Soccer/ Sprint Journal

I play Soccer at a high level and I also have a backround in athletics. At the moment we have 3 games with little to play I also play at college level(ireland). Some stats
height: 5ft 9
weight 74kg
As soccer is 90 min games I have a good level of conditioning so i dont perform much temp work. Mainly just short sprints jumps and weights

Here is a last weeks/ a sample week training any crituques welcome

Mon-Rest
Tues- Warm up some med ball throws 3x50m 2x60m … soccer training later
Weds-rest
Thursday- Warm up.some lights plyos jumps. 5x30 3x60m Weights Squats 140kgx5 132x5 RDL 110kgx6 100kgx6 90kgx6
Friday rest
Saturday 3x500 2x60 (10 min break) 1x80 …soccer training later
Sunday Weights similar to thursday. I mainly just use squts and RDL . Squats are deep.

I would like some crituque of my routine. Good or bad!! Some PB’s of mine are 293cm slj but i predict its around 3m at present havent tested recently. I consistenly run around 6.5 ht 60m. I have 3 rest days a week so mybe i should incorporate rate some light bodyweight/circuit style training
Sunday weights

Dalton,
ARe you playing soccer games 3 x each week or is it soccer practice?
Would you define what you mean by " some med ball throws".
I assume 3 x 50 meters is speed? As is 2 x 60 meters?
How did you arrive at this distance? What are your rest intervals between each 50 meter and what is your rest interval before doing the next set of 2 x 60 meter?
You have MOnday, Wednesday and Friday off? No training , no soccer?
I will assume your squats are past parallel? Is that 10 sets of squats? do you do any warm up sets or do you just begin with reps of 5?
Did you mean 3 sets of 500 meters? or 3 x 50 meters?
What are some of your goals in soccer?
best,
Ange

No games every saturday or friday night. yeah 50metres not 500. Yeah sorry i should have explained better. Am squats yeah i do warm up sets. So always a dynamic warm up (30 min various hip mobility exercises and etc ) a sample squat session would go 70kgx5 70kg x5 110x3 125x2 then work sets 140x5 then 132x5 . My goal is to play in england professionally . The training sessions during the week are not very high intensity. The med ball throws are used to prime my cns just 3-5 throws. What i done today. I have looked through some of the threads. I think some people here underestimate the athleticism in english Premier League. My goals are to improve my speed and power. I will also run some 100m races in the summer so I will prob add in more speed endurance work. As i have 3 rest days any suggestions what i can do on this days ?

What i did today
Dynamic warm up 3x50m . 2x60 m followed by 1x80m

21/3
Dynamic warm up
Sprints 3x50m 2x60m(best of 6.17 ht timed of first movement so no reaction)
Weights Squats 5x140kg 5x120kg RDL 112kgx6 102kgx6 90kgx6

What are you doing for your Dynamic warm ups? Did no plyos today

Some light low intensity plyos as part of my warm up. some light jogging.glute activation exercises hip mobility etc >Usual about 30 min warm up

Can you give some examples of low intensity plyos,and glute activation exercises hip mobility
,Thanks

I notice your weight squats are 5x140kg 5x120kg RDL 112kgx6 102kgx6 90x6 .Why do you start with heavy weigth and then go to lighter weigths? will you progress to heavy weigths in your next workouts are stay the same?

23/3
Dynamic warm up…Some jumps 3xSLJ …6 med ball throws
Sprints 3x50m 2x60m

Had a soccer game today in the morning …Later i did

Dynamic warm up
Squats 140kgx6 132x4kg
RDL 112kgx6 102kgx5 92kgx6

26/3
dynamic warm.
med ball throws x3 SLJ x3
2x50m 3x60m 1x80m
will have training later which will be mainly tactical and technical.Big focus on possession .the strikers will focus also on some shooting

i had soccer training on the 27/3…focusing on small sided games and one touch or two touch passing.

28/3
Dynamic warm up
Sprints 3x40m1x50m 2x60mps in this ,
Squats 140kgx6( i think i could def get 8 reps but wont rush it) 135kgx4
RDL 112kgx6 102kgx6 92kg (i will add on some weight next workout)

In the squat i usually do simple linear progression. obviously i will prob have to do more periodised strength work when i stop getting stronger or increase volume. But for now i am getting stronger and my one rep max is about 160-170kg(full deep squat)

Hello dalton
the squat simple linear progression.Did you started off with a much lighter wt and got stronger by using only 5reps with 2 sets the reason is i am following your same workouts if it is simple and get results ,that works!

I have always stayed in the 5 or 6 rep range…yeah i think 2 working sets works well . Just make sure u are eating well…Eg: enough protein in your diet and a clean diet.

Have you ever tried doing 3 work sets or from your experience and knowledge do you think 2 working sets can provide enough stimulus to improve your strength progressively? I’m just wondering if doing 3 sets would be better than 2 or if 2 would be enough.

i dont think 2 or 3 would make too much of a difference. 2 working sets does provide enough stimulus for me,but i imagine i will need to increase the volume in the future.

Bearpower by Mr Barry Ross uses the dead lift and the wt % ranges from 85-95% 1 rep max and only uses 10 reps total works well for strength gains

So you guys think doing 3 sets probably is not gonna give me more than doing 2 sets and I could use that time to save energy and recover better for my later workouts like soccer work and speed?

it would depend on how much you are lifting…if you are inexperienced lifters…3 sets may be better at working on technique

My technique is really good and I go pretty heavy for myself when I do 5 reps. Do you think I should try 2 sets as it may help get the same results but there would be less fatigue by not doing that last set I suppose. Do you think it’s fine to do 3 sets for upper body lifts as well or leave those to 2 as well?