Special end 1(100m) not as intensive as sprints(50m)

One chart at the Vancouver seminar 04 shows the classification of training elements:

high were:

1 high: sprints <9 sec / maximum weights
2 high: plyos / special endurance 1+2
3 high: strength endurance / lower weights

4 low: tempos

Of course its mainly high or low…

But: to monitore and watch for te feeling and plan well(i.e. in terms of comp) it is useful to have the classification in mind.

The best example is the split routine in the GPP:
It makes sence, bc hill work is high, but not as high as sprints(categorie 1).

My question:
Why is special endurance type 1 not as high as sprints???

For SE II its quite clear; not running at 100% velocity. But at SE I(i.e. 80m) i start as fast as over 50m. So there are the same intensities over the first 60m! I just deaccelerate after ~8sec - all right, but what about the first 8 secs. Isnt it categorie 1 ???

For SE II , i think its clear. You arent going all out and run at ~98,9% :rolleyes:

Any ideas about SE I ???

It’s ranked according to intensity as max speed, done with full recovery will have a higher intensity/speed for every run beyond the first rep, assuming the same volume.
For example:
Speed 60m times with full recovery:
6.5, 6.5, 6.5, 6.5, 6.55, 6.6
Spec End 1 times at 60+60 might be:
: 6.5 + 6.7, 6.55 + 6.8, 6.6 + 7.0
The SE1 will feel tougher when you do it but you’ll recover from the session sooner overall.

that was quite clear to me, but thx anyways… :slight_smile:

i guess you refere to the SPP1 plan only with this chart of intensity 1-4 ?!

Of course, if doing 3x3x60m with 2-3 min recovery its clear that the intensity(exclusive the very first rep) isnt as high as with full rec.

But i thought that you were also talking about SE II…
Example1 full rec:
4x30m block
60-80-120m-150m
Will the 120/150m still be very highest intensity? I guess for me that i will “have to make adjustments” in terms of speed at the end of the session…

Example2:
full rec
4x30m block
SE II: 2x150m

I guess these runs are highest intensity or?

Now i have an idea to make clear what i wanna ask ( :wink: ):

If i m just running 1x200m(i.e. comp). This will be highest int ,or?

400m-comp wont be highest int, bc i cant run 400m all out?

Makes sence?

Thx

For the top athletes 80, 100, 120, 150 is still SE1 and all are at max when the session calls for it.
200 and 400 in comp can make you feel wasted but the effects on the nervous system are generally less the next day.