Squatting Technique

Ever since my junior year of high school I have been squatting with a relatively low bar position. I have been able to get very strong doing it in this manner (over 500 on the squat). Recently though, I have been contemplating shifting to more of a high bar “olympic” squat. Depth hasn’t been the issue, I go past parallel with the low bar as well. I see a few advantages and a few disadvantages with shifting to an Olympic style squat.

Advantages:

1. More ROM involved
  2. Works the entire leg musculature to a greater degree
  3. Safer for the short term (I cannot lift as much Olympic style as I can low-bar)
  4. More room for improvement
  5. Safer for lower back

Disadvantages:

1. The load lifted is less than that of low bar
  2. Places more emphasis on quad development, which can become an issue over time

Thoughts?

high bar position is better athletes.

All things in time and place my friend. Use them both! Your pros and cons are essentially all pros in my estimation.

I recently switched to a high bar olympic stance from a low bar wide stance and I am running like crap. I’m sure there are other factors but it’s not very reassuring. I prefer low bar because of the improved posterior chain activity.

Also, I don’t know if it’s safer for the low back. Alot of people’s backs round when they go deep olympic squat.

trust me something soo simple is not the reason u r running slow right now.

I would just do both and switch it up every now and then. Weights are a general training means so a manta ray here, a low bar there, a safety squat bar here, etc…all these variations are only one piece of the puzzle. A very small piece at that, of the already general weights component.

You’re a beast anyways so you seem to be doing something right.

Does BigJohn reccomend any of these?

He teaches the high bar position but has no problem with the low bar position. After all, he did spend some time with Louie in the past