Stefanie's journal

Good stuff! Best of luck with it!

Be sure to do a lot of lower body stretching after the bike work as it can sometimes make you tight.

Also 30 seconds rest is perfect in the pool work. I wasn’t sure what level you were at so I was conservative with the rest periods :slight_smile:

How does your foot feel? Any discomfort?

Chris

So far, on the bike and in the pool, the foot felt fine. As long as I don’t press on my toes on the bike and long use specific angles to push the water in the pool, I’m fine :slight_smile: .

Today would be my first indoor track meet :frowning:
Sooo painful, watching everyone else run…

How is the rehab going?

Cheers,
Chris

My rehab is putting this bone stimulator device on my foot every day for 20 minutes, which will make the bone heal faster. I also wear this flat-soled shoe for another week or so. I feel it getting better little by little…I just hope it doesn’t take more than 4 weeks (doc said 4-6 weeks). Anyways, I’m trying to be nice to it :wink:

Chis, I tried the Circuits yesterday, changing some of the stuff that I couldn’t do. What a workout! And I didn’t even do all the reps you wrote.
First of all, my jump squats were simply squats (I tried to come up quick and explosively though).
There’s no way I can do 40 push ups right now!! I did 20 each time, and that was still hard. I’ll work on it :wink:
Instead of burpees I did arm swings (30each) with 10lbs DBs, and instead of lungewalks I did superman stance for 1 minute. And instead of dips, I did butt raisers with the big bouncy ball (20 of them).
V-sits are impossible!! 30 of them?? I only could manage 15 each time… :stuck_out_tongue:

I have pleeeeently of room for improvement with these Circuits :slight_smile:

Today I started my regular schedule. I did the Bike sprints: 3 - 5*20sec. I just wasn’t clear on the recovery. You said 2-3 min slow cycling between. I assumed you ment between sets. Between reps, I had a 40sec recovery, is that ok? Should I try decreasing that as I keep getting better?

For weights, I superseted DB bench presses (3 sets of 12) with pull ups (3 sets), then superset 2 sets of 8 step ups (each leg - I did this carefully, cause I can’t push my right toes) with 2 sets of 12 curl and press.
Then 3 sets of 10 glut and ham raises (ouch for ham), and abbs…

Good stuff!! Those triples are tough aren’t they :slight_smile: V-sits are hard as well :slight_smile:

Yes sorry about that I meant 2-3 minutes between sets not reps on the bike sprints. Those subbed in exercises for the circuits sound great too!

You are going to be in GREAT shape when your foot heals!

Talk to you soon,
Chris

Pool work today went really well.
I did the 2 *(9 *45sec sprints), and this time my recovery between reps was cut down to 30seconds. I was still catching my breath before starting each rep, but I pulled through it :slight_smile:
After that I did 4 *20sec sprints with 40sec recoveries, cause I felt I should include some speed in as well. Those were piece of cake compared to the other ones… :wink:
Finally, A’s and B’s with floating belt. B’s don’t feel awkward any more in the water.

This isnt really relavant to anything, but where do yuo go to school?? I assume you are in college, correct??

I changed the workout order a tiny bit, so it could fit my schedule and social life :slight_smile:
Wednesday I did circuits as planned, but before that I did weights with a teammate. If I remember correctly, I did 3 sets of 12full squats, 2 supersets of chin ups and curl and press, 3 supersets of DB jerks and DB standing rows, 2 sets of 8 single leg hyper(each) and abbs.

Today instead of doing bike sprints, I did pool work with a friend. For warmup, I did 2 laps kick board, 6 easy 30sec sprints with 30sec rest between, and one more lap of kick board.
Then I did the 2*(9*45sec sprint) workout, followed by A’s and B’s for about 7 minutes.

Tomorrow I’ll do bike sprints followed by weights, and then another friend wants to go to the pool with me, so I’ll use that as my cool down recovery :slight_smile:

Looks good!

Cheers,
Chris

My bike workout went well. Some of my sprints were up to 137rpm. My slowest ones were 120rpm.
I did a ten min warm up, then 3520sec. At the last set, my heart rate went up to 185. I did a 10min cool down on the other bike (the laid back one), just to change it up a little.

