spine curve/orthopedics/arm mechanics/leg recovery questions

how important is it to see a chiropractor?
I think that my spine my be uncurved at the bottom where its supposed to be curved in and that my hips might be tilted forwards too. I think it is from sitting on the computer for long, long times.

I just started track about 3 months ago and i saw a video of myself running and it looked like during my recovery my leg was getting triple extension, except it was too much downward and not enuf backward force. Also my leg swinging back up over my support knee in recovery cycle occured in front of my support leg as it drove up and my knee drive was huge and very high.

These observations are what led me to the conclusion that my spine is curved and my hips are tilted forward, i also theorized that this is causing me to land ahead of COM which is causing some braking.

And i also noticed sometimes when i run really fast and tall on hard surfaces that i make a lot of noise with my feet when running (feet slapping on ground), i think its cuz i am releasing my dorsiflexion a bit too early cuz my legs are too high from tilted forward hips, and since my feet havent quite hit the ground yet when i release dorsiflexion, my foot slaps ground before i spring off.

One more thing i noticed on my video was that my arms are too low and they seem kinda stiff in the 90 degree position, and they definitely do not drive back far enuf, how can i work to improve my arm mechanics so that they look more fluent and natural?

oh yeah, and i had very bad shin splints but they went away now, but i think i have slightly fallen arches, should i get orthopedics to fix this problem, does it help alot?

Btw i’ve been reading ur boards alot in the 3 months since i started tracj, even on the old forums, but i just never posted becuz i am no where near the level of sprinter that some of you are or coach, although i do have the genetics to become a great sprinter… :wink: anyway plz help me out, thx

ps i have alot of trouble with b-skip, any pointers?

yeah that could be the problem sharmer, cuz whenever i do b skips my coach tells to pull my leg down faster and i try but i can’t seem to do it as fast as other more experienced athletes in my club. Thx for the tip, any suggestions for increasing hamstring strength? i’ve been doing leg swings and straight leg deadlifts now and i cut out the ham curls cuz i read that they bad for sprinting. Any other ideas?

If you have the money, it would be well worth your while to see a chiropractor.
Simmilarly, I have some idiosyncracies to my posture. I went to see a chiropracter the other weak and he told me I would need 12 sessions, 1 per weak at £28(english) a session. This would run concurrently with the odd physio session.
Well, when I’ve got my new business fully up and running etc, I will be getting back in touch with M.r. chiropracter.
Look at Michael Jordan, Mohammed Ali, Carl Lewis (in their prime), hell any great athlete. Much of that grace comes from freedom of movement allowed perhaps firstly by the skeletal alignment, followed closely by the muscle situation. The chiropracter explained to me that physio/muscle work won’t allways cure the underlying problem, e.g skeletal miss alighnment) and of course is often the RESULT of the underlying problem. You said you’re pretty much concerned with your postural alighnment, so a chiropracter is well worth your while.

wow, over 30 people have viewed this thread and only one reply…i guess i was right to not post before… :frowning:

I just started track about 3 months ago and i saw a video of myself running and it looked like during my recovery my leg was getting triple extension, except it was too much downward and not enuf backward force. Also my leg swinging back up over my support knee in recovery cycle occured in front of my support leg as it drove up and my knee drive was huge and very high.

These observations are what led me to the conclusion that my spine is curved and my hips are tilted forward, i also theorized that this is causing me to land ahead of COM which is causing some braking

Newtrackman,

Having the hips slightly tilted forward is a advantage allowing for greater acceleration of the swing leg. Everyone lands ahead of the COM, even Micheal Johnson contacted slightly ahead of the COM. Having the hips tilted forward doesnt cause footstrike further ahead of the swing leg, breaking is function of slow recovery or a inability of the swing leg to accelerate fast enough to land close to COM. Increase Hamstring/hip strength will increase the force’s applied to the swing leg this increases the acceleration of the swing leg allowing for a closer breaking point.