speed and work and time of day

speed and work and time of day, what time of day should speed work be performed. I like to do it before sunset in the evening. What’s the best time to do it is it individaul. Also can you do speed work after you just got up or a couple of hours after you got up.

Most people would like to train at 2:30/3:00 in the afternoon right? (Depends on their schedule too) Also I would wait at least five hours after waking before performing any speedwork. I tried to do it once in the moring and left after my warmup!

I do speedwork from 0600 - 0700,
Weights from 0700-0845

alot of people as my man no23 said trains during 12-3pm.the SMTC guys would train from that period because the temp would be high thus making it easier to warm up and burn extra bf at the same time.there are other advantages to training during this time as the rest of the guys will explain

I love doing all workouts first thing in the morning when I have no stress on my mind from the day and I am just fresh and ready to go. When I began training on my own during the summer I was arriving at the track between 6-7 in the morning and it was great. It was only about 80 degrees out with a nice cool breeze. I used my Korn mix tape along with Disturbed and Adema to wake my mind up on the bus ride there. When I first got there of course I would have rather been sleeping, but when I started running it felt great.

conclusion - my personal preference is FIRST thing in the morning.

P.S. - That might also have something to do with the fact that it is at about 110 degrees out at 2-3 in the afternoon. But my GPP workouts will be run at about that time right after school…so it’s time to adapt.

I have tried to do speed work first thing in the morning but it takes forever to warmup and I always feel flat (I find weights OK in the morning though).

Mid afternoon would be ideal but I have to settle for about 7:30pm after work.

I perfer to do somewhere between 11 and 2 pm

But I do weights at 7am and track work at 6pm.

i wake up bright and early in the morning.
i start between 6:30 and 7:00am
I am from new orleans so about 7:00 it is starting to feel warm already and by 10:00am it is already nice and hot!!!

GOT TO LOVE THE SOUTH!!!:devil:

Originally posted by worldclass
GOT TO LOVE THE SOUTH (west)!!!:devil:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Speed work and weights in the pm…unless it general strength and tempo, or core work.

I can’t even tie my shoelaces b4 noon - after that I still need help :stuck_out_tongue:

Ideally I would regard training before 11 or 12 as not ideal.

I would like to train later in the day but I find early suits me for a number of reasons…

Reasons for Training first thing in the morning

1. I have a job
  2. I get the most important things in my life or day done first - everything else can wait.
  3. Once it’s done the temptation to skip it isn’t there.
  4. if you miss it early in the dya you can catch it and make time in the afternoon.
  5. Only the heavy ugly birds are in the gym in the mornings.
  6. If there is a hottie in the gym you can talk to her and make a better impression in a nicer quieter environment in the morning rather than the evening when all the thugs are out lifting trying to impress.
  7. Concetration levels are better first thing in the morning.
  8. Pre-training supplementation is better on an empty stomach allowing better absorption of supp.s such as L-cartinine etc.
  9. Apparently fat mobilisation is best first thing in the morning.
  10. There is nothing but you and your goal out on the track or in the gym at that hour so focus is maximised and distraction minimised.
  11. Air is cleanest - not an insignificant issue in some parts.
  12. Summer mornings are beautiful and quiet and peaceful and poetic and stuff

Problems with it:

1. It may be dark, light is necessary.
  2. Warming Up must be extensive
  3. Cold mornings and poor weather leave training hard.
  4. It may be lonely.
  5. You have to get up out of bed
  6. Winter
  • CNS activation is low
  • Body is ’ tight’ in early morning

I totally agree with a lot of no23’s reasons for training in the mornings. I personally love it because I am a morning person in some aspects. Once I wake up, I’m up, so why not go and get my training done so I have the rest of the day to myself? You guys live in colder areas so you guys do need to warm up more and you also need lights while here in AZ the sun is up @ 5 in the morning, down at 8 at night, and at 5 or 6 in the morning it is already perfect track weather…about 80 degrees out, even on days that hit 110.

My 2 cents again.

Posted by no.23

1. If there is a hottie in the gym you can talk to her and make a better impression in a nicer quieter environment in the morning rather than the evening when all the thugs are out lifting trying to impress.

Agreed.