Strength gains

I meant to say you don’t benchpress with your legs. Benchpress competes very little for the CNS or muscular demands of sprinting.

You don’t NEED to train like a bodybuilder to gain mass, but bodybuilding (i.e. higher rep range around 8-10 and higher volume per workout) is without question a faster, more effecient way for a football player to gain mass. He won’t need all the volume, accessory exercises and single joint exercises, but the higher rep scheme and higher volumes workbest. What would you have him do to gain mass?

And yes, Ben did train like a jumper (plyos and jumps), bodybuilder (higher rep schemes on his bench press and squats) and shotputter (lots of throws and strength work). He didn’t lift Oly’s, but that was Charlie’s choice because of Ben’s less than stellar form. Charlie did like cleans, though.

If it’s the off-season, yes, I can agree that you take advantage of those times when even unexpectedly you can push big weights. However, if it’s in the comp. phase, doing so at the wrong time can so compromise your other training and as it serves as the weights serve a supportive role for non-lifting sports you should not blow out weights just because you can since it might affect your ability to sprint or jump etc. when you need to have that in a different week in terms of volumes and intensities.

What do you guys think about the westside for skinny bastards routine?

I know it doesn’t work the best for speed work, but he has a set up that includes that too (at least for general off season work)

What do you guys think about the westside for skinny bastards routine?

I know it doesn’t work the best for speed work, but he has a set up that includes that too (at least for general off season work)

I never change training to increase/decrease bodyweight, that should be taken care with your diet.

Ben trained like a sprinter!!!

Show me a sprinter that trains like a powerlifter and I will show you a slow sprinter…

And that’s exactly the point - who cares if you can bench more than me or Ben? It’s not who is the strongest, it’s who is the fastest.
There is no Bench press comp after the 100 dash - otherwise go try out for a Crossfit Comp :slight_smile:

So long as you have the muscles in the right areas for a sprinter - eg, upper hammies/glutes/lower back ect - then you’re doing the right things.

Weights are there to help you run faster - if they are not, you’re doing something wrong.

use the current 3 x rm as a base to work from not your lifetime pb.

He’s not a sprinter he’s a football player!!! Show me a football player that trains like sprinter and I’ll show you a skinny, weak footballl player. And if you program lifting designed for strength or power in the same manner you program weights for hypertrophy, you miss the boat. If it were diet only, there wouldn’t be so many obese people walking around, they would all look line NFL linemen.

He’s not a sprinter!!! He’s a football player looking to get bigger and stronger. Read the thread.

I like DeFranco for football players. Complex training, Heavy, low rep loads for strength and moderate, higher rep loads for hypertrophy. Also includes work for RFD and acceleration. He is more than willing to share his templates for free and has produced some good results. Not something that would work for a pure sprinter, but for football its very satisfactory.

He’s a skill guy - who cares about getting bigger and stronger.

Is that really what you think? Bigger and stronger doesn’t matter for skill guys? Perhaps one of the most amazing things I’ve ever heard a coach say. But to actually answer a silly question, the original poster cares. If you don’t want to answer his question and help HIM attain HIS goals, fine. But if he feels he needs to be bigger and stonger, and at 6’ 5" he damn well better have some upper body strength, I’m happy to help.

Have you ever played or coached the game at a decent level - plz don’t include peewee? Doesn’t take much to gain muscle mass - we just completed our workout with a little dog crap training aka hypertrophy work at the very end (took about 5mins)…

I thought Charlie used the bench press as a mean of stressing the CNS, while not taxing the muscles involved in sprinting…

this probably depends a bit on the individual though, right? some would need a higher volume than others i assume, though i do see that most people try to do too much (myself included)

i would love to be at a playing weight of 220

right now im at 218 (i already gained 6 pounds since i started this thread!)

I’d like to get up to 230… while adding some much needed strength. Then drop that 10 pounds as the summer wears on. Right now if I did tempo and conditioning stuff, I’d shrink down to a rail thin 200.

i would love to be at a playing weight of 220

right now im at 218 (i already gained 6 pounds since i started this thread!)

I’d like to get up to 230… while adding some much needed strength. Then drop that 10 pounds as the summer wears on. Right now if I did tempo and conditioning stuff, I’d shrink down to a rail thin 200.

You can get smart if you want, your comments speak for themselves. My family includes coaches who have coached at the University of Texas and Texas Tech, among others. I have trained athletes to over 1000lbs. in the squat and 800lbs. in the benchpress. I understand strength and hypertrophy.

To say that size and strength doesn’t factor in to an athletes ability to excel at almost every position in football is quite a statement, to say the least.

And to be using DC training on younger, immature athletes is totally ludicrous. DC training can work for very experienced, very mature lifters who already have a very good base of strength and size. But it is incredibly draining on the CNS because EVERY set is done to failure. Your results will be poorer than alternative hypertrophy methods, such as WSFSB, and the CNS demands resulting from several sets to failure will interfere with other training means. Exactly what you DON’T want to be doing. Even Dante would not recommend this for a younger athlete who doesn’t have an considerable base of strength and mass.

Who cares about your family, I’m talking about “YOU”. BTW, it wasn’t DC training.