Special Endurance Workout Design...simple Q

I’m curious to know whether members go up or down within an SE session? In otherwords 80, 100, 120, 150 or 150, 120, 100, 80? Simple question maybe to most. But it does have an impact on performance. Also, how do YOU determine which way you go.

Thanks for you patience :slight_smile:

In that session (SE1) I’d go up but in SE2 I’d go down, ie 300, 250 or something like that.

I’m curious what the reasons are behind those two routes?

SE1 u want to hit the shorter runs first so they can be faster. SE2 hit the longer runs first bc they are tougher and the focus is also diff with SE2

It depends on the athlete too, in a workout like 80, 100, 120, 150 you need to have a highly motivated athlete in top shape, if not, he will unconsciensly not give 100% for the first two reps.

not me ill be more pump for the 80 and 100, shorter the distance the more pump i get. lol

The “rule” is what Charlie says. But PJ’s point is also correct. In either set of distances it may be the case that a different order could achieve the results you want (e.g., coming down the distance in SE1 ending with the shortest one even for psychological reasons). In other words, you can target a specific distance either way in certain cases provided the session is set accordingly.
RandyG, simpe is good! :slight_smile:

Little out of topic.

One kid asked me, when we were doing 10-20-30m hill sprints, why we do it in that order? I responded due velocity reached… it is easier to do 10 than 20, because in 20m you reach more velocity and thus greater “intensity”… But to be honest I still don’t know is that the answer… Why not in reversed order? Thanks

Looking at the posts (thank you all by the way), it appears as it depends the CNS and metabolic demands of ladder and it’s reps. In addition to what the goal is of the prescribed series ie. 80, 100, 120, 150 or 350, 300, 250. In either case, I believe to ladder down would bring about better results. Now I’ve notice this to happen with the odd workout here or there, but I haven’t been obeserving (or coaching) long enough have any solid data. Not to be overlooked, in laddering down there’s the concept of preceived effort or demand of tasks (did that make sense :confused: ) and how it effects outcome.

Thoughts and comments :slight_smile: