[sports science] Asafa Powell

There are still certain attributes that are governed by physics that you need to look at. Dix is a very powerful athlete, but he is far from consistent; perhaps technique is where he could benefit.

The part with tyson was shot in orlando (clermont) at the national training center where he trains at now.

Oh shit, in part two the first scene with asafa that good looking guy in the gray shirt behind him is yours truly!

wow that’s trippy. i’m guessing you’re just bout to take the picture of asafa with his hands on his head? did anyone else think his lats looked HUGE in that video?

I certainly get sore shins as a result of pronation, as do many of my training partners. The soreness is on the inside of the shin however, in the soleus rather than the tib.

I’d bet that it has more to do with surrounding muscular structures rather than the fact you pronate. Pronating is a good thing when it comes to force absorption and thus, ailments such as shin splints. It gives your body more time to absorb the impact of the ground. Trust me, coming from a supinator, you are much better off pronating than supinating when it comes to shin splints.

What ever happened to the translation?

I was asking myself the same question…:mad:

My Japanese speaking friend has been very busy with translation assignments (she works with government officials and other important folk)…I’ll get onto her via msn to find out what the status is…apologies…:o

bumped into this the other day

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h4kdv0

it’s a french dubbed version of the show, so i thought it would be better than japanese :slight_smile: .
the early morning hills part is missing though.

Isn’t it the same? French, Japanese…do not understand it anyway. Do we have it in some other exotic language? :slight_smile:

well english would be just too easy, no fun :stuck_out_tongue:
and some of us understand a little french.

i really need 1 in enhlish PLEASEEEEEE
AND are there any bolt training videos?

He might use orthotics in his spikes but it is unlikely. There are some materials that could be effective BUT its unlikely that these would be used as the more rigid orthotics are rarely prescribed for sports people-they are usually given a similar device called a formthotic by podiatrists.

Regarding the pain from pronating-pronating is natural and shock absrobant BUT OVERpronating is not. There are numerous causes of this ranging from deformities of the foot to tortion of the tibia or femur. Pronation is altered in sprinting however as there is no heel strike or shouldn’t be which changes the mechanics of gait and the foot. This lack of heel strike is another reason that orthotics would probably not be used in his spikes.

Shin splints are a general term used to describe a number of conditions from compartment syndrome to stress fractures of the tibia so can be suffered by any type of foot for a myriad of reasons some of which would not be related to pathomechanics of the foot (if your pain is medial and not posterior and you are a pronator it is probably your tibialis posterior rather than your soleus and if it is lateral and not the tibialis anterior and in a supinator it might be the peroneals-if they are muscular causes that is). In general for sprinters being a supinator would probably be worse as normal gait uses your big toe for a large portion of propulsion and force transfer and the fact that this is minimal or nonexistant in supinators who toe-off from the lateral side of their foot is more detrimental than excessive pronation.

Sorry for the long post but as a coach/student(studying podiatry and kinesiology) I thought it might help a bit

Are you saying all supinators toe-off from the lateral side or their are certain supinators who do this?

Unless there are different types of supinators that I’m not aware of, then being a supinator is a 100% positive thing for sprinting. A pronator spends more time on the ground (this is why they are better at deceleration/absorption) than does a supinator. When a supinator hits the ground they are already into the push off phase, this isn’t true of a pronator. This is a postive in sprinting. Supinators also (unless there are some how different types) make great use of their big toe (medial side of the foot). This is where many get blisters/callouses due to using the big-toe so much. I supinate myself and can tell you my big toe takes way more of a beating than any of my other toes. The blood blisters and insane sized callouses are proof enough. Pronators and supinators push off the same way, they both supinate. So, yes, in the end phase of the foot cycle they are BOTH pushing off with the lateral portion of their foot. They just don’t contact the ground the same way.

I over simplified in my previous post-I apologise. Everyone’s foot is slightly different as are the mechanics. As a generalisation(which is what all of my comments have been unfortunately-there is little that can be speculated outside of a generalisation without specific analysis) the reasons for the big toe getting a beating and developing callous and blister is probably due to shear forces on it-it is uncommon for compression to cause these. My understanding is that the big toe is still used but it is not used ‘normally’. In ‘normal’ gait all toes are active in toe off but the big toe is where most force is transferred through and the toe off is done anteriorly or anterio-medially. In over pronation it is slightly more anterio-medially. In supinators in general my understanding is that this is not the case. They still toe off through all their toes but there is more emphasis on the lateral toes and this the big toe cannot be the rigid beam and transfer as much force. With regards to sprinting and the supinator vs. pronator arguement I think foot mechanics is only a small part but the debate seems to mirror one of sprinters with a slower turnover and more power vs. ones with less power and a quicker turnover(however this is again an oversimplification)

With regards to the advantages of supination in sprinting-the reduced contact time would definately be one, the increased contact time you talk of in a pronator is the time for overpronators to resupinate to prepare for toe off but again this is subject to change depending on the cause of the overpronation. I’m not sure about the supinators being ready for toe off straight away-again it is probably an individual thing. I think you are refering to the locking of the mid foot onto the rearfoot(which is why pronators need to resupinate)??