Stability Balls & Resistance Training

Just which one of those “things” does Herb have in his basement???

TNT

What are you asking me for??!

Eric Cressey is supposed to have his 2-year project on UST vs. ST (Unstable Surface Training vs. Stable Training) in the NSCA Journal soon and his results were significant. He shared them with everyone at the “Be Athletic Sports Performance Symposium” in Worcester, MA last December.

The analogy I have always used (in regards to overusing the Swiss Ball/unstable surfaces) is it’s like teaching a race car driver to drive in the rain. It just doesn’t compare to the speed/control needed for competition. Yes, it may have some positive effect considering the difficulty, but neither the speed or control displayed can be considered performance enhancing. Maybe if you have to practice your kicks with Mr. Miyagi in a rowboat!!

The other issues are if you’re getting the mechanics you want out of the drill. I see people jump onto a disc or rocker board and they immediately display the same compensation pattern (pronation/supination, hip external rotation, etc.) that they display on the ground. Until that’s fixed, you’re spinning your wheels and flying blind.

Forget everything I said!! Goodness!!

guys guys why are u beating up on the stability balls they have a lot of practical uses. i like to use them as furniture, perfect for a college student that cant afford a couch. i really like reading my texts wile layed out on the thing. its also fun to get drunk and see who can sit on one the longest.

You need to review the film again to focus on the proper use of these things- especially at college!

I love college.

:slight_smile:

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

thats all fine and good but i perfer a stable surface when… im doing what i do. if i wanted to be with a woman in a dangerous situation ill just have sex while driving like a normal person.

Bummer! The video is down!
It’s back! Never mind!

james where your sense of adventure :smiley:

also herb great spotting indeed.

That’s what happens when you stare at things for too long:)