Strength vs Power

A lot of people seem to think that strength and power are the same thing but if it was why would they be named differently? I know that they are related but what are the facts regarding these two qualities?

do a search, but to my knowledge (very little), strength is an expression of strength regardless of time or speed, whereas power accounts for these two.

Numba is right about max strength. It is the amount of mass that can be moved irregardless of time.

The definition of power is velocity x force. Velocity is the speed of movement. That is pretty self explanitory. Something moving at 100 miles per hour has a higher velocity than something that is moving at 10 miles per hour.

Force is really two things. Mass x acceleration. in training force, the focus can be on mass(Ma) or acceleration(mA). Acceleration(or deceleration) is the change in velocity.

The confusion regarding these two words comes about because they are often used by people interchangably. Such use is, of course, not accurate.

The above definitions should help to clear that up.

Strength is a powerlifter doing a squat, deadlift, or bench.

A weightlifter doing a Snatch is a pure expression of Power.

A powerlifter has little or no athletic ability, no insult intended.

Weightlifters are purely athletic.

Power is simply strength with speed (strength divided by speed).
For example, is we both have a maximum bench press of 300 lbs, our maximum strength is the same. If it takes you 2 seconds to lift the 300 lbs and it takes me 3 seconds to lift it, you are more powerful in that movement (the bench press) than me.

No athletic ability? We were talking about power and strength. Now you are defining what makes somebody ‘athletic’? How is squatting and deadlifting 3 times bodyweight and benching 2 times bodyweight not athletic? How is being dominating in your sport, even if that sport is powerlifting not considered to be athletic? I believe you may be a little confused with terms here.

The definition of athletic “physically active and strong; good at athletics or sports”. Now that has been cleared up, continue with the thread. Didn’t mean to hijack!

Ask a powerlifter to jump or run and compare the difference to a weightlifter.

I did not say that they wern’t strong.

the thread is about the differece between strength and power, I gave an example.

Actually, world class powerlifters are very athletic. Do you realize powerlifters and weightlifters still do a lot of the same exercises? If you’re thinking of fat-ass powerlifters, then no, then again there’s tons of fat-ass weightlifters as well. Your example is poor. Take a world-class powerlifter at 165 or 181 pounds and ask him to jump and run, you would be very surprised my friend. Like honestly, take Oleksandr Kutcher for example, he’s current WPO lightweight champion (165 Pounds) He squatted 826 Pounds, benched 551 and deadlifted 793 pounds, even with the retarded gear they use, those lifts are incredible. The amount of power and acceleration he’s using to get through those sticking points in his lifts, and your telling me he’s not athletic? For argument purposes, say his equipment gives him an extra 200 pounds on his raw squat, that’s still a 626 pound squat at 165 pounds. I wouldn’t be surprised that this gentleman uses many lifts comparable to a weightlifter (Front Squats, deadlift variations, maybe even plyos). I would say he’s very comparable to a weightlifter in jumping and running as well.

one thing, those fat ass weightlifters can still jump and run vs the fat ass pl.

You make no sense, are you attempting to say, “fat weightlifters run and jump faster than fat powerlifters”, if so, that’s completely hypothetical. You can’t cross out the athletic ability of a powerlifting, just cause you think there less athletic than a weightlifter. Many sprinters train very similar to that of a powerlifter. Heavy squats… heavy deads… heavy benching… increasing the cns capacity… low reps… long rest periods… I could be describing a sprinter or a powerlifter here… hmmm.

thats what i was saying, you are silly for even thinking pl are athletes. give me break plz dont compare sprinters to pl…

I imagine a powerlifter will have a good standing long jump and a good vertical jump.

The world record for a standing long jump is by a shot putter - big, heavy, lots of heavy lifting etc, etc

and you forgot lots of ol’s, some short jumps/sprints.

Read an article last in 2005 bout a top british powerlifter, who played rugby as a teenager and also ran 10.8secs at 16yrs.
Top Vet powerlifter Andy Rodney ran 10.9 as a youngster. Some powerlifters have been oly. weightlifters and vice versa.
I am not a powerlifter so have no axe to grind.

I have worked with both Olympic Lifters and Powerlifters, Powerlifters at a world level and decient National level Olympic Lifters. When I say I worked with, I do not mean I developed them to that level. There was no comparison in athletic abilities. The powerlifter was tight and sluggish, but very strong. His strength was amazing.

Your fast powerlifter had a background, you are using specific examples. I made a generalization, a mistake in most cases. But I still stand by it, in my experience Powerlifters were not as athletic as weightlifters.

I have no axe to grind, I am not slagging off anyone.

Standing long jump competitions are nearly always won by shotputters. The object of the shot put is to move a 16lb shot as far as possible. This is done by directing as much force as possible in a very short amount of time. A powerlifter is the opposite, as much force irrespective of time.

I guess nobody seen the great powerlifter, Paul Anderson race Bob Hayes? Anderson weighed aprox. 360 lbs

Though I know he did some powerlifting in exhibitions(maybe a few competitions?) he was known primarily as an olympic lifter-gold in 56 olympics, I think. The only race I heard about was between he and a former 440y guy-Jim Lea?(don’t know what kind of times he ran though or anything about him other than that).

…and I’m quite sure the timed distance was a 100 yards, not meters. Also would have been timed by a stop watch.

I wish I could remember the author of the article(I believe it was from an article)-it might have been Bill Starr. The race was a short dash from a city street begun right where the curb/sidewalk met the street and up one or two flights of stairs leading up to an apartment building. Approx. 10-15y or so I’d guess based upon the description. This was something I read a number of years ago so the accuracy of my recall might be a bit lacking.