Sprinting Naturally: Are Sprinting Technique Cues Really Necessary?

LOL that is so true…I’m 21 and I can honestly say the last time I saw one of those was when I was 12 Lmao!..I wonder why most athletes including myself tend to reach?

Luckily in Tassie we still have telephone booths, rare but they are still around.

The smiling cue is just that. You smile. It is my way I trying to get to relax as you can’t smile if you are tense.

True…I would laugh at one of my team mates in high school because he would smile when he ran lol but he did run a 10.4…So :slight_smile:

For a demonstration of the smiling cue see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWzAaydIJcA (4:37 min).

Izzle1989
Some athletes tend to reach but others might push or dig. I used to do all of it at various stages of my development.
Initially I reached.
When I tried too hard I was digging.
When I had more power and was getting fast ( and impatient) I used to push. Oh man how I used to love to push. ( laughing at myself on this)
This progression had to do with where I was at with my training and my experience. Charlie used to say the goal was to put the athlete in a situation where very little thinking was required. This is the idea behind all the explosive medicine ball drills, power speed ( done correctly) and other training principles. Practicing drills repeatedly that set you up to succeed in the correct way for your body type.
You are asking very good questions.

Ok I can understand that…I can honestly say that I tend to over analyze and all of those problems you just named describes me very well lol…I would reach for the ground/next stride, then I would try to hard and push as hard as possible which resulted in alot fo back kick, and I would consciously lift my knees which would cause my stride rate to decline…So in short I HAVE PROBLEMS LOL :-)…When I just focus on running with a natural and under control stride(not to much pushing/back kick and no reaching for an increased stride) I run faster and more consistently…What is digging?

I guess digging is a combo of reaching and trying too hard and pushing down. It is a function once again of many things. Mostly trying to hard and not relaxing.
Have you seen any of the running footage from our store? For example GPP?

Yes I purchased it last year but I don’t think it was the right purchase for me…I would have like to see more examples of good and bad technique.

So you would like to see examples of bad technique compared to good technique? And perhaps discussions that go along with this?
thanks for your feedback.

the other practical ones have that and Charlie correcting them via drills and other things. VERY useful.

Ange are you able to say who that was in the GPP DVD with you and her level of performance? My understanding is it isn’t you doing the EFE, FEF, tempo etc but is you doing the hurdle and other stuff. Correct?

Personally I find watching elite level athletes and trying to recreate that helpful. IMHO rhythm in athletic performance is really interesting and important sometimes just getting that right can make a huge difference.

Yes that’s exactly what I’m saying. I would like to see more of a distinction between good and bad technique. Thanks for your responses :slight_smile:

So practical sessions should be my next purchase?

it depends what you want (and that isn’t me avoiding the question) but certainly I found them useful to take stuff to the track and I use info from the every session… mind you I can’t think of a CF product that hasn’t been in some way.

ok i can understand that…I just want to see some examples of good vs. bad(not so good technique)

Are there any downloads like this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Qavd0BskA

man the dude in the vid talks way too damn much lol

also I didn’t like his explanation of trying to ‘flick’ your heal up, however, is explanation of dorsi and general technique wasn’t bad

Were lucky at the mo in the UK, there is a lot of courses and lectures for sprints coaches with a lot of downloads and vid’s to enable coaches like myself understand not only what the ‘technique’ should be but also how to teach the progressions.

which reminds me I still need to get hold of a few of the downloads from this site lol

lol he does talk to much and I don’t like the flick your heel quote either…It should be more like there is a rubber band attached from your ankle to the insertion point where your glutes and hamstrings meet.

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?21222-Practical-Session-1-Basic-Running-Mechanics

ok thanks John