Skipping vs Bounding

Hi all…

So I realise I have an elasticity problem (or so I would think). My running vert/depth jump vert off a low box is equal or less than from standing.

One thing that I have found myself incapable of doing is alternate leg bounds. I can do skips for distance covering 10-11m in 3 skips from standing, but when I try to bound it takes me 5 alternate bounds to do the same. (I would never make it as a triple jumper) Part of me thinks this could be technique thing/tight hip flexor situation.

Anyway, are “power skips” beneficial for improving elasticity/stride length or should I be learning to bound?

Just bumping this up…

Maybe build up the skipping and start getting into bounds as your plyo’s improve. Start doing submax bounds from standing to get the technique.

I’ve wondered about this, too - especially with developing/high school athletes.

Bounding is very technical, skipping less so. In conversation the other day, I suggested that skipping for height and distance gives one most of the value of power bounding with only a fraction of the risk of injury and programming bad recruitment patterns.

Others?

i have noticed this as well. most of my hs kids cannot ALB, but they can power skip … so we just don’t mess with what we cannot do well.

Do whatever generates the elastic response you’re looking for. Leave the bounding for another day in the future if it isn’t working now.

there is a thread, (I believe KK’s famous “Lact” thread) that talks about skipping vs bounding.

I personally use power skips for newer athletes, less developed athletes as well as those that are succeptible to leg injuries.