step over drive down

Is step over drive down the most important cue??? if so what is the proper range of motion it should be executed

How can there be the same que for so many different people?
My fav to date is

Run faster ( how many times have we heard that

another fav

pump your arms ( no kidding)

Depends what is going on with you? As an individual.
Have you purchased anything from this site?
just wondering.
I could maybe suggest something.
Ange

Ange’s right. It’s a cue, but not necessarily the cue. It really depends on the individual.

I would recommend the video Fundamentals 1: Speed & Strength because it shows a lot of practical application of coaching cues to correct technique.

On this particular point, you really need someone watching you. The range of motion of the movement will largely be dependent upon flexibility, particularly in the quads, and reaction forces off the ground. In terms of the subjective sensation of stepping over and down, for myself personally it feels like I’m stepping over the support ankle rather than over the support knee, with my swing foot feeling like it’s coming over about mid shin. That’s what it felt like when Charlie was done adjusting my technique. However, someone else might experience a different subjective sensation of the motion. This is not the actual range of motion of my swing foot, just what it feels like. Most of the range of motion is happening too quickly for me to feel it.

I think the idea is that once the lead knee reaches its most extended (highest) point, the foreleg naturally starts to open up (extend forward ahead of the knee). “Drive down” is, I believe, a cue to not overdo this, so touchdown does not occur well in front of center of mass. [The videos of Lemaitre’s recent race are wonderful to watch in this regard, because it is rare to get slow motion of a top sprinter. After the race, his coach said he was touching down too far out front.]

ok thanks for the advice…i understand that subjectively everyone has a different sensation and conception of the proper execution of this cue…i will have a tf coach analyze my gait pattern