Stefanie's

I dont know how the hell you do this but I put it at 50mA and i try to go up and down but damn… Im too busy trying to fight the pain… I have to post this on youtube its funny as hell…

Anyway how high do you crank up the stim before you start going up and down.

Also how long are the rest periods?

thanks!

I dont know how the hell you do this but I put it at 50mA and i try to go up and down but damn… Im too busy trying to fight the pain… I have to post this on youtube its funny as hell…

Anyway how high do you crank up the stim before you start going up and down.

Also how long are the rest periods?

thanks!

It’s only pain :stuck_out_tongue: You’ll get used to it !
Which muscle category are you working on when going up to 50mA? I have different 'pb’s for different muscles. With glutes, I’ve gone up to 300, with hamstrings I’m usually in the 120mA range (sometimes higher, sometimes lower), and my ‘shameful’ category are my quads, which are in the 50-60mA zone, on a good day. I’m progressive with the cranking in the first 2 reps, but for example with hamstrings, I’ll start at 70-80.
Make sure you’re not lying flat on your stomach with the hamstrings, because you can cramp seriously… I’m on my feet, bent forward at 90 degrees when I do them, but the Compex booklet doesn’t describe such a position - I find it the most effective.

For explosive strength and strength, I believe that the rests are 40".

Please, post on youtube :slight_smile:

Damn 300mA??? how long did it take to get to that? I would prob tear something… GEEZ

It funny that you mention the quads I cant get past 60 either… maybe more type 2 fibers there? Im going to try going on a glute ham machine for my hamstrings.

As far as youtube goes… I have to post when Im talking and in mid sentence the stim cranks up… LOL

For glutes, it was 2nd or 3rd try around :stuck_out_tongue:

Friday, Dec. 3rd, 2010

(all on grass)

• 20min warm up
  • 5 min dynamic stretching
  • 100+100+100+
    100+100+200+100+
    100+200++200++100+
    100+100+200++100
    100+100+ 'interview interruption here by kind old men of the park :slight_smile:
    100+100+100+
    100+200++100+
    100+ (I stopped here because I started turning ankles in holes very frequently during this set and I didn’t like it any more)
    (+ = less than 50m walk, ++ = 100m walk)

At the monkey bars:

• 4 x 12 dips

• 3 x 8 chin ups

• 2 x 10 pull ups

• abs and push ups

The more bodyfat you have over the muscles you are trying to stimulate the higher the electrical resistance. Leaner people will thus have to use lower mA, and areas with a thicker layer of fat (e.g. glutes) can tolerate higher currents.

Saturday, Dec. 4th, 2010

• 40min easy run. I had an irritation very very low and to the inside of of my right shin, which probably derives from the right ankle twisting from Friday’s fields, so I went home to give it a rest.

EMS:

• 40min strength on glutes (up to 140mA)
  • 30min explosive strength on hamstrings (up to 120mA)
  • 30min active recovery on hamstrings
  • 30min active recovery on calves
  • 40min strength on quads (up to 60mA)

Went to Blue Note and ate foie gras for the first time, sooo delicious and such good music… And too much red wine… Need to hydrate !!!

Yes, it also has much to do with muscle density (the more dense, the easier to tolerate), and pain tolerance factor, of course… :rolleyes:

Sunday, Dec. 5th, 2010

Long warm up, and 2hrs EMS, push ups and abs
(rain, I think? Or snow. I forgot)

Monday, Dec. 6th, 2010
off (rain)

Tuesday, Dec. 7th, 2010

(more rain and lots of it)

3 hours EMS

• strength on glutes (150mA)
  • expl. strength on hamstrings (130mA)
  • active recovery on hamstrings
  • active recovery on calves
  • strength on quads (50mA)
  • active recovery quads

100 push ups and abs

Tomorrow I get wet again, and then I think the rain stops.

can you explain this 3 hours EMS?
Seems too much work!

50mA on quad?

:slight_smile:

But i’m just laying/standing there and it’s doing all the work :stuck_out_tongue:
All I must do is tolerate… :slight_smile:

3 hrs add up like this:

• 40min strength on glutes (it’s how long the program takes, including warm up and cool down)
  • 40min expl. strength on hamstrings (80total)
  • 30min active recovery on hamstrings (1:20total)
  • 30min active recovery on calves (1:50)
  • 40min strength on quads (2:30)
  • 30min active recovery on quads (3:00hrs) :slight_smile:

50mA is pathetic on the quads, no? I’ll work on it…
Jami, remember that back problem? Well, if I sit and do work for many hours, it sneaks back, and then I have to drop and do push ups or whatever :o, or go train, and it disappears. I suppose I have to be careful never to go with many hours sitting.
90 degree chairs were a wrong invention, in my opinion.
Once in Greece, I’m doing doubles… They worked all Sept-Oct. long and I also sat for 8hrs a day ,and never had any problems with my back.

