Sprinting Naturally: Are Sprinting Technique Cues Really Necessary?

Ok I can understand that…I can honestly say that I tend to over analyze and all of those problems you just named describes me very well lol…I would reach for the ground/next stride, then I would try to hard and push as hard as possible which resulted in alot fo back kick, and I would consciously lift my knees which would cause my stride rate to decline…So in short I HAVE PROBLEMS LOL :-)…When I just focus on running with a natural and under control stride(not to much pushing/back kick and no reaching for an increased stride) I run faster and more consistently…What is digging?

I guess digging is a combo of reaching and trying too hard and pushing down. It is a function once again of many things. Mostly trying to hard and not relaxing.
Have you seen any of the running footage from our store? For example GPP?

Yes I purchased it last year but I don’t think it was the right purchase for me…I would have like to see more examples of good and bad technique.

So you would like to see examples of bad technique compared to good technique? And perhaps discussions that go along with this?
thanks for your feedback.

the other practical ones have that and Charlie correcting them via drills and other things. VERY useful.

Ange are you able to say who that was in the GPP DVD with you and her level of performance? My understanding is it isn’t you doing the EFE, FEF, tempo etc but is you doing the hurdle and other stuff. Correct?

Personally I find watching elite level athletes and trying to recreate that helpful. IMHO rhythm in athletic performance is really interesting and important sometimes just getting that right can make a huge difference.

Yes that’s exactly what I’m saying. I would like to see more of a distinction between good and bad technique. Thanks for your responses :slight_smile:

So practical sessions should be my next purchase?

it depends what you want (and that isn’t me avoiding the question) but certainly I found them useful to take stuff to the track and I use info from the every session… mind you I can’t think of a CF product that hasn’t been in some way.

ok i can understand that…I just want to see some examples of good vs. bad(not so good technique)

Are there any downloads like this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Qavd0BskA

man the dude in the vid talks way too damn much lol

also I didn’t like his explanation of trying to ‘flick’ your heal up, however, is explanation of dorsi and general technique wasn’t bad

Were lucky at the mo in the UK, there is a lot of courses and lectures for sprints coaches with a lot of downloads and vid’s to enable coaches like myself understand not only what the ‘technique’ should be but also how to teach the progressions.

which reminds me I still need to get hold of a few of the downloads from this site lol

lol he does talk to much and I don’t like the flick your heel quote either…It should be more like there is a rubber band attached from your ankle to the insertion point where your glutes and hamstrings meet.

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?21222-Practical-Session-1-Basic-Running-Mechanics

ok thanks John

It once more gets back to the first forum hind brain vs fore brain discussion…
So taking one step further how do we move from (relatively slow) fore brain actions to (fast) hind brain patterns? And what makes us stay there,in the end?

Your system has been by design of the British Federation who a few years ago hired one of Charlie’s former athelete’s ( worked with Charlie pre 1988) away from a successful program in Edmonton Alberta. The Canadian Federation were not providing ample funds or support or interest for this coach. Post 1988 this person worked closely on several occassions with Charlie going through training and coaching and trouble shooting. The coach then hired another key person ( from this site ) recommended by Charlie directly. None of this has been an accident.

The heel flicking cue is weird. I try to get into dorsi flexion out the gate. I have noticed in the past weeks of training that by doing this it becomes locked in and I dont have to even worry about it during transition. Once im am up and running tall the dorsi plus the knee lift automatically stops me from have the backside mechanics. MY cues are make first two arm pumps explosive out the blocks and dorsiflex. After the drive phase I gradually get taller and then i start to march.

I like that way of thinking. I just pick my foot up and put it back down. I guess I have focused on the step over the knee drive down cue so long that it is starting to become automatic.

A great deal too much information in this 12minute clip.
This coach means well. He is no doubt better than many.
Way too many ques as well and I don’t think I found one that made any sense what so ever.
I am trying to understand how the heck the athlete or anyone keeps track of those ques.
Proper drills are intended to put the learning as an invisible quality. If too much thinking goes on this is where coaches and the athletes run into problems.