spp2 advice

The set up with the SPP2 is confusing me.Is it done with building up by 10m each week ie wk1 3x70m,wk2 3x80m etc with full recovery or is it done with split runs ie wki 2x3x70m,wkt 2x3x80m etc with incomplete recoveries. Any advice woulkd be greatly appreciated.

you wont get any help if you keep posting the same stuff all over the board.

thanks,thats a big help

You can do many different things - all of which are correct. Look at the long to short for examples of progressions and the CFTS has some workouts which give examples of SPP2 progressins as well. You could do 60, 80, 100 > 80, 100, 120 etc but you need to account for the change in volume and intensity with these methods. I’m working on some information that will clarify it but it takes me time as i have a full time job etc!

keep an eye on the total volume of speed
if you have been doing say 400m day of speed work during spp1 and that went well,
keep the lid on 400m in spp2. If your now doing 120s instead of 60’s, then you have to basically cut the number of reps performed in half. Easy as.
Look at things like how far you accelerate out too in each rep - the further you acc out to the harder and more recovery is needed
As TC says, you can grow your efforts in whatever means you want, there is no right or wrong way. I have found growing them out by 10m as you get used to it seemed to work well.

Good advice bold (and TC).

There were a couple of active threads about 1 year ago when Charlie wrote about some of this, also some in CFTS and Vanc04.

Charlie said that if you are coming from the type of SPP1 given in Vanc04 where you are doing things like 3X4X60 or 4X4X60 for SE and maybe 4X60 with long rest for speed, you take a week off after indoor season, then you move up to 2X3X80 (rests 7-8 min/15 min) and maybe 3X80 with 15 min (or flying sprints) for speed. The 80’s start the true alactic work, so the rest periods are significantly longer. You stay with the 2X3X80 for a couple or a few weeks before moving up to 100’s and 120’s (not more than 3-4 reps/session with long rest).

I actually did this last year, where the workouts in the 3-1-3 for SPP2 were 3X3X80 and 3X70, then moving to 3X120 and 3X80 during precomp. What I learned was that I wasn’t able to get my speed endurance in line with speed until Phase 3, and by then I had essentially run out of races to run in. So this year I moved to start the longer SE earlier and have some special endurance in Phase 2. The 3X3X80 actually came during precomp (tapering) for indoors this year, moving to 30+3X100 during indoor comp (see CFTS about indoor), then up to 120 during GPP2 (only 2 weeks in length per CF), and I have workouts with reps as long as 4X150 and John Smith’s 300-200-100 during SPP2, and this seems to be working much better.

When you can move to 2X3X80 is going to depend on your training age and the type of prep work you have done. You don’t move up in length until you can maintain the pace of the SE work, but you want to move up to the true speed endurance (80-120 or 150 with long rest) as soon as you are able to handle it. The sooner you can get there, the more likely you will be able to hold together the last 30 meters of your 100 before the end of the season.

One more point here is what Charlie has said about pulling back weights to provide for speed endurance. The weight sessions are pulled back to just 2X6 during SPP, and the reduced load in the gym allows for more load available at the track.

what if you are working on accels on april and your last race is in late august, would that give me enough time to get good speed endurance in relation to my speed for SPP2 or 3 till then? I dont quite understand SPP2 or 3 anyways hehehe. I figured add the speed volumes slowly over the weeks from a 3-1-3 cycle starting with accels then moving to higher speeds after 6-8 weeks. Then hit more maxv training like ins and outs, flying runs and start to introduce more speed endurance runs like the 2x3x80m with long rests. After that for a few weeks put more effort into the speed endurance sessions. Now my question is in changing the volume and intensity. How do i go about doing that for the 2x3x80m scheme? Do i do it for an extra 2-3 weeks or every week change it to 3x3x80m then 3x4x80m finally to a 4x4x80m and after that move onto 120s and 150s? Im trying to completely understand the transition so im not missing anything.

lkh you said…

“When you can move to 2X3X80 is going to depend on your training age and the type of prep work you have done. You don’t move up in length until you can maintain the pace of the SE work, but you want to move up to the true speed endurance (80-120 or 150 with long rest) as soon as you are able to handle it. The sooner you can get there, the more likely you will be able to hold together the last 30 meters of your 100 before the end of the season.”

my response to this is, how do you know when you can maintain the speeds to pursue speed endurance? Do you go by the clock time and see if your performance has increased in the acceleration phases? Or when you see that your form is not breakin down as badly as before when you were not in shape?