed and if you are losing it at 85-90m on SPEED endurance (i like to make the distinction between speed and special end in 80-150(-200)m and (250-)300m upwards to answer to your other Q -PJ would like that :rolleyes: )
maintaining you accel, you can make much more time from the other two.
for this to happen…

… i would try to progress from a short-to-long schedule -i know you are following a different one, but perhaps for the new GPP, as changing things right now might not be a good idea, unless YOU think so; this approach might be better for short sprints and for you specifically; it’ll allow you to develop top speed and speed end and in this order; always better to put distance on speed rather than speed on distance! the max distance i’ve done so far in one interval is 150m and i’m pretty sure i can run 200m well…
so, i would stay with > or equal to 95% intensity for any speed work! this might seem strange for GPP perhaps, but keep in mind that this is of your CURRENT best and you’ll always be OK! there is no more specific training than this even during GPP and for adaptation of CNS and m. fibres; they’ll get to know pretty soon what they are asked to do…
i haven’t seen any of these sessions there for you; as Charlie says, it’s not the best of 5, but a one-off situation, so train for it! i.e., high intensity and good rests between!
as the name says, in the short-to-long approach you should develop some decent accel first, followed by top speed and lastly be speed end maintaining the rest throughout, which might be tricky at times; examples, 10-30(-40)m, flying 20s-30s with good build up technique-wise of 40-60(-70m) and 95% 80-150s, respectively; you’ll be surprised how quick your speed end sessions will soon become, because top speed is already there!

Weights: i’d go with heavy weights on accel days and medium/light on top speed and speed end days -depending on session, but speed end tends to take more out of me

Plyos: upwards and landing on top of something, or jumping on appropriate mat along with accel-focus phase (hill bounds on grass will also do), vertical plyos along with top speed (e.g., over hurdle, etc) and “length” bounds along with speed end; fit them in your needs; just keep no of reps low! see it as stimulation…

Tempo: since these involve high CNS work, they MUST be alternated with some easy running (referred here as tempo work), which should be of <75% (as upper limit, i’ve never exceeded it!) of current best time of the distance performed and -trust me- on grass! Basically, stay relaxed and let it go as your body dictates (recovery from previous sessions, etc); there are dozens of reasons why this should be there as a recovery session from speed work and some of them are obvious… (e.g., the 300s you’ve got up there, but on
trainers and grass preferrably)

hope this helps!

PS “don’t bother” asking Charlie about the above; it’s all his… :eek:
PS sorry, but i’ve got a problem with sending PMs…

thanks a lot Nikolouski…very useful information that i will intend to use…cheers

Good post nikoluski!

Good book Charlie (2002 forum review)

NIK, I got some ques.

which are the following are accel, Top speed & SE and could you describe how there done?

10-30(-40)m
40-60(-70m)
95% 80-150

also on plyos could you give an example of length bounds? is it bounding along the gorund instead of up a hill? alt leg? not legs together at same time?

thanx, new to sprinting

The order of the range of distances above correspond to the following: acceleration (up to 30 m might be enough), top speed (perhaps up to 50 m max, if new to speed work) and speed endurance (usually anything above that is regarded special endurance, e.g., >/=250 m for 400 m perhaps)

Not sure what do you mean by examples; the volumes that you can sustain per session is an individual matter. However, shorter sessions performed at the right speeds might be of greater importance vs. those of high volumes ending up with below max speeds, or 95% at least for Speed Endurance, for example.

Plyos: yes, this is what I meant (alt legs) and preferrably on grass -look at for good/even surface.

Hope it helps!

Thanx NIK,

accel 30m
One would accel while running for a total of 30m? if broken down by 10m increments each 10 m would be getting progressively faster?

Top speed 50m
would run 20m then run as fast as one could for 50? or just run as fast as one could for 50m? from start to finish the 50 m would somewhat be the same speed?

Im not getting the diffrence between accel & TS besides the obvious 20m.

which day would you use blocks? accel?

10-30(-40), what does (-40) mean?

yes, it should get faster per 10 m segments, but as a result of the speed increasing during this time, i.e, not intentionally by 10 m segments… It’s a max effort and the term acceleration refers to the time spent to reach top speed (later on); hope it makes sense… :confused:

There are two ways (among others) to target top speed. One is to run 50 m from start to finish -with the speed getting progressively faster and not remaining the same, only natural, as it includes both the acceleration zone and top speed phase; the other is to run relaxed the first 20-30 m (as a build up focusing on good rhythm/technique) and then run at 100% effort for the remaining distance (e.g., 30 + 20 m for a total of 50 m). The build up distance should get longer and longer as the training phase progresses, but usually it varies between 20-40 m with 20 m finish drills (the 100% effort running) at the end (e.g., 20 + 20 m for a total of 40 m, or 40 + 20 m for a total of 60 m).

I hope you get it now! :slight_smile:

Block work is usually used for the same distances as in acceleration sessions (e.g., 20-40 m), but not necessarily on acceleration days; you can have a short block workout before any session depending on your personal needs…

That it can/could extend to 40 m depending on your level; 40 m might be taking you to top speed work, although the lower the performance level of the athlete, the less you should be concerned with this, as the differences are small in terms of how much you can stress/push your self anyway…

Hope it helps!