Stefanie's journal

Also, I found a pair of Adidas Hyperspeed (hard to find, don’t know why) that has a torsion bar or whatever they call it built inside. You could always check websites like runningtimes.com and look at the shoe section to find out which Adidas shoe one has the torsion thing in it.

I went to the adidas website, and they have it, but it’s a men’s shoe. Do you know if they have it for women?

I do my coach’s workouts, but I want to know what you’re thinking, because sometimes I do my own workouts too. What do you find wrong with what I’m doing now?
I have a feeling you’ll say that we need more real speed workouts and less tempo-like workouts. Is that what you’re thinking?

I did a quick search and don’t get it. The only quick and dirty solution I can think of is to order a pair of men’s that would be your size. I have no idea if that would work. There’s a store in a mall nearby called Sport Chek and the store chain has a website but it’s in Canada. Anyway, they’re half price for $60 Canadian which is $40 US.
http://www.sportchek.ca/product_description.jhtml?id=prod1940166

Stephanie, I couldn’t sleep and was trying to keep myself up because I have something important to do this morning. So, to have something to do while I was up, I decided to make a more complete search on what I recommended. When I clicked on the Adidas online store, I ended up noticing a lot of their women’s running shoes do have the Torsion system I was talking about.

http://thestore.adidas.com/cgi-bin/adilive/b2c/index.w?sourceid=qDSiQAfEEwKWAmBzZC-8&bfinfo=mboard
This is the Adidas Response W and is said to have an ultra supportive ride. It has the Torsion technology and is a women’s shoe. I don’t know why but this was in the cushion category although it says they’re ultra supportive. But if you click on control, you’ll see control shoes that also have the Torsion system.

Oh, thanks! There are a few choices there.
This Tuesday a woman from a shoe store is coming to our school for shoe fittings on Adidas shoes, because that’s what our team buys. I’ll see is she has any of the shoes on stock with torsion support, so I can try them on with my orthotics and see if they’re comfortable :slight_smile:
Thanks for looking into it!

You know what curiousdude?
The shoes I’ve been using actually have the Torsion system you’ve been talking about. I did a search in Eastbay, and my shoe was there, with torsion support in its description (“injected TPU shank”).
http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?TID=5555-28160419420128190142228-0&module=shoes&action=sportsSearch&supercat=shoes&model_nbr=47371&sku=06983441&id=54408&mvp=sport&sport=all
Is’s called Nike Women’s Air Storm Moto.
So I was thinking maybe I need something different…

I’m worried with this foot of mine…it’s still a little swollen, and I’ve been doing bike and pool for 4 days now… :frowning: And my first indoor meet is Jan30.
I’ll see what the doc says on Monday.

By the way, this is what I’ve been doing the last days:

Wednesday: Normally, I’d have to jog 5 miles as a recovery day, but I went on the elliptical instead for 5 miles, which took me about 50minutes.
Then I did some weights.

Thursday: I went on the bike and did a 10 minute warm-up, and then did 7 or 8 sprints at 120rpm for a minute and a half at resistance 10, with two and a half minute recoveries at resistance 4, at about 85-90rpm.
That was a good workout. My heart rate went up to 165 during the sprints, and during recovery it was 105 at the beginning, and was around 130 towards the end.
The whole workout took me 40minutes to complete.
Then I did abbs.

Friday: I went on the elliptical again, for 50minutes (5miles), alternating the incline of the ramp every 10minutes between 9 and 20. I found the 9 worked my quads more, where the 20 was very good for high knees and hamstrings and calves.
My heart rate was up to 165 again.

Tomorrow morning I want to go in the pool and do some sprints.

I should now go ice this swollen foot of mine… :mad:

Sorry, the link is not working…
but if you go to www.eastbay.com, women’s footwear
gender/age: Women’s
brand: ALL
price range: leave it blank
My shoe is on the third page, right column, second from the bottom.

You know, I don’t know for sure if it’s the right solution. I just thought the Adidas Hyperspeed gave a lot of support for forefoot running. I just figured maybe the forefoot running was the cause.

Oh well, don’t know why but the only thing that concerns me right now is whether I should buy that cool Yamaha electronic keyboard I saw in a store or not. Gee, come to think of it, I have several hundred dollars in stocks that I’m not doing anything with. And I feel like selling those stocks and closing my account. I’ve had it with that nonsense. Blah, I find making decisions so odd sometimes.

I think learning how to play the piano is going to be my next project. Ever since some woman told me she’s getting married with another guy I feel like I’m going to start going insane if I don’t get a hobby.

Saturday

Pool: 7min warm up (running with the floating belt)
Then I took off the floating belt and did the following:
3 sets of these sprints: 60sec-30sec-30sec-60sec
(-)s were 1.5min rest, and between sets the rest was 2.5min.

Then 5 laps of kickboard.

Then sauna  :) 

I like pool workouts.

I’m miserable right now… :frowning:
Today I was diagnosed with an over-stress fracture (which I got last week), so I’ll be misising the whole indoor season. (My first meet would be this Friday…)

All I can do for the next 4-6 weeks is bike and pool.

If anyone knows any good pool and bike workouts that will keep up my conditioning and speed, PLEASE post it.

OMG! That sounds so extreme I feel like laughing. (Oops, sorry!)

Well, I heard “spinning” classes are good. Don’t know if they’re ideal though. Eliptical trainers are no impact. Try the “quick start” button and touch it twice to avoid touching buttons for five minutes to get going. The darn machines can even add resistance if you choose “fat burning mode” but are going “too fast”. It’s a pain in the butt.

