Sprinting

I have never really sprinted before, my sport is brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Due to the high gas prices I can not afford to train for a long awhile, so, I have been doing home grappling drills and strength training (using Ian King ideology).

My question:

If I’m only sprinting twice a week for a-lactic and lactic power/threshold, running between 600-1000 meters a week. Is there point investing money in technique videos? Or could someone write me a technique workout?

Nathan

If you are purely using sprinting for conditioning as opposed to developing speed I don’t think you need technique videos etc. In terms of a specific programme, you would probably have to give a little more infomration in terms of where it fits in with everything else.

Your flexibility, core, and muscular endurance should be excellent if you do a lot of BJJ - Grappling is exhausting!

First place to look would be Youtube IMO. Watch some of the greats and that’ll give you a good idea of form. There are lots of drills to be found through google as well.

There is an MMA thread on here BTW… sure you’ll be interested.

How long have you been doing BBJ?

Skipping 3 minutes rounds + body weight exercises is good conditioning for BJJ.

I started training in 2002, however, i got into the Gi in 2006. (you can subtract 2 years for injuries, “MCL, C3, mutli concussions”)

I know how to create workouts for energy system training, I was just wondering if it’s useful to learn the real sprinting techniques…it’s quite fun when you have 3-5 guys all racing against each other.

As stated earlier; it’s not a requirement since you’re not competing in athletics, simply getting into “shape”. If you want to your more than welcome to learn the technique, seeing that it would help you in your running workouts as far as efficiency goes. But to answer your question if I were you I would not worry too much about it. But hey you can always do it just for fun and so you look good doing it.:smiley:

Hey, I brazilian jiujitsu as well :slight_smile: , just not at the moment (I participated in the NAGA North America tourney and got 3rd, fun times !!)

Anyway!!

I have a friend in the States who’s into this stuff a lot more seriously (MMA), and he used to sprint carrying a bag of sand, do burpees for breaks, and crazy things like that…

In the spirit of Charlie Francis methods though, I think it’s safe to substitute that kind of insanity with hill runs :slight_smile: and they’re great for technique development, to start with, and very fun for group training… Then when you step on the track it feels effortless.