Strength to Weight

I am currently getting ready for my first seriously planned max strength phase to increase my bench press. Without giving too many details, it will be based on percentages of my 1RM and will climax to an attempt at a new 1RM in 4 weeks. Because it is so difficult to increase both the bp and squat at the same time, i am looking to put together a lower body workout for 2 days a week to go with the plyos. I was thinking something along the lines of a 2x6 of squat and a 2x8 of SLD or hyperextensions (depending on the day). The only thing that im not sure about is how the sets/reps for my squat will progress as the weeks go on because i feel like goin to low on the reps will take away CNS resources from my bench. At this point i am about 160 and benching 245 so i will have to be very careful about wearing myself out, but my goal is to stay at that weight and get to 300ish thru future strength phases

Since you are planning ahead through several strength phases, wouldn’t you try to alternate emphasis as you go? (IE BP,SQ,BP,SQ) If so, would that influence how far the bench would go? Are you flexible on this goal?

Echoing Charlies’s comments, and assuming you also want to increase your SQ 1RM, you can stagger the intensities of your BP and SQ. Four week cycles are very short, so I’ve put this into a 6-week cycle. Warm up reps are not included.

Wk1: BP 5 x 5@75%…SQ 4 x 2@95%
Wk2: BP 5 x 5@80%…SQ 2 x 1@90%
Wk3: BP 6 x 3@90%…SQ Test 1RM
Wk4: BP 4 x 2@95%…SQ 5 x 5@75%
Wk5: BP 2 x 1@90%…SQ 5 x 5@80%
Wk6: BP Test…SQ 6 x 3@90%

Stretching this out to 8-weeks would make it even easier to train both concurrently. The reps and loads are examples and should be modified to your liking.

Edit: Sorry about the links, couldn’t get rid of them.

To answer your question charlie, yes i would plan on switching up the emphasis through different strength phases its just that i am a pretty good squatter and not such a good bencher (i.e. my squat moves up extremely quickly). Also would there be an interim period that i would have to throw in between each phase to prevent any overtraining/injury?

Originally posted by star61
Echoing Charlies’s comments, and assuming you also want to increase your SQ 1RM, you can stagger the intensities of your BP and SQ. Four week cycles are very short, so I’ve put this into a 6-week cycle. Warm up reps are not included.

Wk1: BP 5 x 5@75%…SQ 4 x 2@95%
Wk2: BP 5 x 5@80%…SQ 2 x 1@90%
Wk3: BP 6 x 3@90%…SQ Test 1RM
Wk4: BP 4 x 2@95%…SQ 5 x 5@75%
Wk5: BP 2 x 1@90%…SQ 5 x 5@80%
Wk6: BP Test…SQ 6 x 3@90%

Stretching this out to 8-weeks would make it even easier to train both concurrently. The reps and loads are examples and should be modified to your liking.

Edit: Sorry about the links, couldn’t get rid of them.

I never thought of doing something like this, i like how it kinda offsets each rep scheme so that i dont burn myself out. Ill use something very close to that for sure