Start/Accel questions

After reading the periodization chapter in the CFTS, I know under this system the start/accel (0-30m) is trained/emphasized first and later maintained. My questions are as follows:

1. Even though I am emphasizing the start/accel of the sprint how much work (if any at all) should be done in the Max Speed range? Speed Endurance?

2. How much recovery should I allocate between reps in the Accel range? Max Speed? Speed Endurance?

3. Could someone post some sample training sessions (speed) during this phase so I may see distances/volume/intensity/recovery etc.

Thanks

To answer your questions:

1. Even though I am emphasizing the start/accel of the sprint how much work (if any at all) should be done in the Max Speed range? Speed Endurance?

You must first set a goal. Without setting a training goal, there is no relavence to any advice anyone here can give you. What is your goal? Your current level of performance?

1. How much recovery should I allocate between reps in the Accel range? Max Speed? Speed Endurance?

This is a tricky question because once again, the answer depends on your goals. Generally speaking, speed endurance sprints will have shorter rest periods, say 1-3 minutes depending on the distance. If your goal is to build great levels of top speed and acceleration you may want to take 10 min to full rest periods to ensure your energy systems have recovered. If you have a properly formed base, these rest periods may be slightly shorter, maybe 8-12 min.

1. Could someone post some sample training sessions (speed) during this phase so I may see distances/volume/intensity/recovery etc.

Search the forum, there is a mass of info on here. I can tell you havent searched the forum because these are very general newbie questions. This forum is very unique, in that you will learn more from reading and observation than asking questions. Do searches, you will find enough to write several books and encyclopedias. Hope this helps…

sample session for phase 1

2x50m relaxed strides
2x30 standing
4-6X30blocks
6-8X60m

try recovering for 1min for every 10m u run.

Thanks for the answers guys. Velo, yeah I know they are some basic questions however I have no experience in training for track and some of the information can be rather overwhelming. I guess I just want to know everything/get started right away. While I havn’t done many searches I have been studing a lot of the training journals here on the site. As for my goals right now they are learn, increase GPP, decrease BF% and work on starts/accel. Thanks for all the help, I’ll keep searching!

Good place to start is the CFTS E-Book… You will learn quite a bit from that, then you will know where to begin once you grasp the basics! But search, search, read, and read some more on the forums too…