Stefanie's journal

OK, I admit, I was REALLY stressed out when I saw the physio the first day. She even asked me why I looked stressed. I said it was because I thought it would take time for me to recover. (I didn’t mean to laugh at your injury. I think some people have different reactions to stressors.)

I’ve done a few pool workouts which were vv tough:
The only 1 i can remember is 5*30sec jogging/sprinting on the spot. If this is too easy try 45sec…
Hope this helps

Sorry to hear of your injury!!

Are you able to lift at all? Perform any olympic movements like the hangclean? You’ll need those to help maintain RFD.

Here are some examples of pool, bike and circuit workouts to at least help you maintain.

warmup, stretching then:

10 x 45 seconds sprinting in the pool either in the deep end or touching the bottom. (water up to your neck)

I would look at these 2-3 times a week as a recovery modality. Every week add a rep or two till you get to 2 x 9 x 45 seconds. (Take 30-45 seconds break between reps and 2 minutes between sets)

A’s and B’s in the water. (~20 per leg) as many sets as is comfortable.

This workout is hard but good. You’ll feel dead afterwards :slight_smile:

Bike sprints/weights
3-5 x 20 seconds bike sprints (As fast as you can at high resistance with 2-3 minutes of slow cycling in between) Repeat as necessary

3 sets hangcleans with 2 minutes rest (if you are able)

various lower body weights mostly assistance work
core work and med ball

1. Circuits (triples)

depending on your injury you can look at doing these for strength endurance.

example: (No rest within each triple. Rest between triples noted below)

3 x (squat jumps (20), pushups (40), situps(30) If you cant do bodyweight squat jumps on a mat just do bodyweight squats
2 minutes rest

3 x (burpees (20) floppy fish (20) lungewalk (8 per side)
2 minutes rest

3 x (chins(10), V-sits(30), Dips(20))
Finished

Again depending on the extent of your injury don’t perform anything too intense if it is going to set you back. Also you can sub in many exercises above. (stepups, med ball, etc)

With triples you get out of them what you put into them. I have done them and puked before. They are extremely demanding when performed hard.

The above should keep you fit and explosive while you recover. Doing the circuits on a good mat will also minimize the risk of irritating your injury.

Best of luck, I know it sucks but you’ll come back faster than before :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks a lot Cris!

Just a few questions: You said do pool workouts 2-3 times a week as recovery - how often should I do Bike sprints and how often Circuits?

A’s and B’s in the pool would have do be done touching the ground, right? If yes, then I can’t do that…it hurts to put any pressure on my right toes (fracture is in second meditorsal).

Is there anything to replace hanglean? Can’t do that.

Squat jumps are out of the question too. Push ups I’d have to do with one leg on top of the other - I’ll try it…

Could you kindly explain what burpees, floppy fish, V-sits and dips are? I really appreciate your help…

Lungewalks would be painful to do too.

If you have anything that could replace the stuff I can’t do,that would be great.
Thanks a lot!

No problem :slight_smile:

I thought for some reason your injury was to your shin.

I would do the A’s and B’s in the deep end while floating and possibly on one side of the pool. (one leg at a time)

I’ll post sub exercises later this morning for you.

I would do the bike twice a week, pool twice a week and circuits 1-2 times a week depending on how you feel.

I’ll write again later this morning/afternoon,

Chris

Is there anything to replace hanglean? Can’t do that.

• hmmm with your foot being injured I doubt you could perform any RFD work at the moment. Probably later though.

Squat jumps are out of the question too. Push ups I’d have to do with one leg on top of the other - I’ll try it…

• Do you think you could do squats without jumping at the end. Just fast down and up for more reps? (Say 30-40?)

Could you kindly explain what burpees, floppy fish, V-sits and dips are? I really appreciate your help…
Burpees you will likely not be able to do if you cant do squat jumps.

you start in a standing position, drop down, kick your legs back behind you, tuck them under you and then jump straight up.

Floppy fish:
Lie on your stomach raise left leg and right arm then repeat with opposite side

V-sits:
Lie on your back and then do a situp with your legs pretty straight and your hands going straight up. Kind of like a pike. It’s almost like folding yourself :slight_smile:

I would try just bodyweight squats for reps instead of squat jumps.

You can also sub in assistance weight work for your lower body. Leg extensions, ham curls etc

Here is a schedule you could try:
1 - Bike sprint/weights/Core
2 - Pool work
3 - Circuits
4 - Bike Sprint/weights/Core
5 - Pool work
6 - REST
7 - REST

Good luck with everything, if you have any further questions please ask.

Thanks a lot again!

No questions for now.

Yesterday night after classes I went to the gym and hopped on the bike. I had no idea what I was gonna do. Fist I cycled for about 20minutes, and then I started doing 20sec sprints at high resistance, with 40sec recoveries (easy cycling). I did about 12 of those. Then I cycled for another 10minutes. Then I still wanted to do something, so I hopped on the other bike (the one where you kinda lay back) and did a program with various hills for 15 minutes. Some of those hills brought my heart rate up, so I was pleased.

Today I went to the pool and did the workout Chris suggested:
I did 2945sec sprints, with 45sec recovery between reps and 2min between sets. It was a very good workout. As I keep doing these, I’ll bring the recovery down to 30sec.
Then I did A’s and B’s with the floating belt. B’s felt kinda awkward in the water.

Tomorrow I’ll either do bike sprints/weights/core or circuits. Then starting Monday I’ll follow the schedule Chris suggested.

Good stuff! Best of luck with it!