My plan was to do weights after, but I really didn’t feel like it, plus, I already did weights twice this week… Pool also got cancelled, cause my friend overslept and didn’t show up, and I was practically going to keep her company, so I stretched and called it a morning.

Tomorrow I’m not doing anything, cause I’ll go watch my team compete at their second indoor meet, and I’ll be sitting there feeling jealous :frowning:
Oh well, everything happens for a reason. I hope there’s a good one behind this… :wink:

Today Monday: usual bike workout, but it was feeling very good, and I was going faster, (ave 130-135rpm), so I did another set of 5 sprints after the regular 3 for a total of 20 sprints. At the end, my heart rate was 180, when last week, it was 185.

So this is my question Chris, or anyone esle:
Since these are feeling better and a bit easier, should I increase the reps or sets, or move up from 20sec sprints with 40sec recoveries to 30sec sprints with 30sec recoveries?

For weights I did leg extensions, leg curls, leg press, back extension, incline press, calf raises and some sit ups and push ups.

Tomorrow pool. I’ll try something different this time - I don’t know what yet :slight_smile:

As I said yesterday I would do, I tried something different in the pool:

2 sets of :
2min(1min rest) - 1.5min(1min rest) - 1min(1min rest) - 30sec(30sec rest) - 30sec(30sec rest) - 1min(1min rest) - 1.5min(1min rest) - 2min
2 minutes rest before the second set

A’s and B’s

Great job on the workouts!

I have a question is your main event the 400?

If so you can go up to 60 seconds in your sprints if you can handle it. (Work up slowly)

I would increase the duration of the sprints gradually while keeping the rest same at first. Then as you get stronger you can lower the rest periods. go up in intensity say 5-10 seconds a week.

How is the foot feeling?

cheers,
Chris

Yes it is,
so I will try increasing the duration of the sprints. I’ll move up to 30sec per sprint next time :slight_smile: and eventually i’ll get to 60sec, unless my foot heals before that and i can get back to the track :smiley: …finally…it should be another 2 weeks at least.
It’s feeling ok, thanks for asking, I just have to remember to be nice to it and not walk a lot, which I sometimes forget. It’s getting there…

Good stuff, I think you are on the right track. You will also be very fit when finished :slight_smile:

Dont forget the triples :slight_smile:

I did the triplets this morning and i’m imroving on some stuff :slight_smile:

I added a little jump in the squats, being careful about my foot. That burnt my quads - I haven’t jumped in two weeks…but I was glad I could add that jump and not hurt my foot.
And V-sits, I did 20 each time, where previously I could only handle 15 :slight_smile:

I went to the weight room too and did some squats (3 sets of 10), DB jerks, single leg squats and lingle leg hypers. I’m also going to lift tonight a little bit with my coach and some other teammates - we’re doing arms.

It works better for me to do pool on Thursdays, so Friday I will be doing the bike work. I could do pool on Friday too, after biking.

But today in the pool, I did 820sec sprints with 40sec recovery and 5 laps kick board (one lap is back and forth) with some teammates. The kickboard really worked my quads.
Then they left, and I did 8
60sec sprints with 30sec recovery.
And A’s and B’s for about 10min.

I think I’m losing some calf muscle from not being able to run. That’s the only muscle I’m worried about. I run and walk on my toes, which always gave me very strong calves… but now I can’t step on my right toes, or else it hurts…
Any ideas how to keep them strong?
Thanks!

I’d be vary wary of doing too many calf raises etc in case it tightens them up - I never had any trouble with mine until I did them a few years back

I’m not sure what to suggest Stef

I remember reading you said your training was a mix of what you chose to do and what your coach suggested. I tried doing more than my coach suggested and that’s when I got burned and quit when I was younger.

Now, you say your teamates left the pool and you kept on training. I don’t know if you’re doing more than is recommended so I’ll only say that if it is the case, you may not obtain the best results by doing that. (I can only assume what is going on since I don’t know every detail of your situation.)

She cant run with her team due to an injury so everything she is doing is off track and involving no running at all until her foot gets better.

Cheers,
Chris