Wed, Dec 8th, 2010

(5 degrees and raining)

• 15min bike to park

• 35min warm up (jog, skips, dynamic stretching)

• tempo: (on dirt park)
    200+200+200++
    200+200+200++
    200+200+200++++++++ :rolleyes:
    (+ = walk 100m )

3 x 60m Charlie dorsiflexing skips (I’ll get my 4th floor friend to tape this using his phone, when I get the chance; i don’t feel like drawing).

• rubber band sideways walks

• push ups and abs randomly during work (back…)

That EMS bypasses the CNS (partially true as it does create cortically processed increased feedback from the area,if anything by means of increased awareness - what you call tolerance -) does not imply that it does not elicit hormonal and enzymatic responses,not to mention key autonomic responses,which may be desirable to an end,or counter productive to the very same end, even when/if you are “just laying/standing there”…

So i’m assuming counterproductive when used prior to sprinting, and on CNS-recovery days?

I agree there’s partial CNS stress during usage (I can tell because I can’t read with concentration during it), but I still see it as an ‘easier’ means to training, because I’m not being ‘forced’ to create the muscle stimulations, as opposed to going out there and making myself sprint, if you know what I mean.

That being said… 200s are much easier with EMS training support (mentally-wise)

Not necessarily,as it all depends in which adaptive state you are in to start with,and where you end up after stim. As any other stimulus,it may well help to keep you in a favorable adaptive state,or throw you way off it. As for each set of stimuli it is totally dependent on how it is incorporated in a training program.
I would not pick your back status as an indicator of such,as the improvement you are getting is solely due the momentarily increased feedback your brain is getting,and hence its response.The very same can be applied to your 200’s as well,although in that case a minimal neurological “gain” may contribute to your seemingly altered perception.

So would you say that it is used ‘safely’ when being incorporated in a training program the same way that a weight training supplementation would take place? Or it is more/ less intense? Or just something completely different?

Re back issue; if it has a direct correlation to brain activity and studying, I guess I’m screwed :stuck_out_tongue: Oh man…

See,everything tends to have correlation with brain activity of some kind.Otherwise there would not be any “everything” at all…

Re-read what I wrote about adaptive states. There lie all of possible answers to your questions above. It is completely a matter of where you are ,and where you want to move to.From here,I just…cannot tell!

I’ll ponder on it then …
Thank you for your feedback so far!

Do you think you have found the solution to such equilibrium that you describe?
I only know of the Spartans. :o
As complicated as it sounds to achieve, I think we have evolved in a bad way, hindering the clarity in order to understand the simplicity of it. And once one understands, well, the practicality of doing is another story.
Until then, I personally can only act, and write about it, with all the valuable feedback that I can get.

I agree,and you are surely doing a good job.

Surprizingly, this gives me twice the motivation for tomorrow and now. :slight_smile: Thank you.

Thursday, Dec. 9th, 2010

This morning was running around trying to find a printer that worked and had ink in it, in order to print my three-finger-length-thick research accomplished during 2010, along with my three publications :slight_smile: I love how I love my topic.

I also love Nicola Piovani’s music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpxaTslABDY

What I don’t love, are people at the Politecnico. They all need lives.

Anyway, job done, including

• 15+15+15+15min bike rides to and from the university.

Then normal training with a light heart and a heavy heavy heavyyy wind. I had planned this to be plyo-day:

• medium-long warm up
  • 5min dynamic stretching

(everything on grass)

• 5 x 20min uphill A skips

• 5 x 20min uphill running A skips

• 5 x 20min uphill B skips
    (stretching)

• 3 x 80m strides

• 6 x R-R-L-L for 32 ground contacts each set - I went further and further until I reached a certain tree that was 65m away)
    (stretching)

• 5 x 10m uphill depth jumps (with short stops after each contact)
    (stretching)

• 5 x 25m uphill accelerations

• 7 x double stairs for 18 contacts each set

• 3 x 6 imaginary hurdle hops

• pull ups/chin ups at the monkey bars

I want steak.