sleep?

alright thanks everybody definitely going to bump up it to 7 hours a night now and cut back. Or I could opt for 6 hours a night with naps but my 1/2 hour naps tend to turn into 5 hours of sleep. So pretty sure I will now stick with 7 hours a night no more no less. The sleep aids are definitely make a big difference btw.

i have been training for the sport for a year but still classify myself as a beginner.

Ok, is there some kind of pill/supplement that compensates, even a little, for the lack of sleep?

I’m tired all the time now, and I’m sleeping 7-8 hours per night, sometimes I even take a power nap in the afternoon (but rarely), but I can’t sleep all day… I have so much work to do.

Perhaps for those who can’t sleep 10+ hours, who train hard, while also stressing the brain with work, should have their iron levels checked? (this is just what one coach here suggested, because most athletes have hematocrit issues, which adds fatigue)

I’m also taking 750mg carnitine per day (for more than a year now); I know Charlie recommended 2000mg per day for sprinters (cognitive support)

Any supplement thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance.

i started taking zma and it has done wonders for my sleep

You might try theanine, 100-200 mg about an hour before bedtime. At least one study out of Japan found that it improved subjective sleep quality. Again, one of those things that works for some and not for all.

I’ll read into ZMA and theanine, although I’m an excellent sleeper… so, I don’t think that’s my problem, exactly. I see tons of dreams every night, and they are always vivid.
I just want more… and more, because I always do something during the day that tires my brain. :confused:

maybe you have a sleeping disorder, narcolepsy runs in my family, so if i dont get 8.5+ hours a night im a wreck the next day

Yes, I agree with this.

As far as a supplement that helps you sleep, Sleep 1, worked great for me. I woke up refreshed and I felt very masculine for the rest of the day.

http://nutrition53.com/Store/Product.aspx?id=2&productid=496&categoryid=75

And on a side note, I was looking at a lecture on youtube given by a neuroscientist, and the lecture was about improving brain function, and he said the best supplement that induced deep sleep and improved brain function was a herb that use to be legal to buy back in the 90s’ but now you need a prescription for it. He went on to say that the deeper you sleep the more you will be able to interact with life in a more profound way.

I need to spend a day tracking down the lecture as I lost the link (and the name of the supplement), but when I do I will post it here.

what herb was that?

The HERB. Always made me sleep good.

Narcolepsy is pretty heavy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy.
Plus, up to 10 hours sleep is considered ‘normal’.

I got to track down the video to find the name of the herb(if I can). I lost link.

Is it the one that you inhale using a bubble machine

lol… no (had to think about that)

Arrrh! I went to go buy power to sleep pm by irwin naturals but the store around me did not have it so I got Night Rest with 500mg of GABA as an alternative today. Will post how it works.

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1231/

seriously L-Theanine is good stuff…250mg before sleep

GABA i don’t like the short breath feeling

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1231/

Well it’s day 2 of using Night Rest and I’m taking it back. It gives me a headache to the point where it wakes me up a night and my sleep was not restful at all.

Z-12 by Biotest seems to be the best sleep supplement I have found. Much better than ZMA which keeps me awake. Z-12 contains GABA, 5-HTP, and Theanine (as lyle mentioned). I would love to try each of those ingredients on their own to figure out if it is one of them having the effect on my sleep or if you need all of them to work synergistically to have an effect. Perhaps I will order a small amount of each of them in powder form from purebulk.com and report back.

Yea, I saw z12, but I got an exchange for basic zma and now I sleep like a baby.