Be sure to do a lot of lower body stretching after the bike work as it can sometimes make you tight.

Also 30 seconds rest is perfect in the pool work. I wasn’t sure what level you were at so I was conservative with the rest periods :slight_smile:

How does your foot feel? Any discomfort?

Chris

So far, on the bike and in the pool, the foot felt fine. As long as I don’t press on my toes on the bike and long use specific angles to push the water in the pool, I’m fine :slight_smile: .

Today would be my first indoor track meet :frowning:
Sooo painful, watching everyone else run…

How is the rehab going?

Cheers,
Chris

My rehab is putting this bone stimulator device on my foot every day for 20 minutes, which will make the bone heal faster. I also wear this flat-soled shoe for another week or so. I feel it getting better little by little…I just hope it doesn’t take more than 4 weeks (doc said 4-6 weeks). Anyways, I’m trying to be nice to it :wink:

Chis, I tried the Circuits yesterday, changing some of the stuff that I couldn’t do. What a workout! And I didn’t even do all the reps you wrote.
First of all, my jump squats were simply squats (I tried to come up quick and explosively though).
There’s no way I can do 40 push ups right now!! I did 20 each time, and that was still hard. I’ll work on it :wink:
Instead of burpees I did arm swings (30each) with 10lbs DBs, and instead of lungewalks I did superman stance for 1 minute. And instead of dips, I did butt raisers with the big bouncy ball (20 of them).
V-sits are impossible!! 30 of them?? I only could manage 15 each time… :stuck_out_tongue:

I have pleeeeently of room for improvement with these Circuits :slight_smile:

Today I started my regular schedule. I did the Bike sprints: 3 - 5*20sec. I just wasn’t clear on the recovery. You said 2-3 min slow cycling between. I assumed you ment between sets. Between reps, I had a 40sec recovery, is that ok? Should I try decreasing that as I keep getting better?

For weights, I superseted DB bench presses (3 sets of 12) with pull ups (3 sets), then superset 2 sets of 8 step ups (each leg - I did this carefully, cause I can’t push my right toes) with 2 sets of 12 curl and press.
Then 3 sets of 10 glut and ham raises (ouch for ham), and abbs…

Good stuff!! Those triples are tough aren’t they :slight_smile: V-sits are hard as well :slight_smile:

Yes sorry about that I meant 2-3 minutes between sets not reps on the bike sprints. Those subbed in exercises for the circuits sound great too!

You are going to be in GREAT shape when your foot heals!

Talk to you soon,
Chris

Pool work today went really well.
I did the 2 *(9 *45sec sprints), and this time my recovery between reps was cut down to 30seconds. I was still catching my breath before starting each rep, but I pulled through it :slight_smile:
After that I did 4 *20sec sprints with 40sec recoveries, cause I felt I should include some speed in as well. Those were piece of cake compared to the other ones… :wink:
Finally, A’s and B’s with floating belt. B’s don’t feel awkward any more in the water.

This isnt really relavant to anything, but where do yuo go to school?? I assume you are in college, correct??

I changed the workout order a tiny bit, so it could fit my schedule and social life :slight_smile:
Wednesday I did circuits as planned, but before that I did weights with a teammate. If I remember correctly, I did 3 sets of 12full squats, 2 supersets of chin ups and curl and press, 3 supersets of DB jerks and DB standing rows, 2 sets of 8 single leg hyper(each) and abbs.

Today instead of doing bike sprints, I did pool work with a friend. For warmup, I did 2 laps kick board, 6 easy 30sec sprints with 30sec rest between, and one more lap of kick board.
Then I did the 2*(9*45sec sprint) workout, followed by A’s and B’s for about 7 minutes.

Tomorrow I’ll do bike sprints followed by weights, and then another friend wants to go to the pool with me, so I’ll use that as my cool down recovery :slight_smile:

Looks good!

Cheers,
Chris

My bike workout went well. Some of my sprints were up to 137rpm. My slowest ones were 120rpm.
I did a ten min warm up, then 3520sec. At the last set, my heart rate went up to 185. I did a 10min cool down on the other bike (the laid back one), just to change it up a little.

My plan was to do weights after, but I really didn’t feel like it, plus, I already did weights twice this week… Pool also got cancelled, cause my friend overslept and didn’t show up, and I was practically going to keep her company, so I stretched and called it a morning.

Tomorrow I’m not doing anything, cause I’ll go watch my team compete at their second indoor meet, and I’ll be sitting there feeling jealous :frowning:
Oh well, everything happens for a reason. I hope there’s a good one behind this… :wink:

Today Monday: usual bike workout, but it was feeling very good, and I was going faster, (ave 130-135rpm), so I did another set of 5 sprints after the regular 3 for a total of 20 sprints. At the end, my heart rate was 180, when last week, it was 185.

So this is my question Chris, or anyone esle:
Since these are feeling better and a bit easier, should I increase the reps or sets, or move up from 20sec sprints with 40sec recoveries to 30sec sprints with 30sec recoveries?

For weights I did leg extensions, leg curls, leg press, back extension, incline press, calf raises and some sit ups and push ups.

Tomorrow pool. I’ll try something different this time - I don’t know what yet :slight_smile:

As I said yesterday I would do, I tried something different in the pool:

2 sets of :
2min(1min rest) - 1.5min(1min rest) - 1min(1min rest) - 30sec(30sec rest) - 30sec(30sec rest) - 1min(1min rest) - 1.5min(1min rest) - 2min
2 minutes rest before the second set

A’s and B’s