Hey, if you have to do physiotherapy, you might get lucky and get a handsome male who’s very touchy, feely. :slight_smile: I had a female physio and had the impression she was doing on purpose to feel me up. I thought that was kind of cool to tell you the truth. Hahahah!!! :smiley:

For some reason, that’s not funny to me…

OK, I admit, I was REALLY stressed out when I saw the physio the first day. She even asked me why I looked stressed. I said it was because I thought it would take time for me to recover. (I didn’t mean to laugh at your injury. I think some people have different reactions to stressors.)

I’ve done a few pool workouts which were vv tough:
The only 1 i can remember is 5*30sec jogging/sprinting on the spot. If this is too easy try 45sec…
Hope this helps

Sorry to hear of your injury!!

Are you able to lift at all? Perform any olympic movements like the hangclean? You’ll need those to help maintain RFD.

Here are some examples of pool, bike and circuit workouts to at least help you maintain.

warmup, stretching then:

10 x 45 seconds sprinting in the pool either in the deep end or touching the bottom. (water up to your neck)

I would look at these 2-3 times a week as a recovery modality. Every week add a rep or two till you get to 2 x 9 x 45 seconds. (Take 30-45 seconds break between reps and 2 minutes between sets)

A’s and B’s in the water. (~20 per leg) as many sets as is comfortable.

This workout is hard but good. You’ll feel dead afterwards :slight_smile:

Bike sprints/weights
3-5 x 20 seconds bike sprints (As fast as you can at high resistance with 2-3 minutes of slow cycling in between) Repeat as necessary

3 sets hangcleans with 2 minutes rest (if you are able)

various lower body weights mostly assistance work
core work and med ball

1. Circuits (triples)

depending on your injury you can look at doing these for strength endurance.

example: (No rest within each triple. Rest between triples noted below)

3 x (squat jumps (20), pushups (40), situps(30) If you cant do bodyweight squat jumps on a mat just do bodyweight squats
2 minutes rest

3 x (burpees (20) floppy fish (20) lungewalk (8 per side)
2 minutes rest

3 x (chins(10), V-sits(30), Dips(20))
Finished

Again depending on the extent of your injury don’t perform anything too intense if it is going to set you back. Also you can sub in many exercises above. (stepups, med ball, etc)

With triples you get out of them what you put into them. I have done them and puked before. They are extremely demanding when performed hard.

The above should keep you fit and explosive while you recover. Doing the circuits on a good mat will also minimize the risk of irritating your injury.

Best of luck, I know it sucks but you’ll come back faster than before :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks a lot Cris!

Just a few questions: You said do pool workouts 2-3 times a week as recovery - how often should I do Bike sprints and how often Circuits?

A’s and B’s in the pool would have do be done touching the ground, right? If yes, then I can’t do that…it hurts to put any pressure on my right toes (fracture is in second meditorsal).

Is there anything to replace hanglean? Can’t do that.

Squat jumps are out of the question too. Push ups I’d have to do with one leg on top of the other - I’ll try it…

Could you kindly explain what burpees, floppy fish, V-sits and dips are? I really appreciate your help…

Lungewalks would be painful to do too.

If you have anything that could replace the stuff I can’t do,that would be great.
Thanks a lot!

No problem :slight_smile:

I thought for some reason your injury was to your shin.

I would do the A’s and B’s in the deep end while floating and possibly on one side of the pool. (one leg at a time)

I’ll post sub exercises later this morning for you.

I would do the bike twice a week, pool twice a week and circuits 1-2 times a week depending on how you feel.

I’ll write again later this morning/afternoon,

Chris

Is there anything to replace hanglean? Can’t do that.

• hmmm with your foot being injured I doubt you could perform any RFD work at the moment. Probably later though.

Squat jumps are out of the question too. Push ups I’d have to do with one leg on top of the other - I’ll try it…

• Do you think you could do squats without jumping at the end. Just fast down and up for more reps? (Say 30-40?)

Could you kindly explain what burpees, floppy fish, V-sits and dips are? I really appreciate your help…
Burpees you will likely not be able to do if you cant do squat jumps.

you start in a standing position, drop down, kick your legs back behind you, tuck them under you and then jump straight up.

Floppy fish:
Lie on your stomach raise left leg and right arm then repeat with opposite side

V-sits:
Lie on your back and then do a situp with your legs pretty straight and your hands going straight up. Kind of like a pike. It’s almost like folding yourself :slight_smile:

I would try just bodyweight squats for reps instead of squat jumps.

You can also sub in assistance weight work for your lower body. Leg extensions, ham curls etc

Here is a schedule you could try:
1 - Bike sprint/weights/Core
2 - Pool work
3 - Circuits
4 - Bike Sprint/weights/Core
5 - Pool work
6 - REST
7 - REST

Good luck with everything, if you have any further questions please ask.

Thanks a lot again!

No questions for now.

Yesterday night after classes I went to the gym and hopped on the bike. I had no idea what I was gonna do. Fist I cycled for about 20minutes, and then I started doing 20sec sprints at high resistance, with 40sec recoveries (easy cycling). I did about 12 of those. Then I cycled for another 10minutes. Then I still wanted to do something, so I hopped on the other bike (the one where you kinda lay back) and did a program with various hills for 15 minutes. Some of those hills brought my heart rate up, so I was pleased.

Today I went to the pool and did the workout Chris suggested:
I did 2945sec sprints, with 45sec recovery between reps and 2min between sets. It was a very good workout. As I keep doing these, I’ll bring the recovery down to 30sec.
Then I did A’s and B’s with the floating belt. B’s felt kinda awkward in the water.

Tomorrow I’ll either do bike sprints/weights/core or circuits. Then starting Monday I’ll follow the schedule Chris suggested.