Skinny 200 sprinters

Carson, you are right. I don’t know what I was thinking. Of course Cr needs ATP to bind P and this will only occur after the sprint!

BTW, when I stated that the CP system can contribute more towards the end of the 400 than in the middle, I wasn’t refering that the pace can be increased, only that to try and maintain the same pace more effort is needed; and to do this the CP system may be recruited at a higher rate - it can do this because it has not been working flat out like in the 100/200. I have a chart somewhere but can’t find it at the moment.

Kidscoach, you can’t speed up again after slowing from fatigue - the others are just slowing down faster.

I am not the biggest of sprinters i am the same bluid as christian malcom and 5"10. I think that i am more powerful and exsplosive than most of the Athletes i compete against, i am a good long jumper and high jumper, and i think you have to be powerful to comepete in those events.

Size dose not = power or speed.

I am not the biggest of sprinters i am the same bluid as christian malcom and 5"10. I think that i am more powerful and exsplosive than most of the Athletes i compete against, i am a good long jumper and high jumper, and i think you have to be powerful to comepete in those events.

Size dose not = power or speed.

Originally posted by Richard Hand
Kidscoach, you can’t speed up again after slowing from fatigue - the others are just slowing down faster.

Yes, I think Kidscoach may be thinking of energy conservation through race strategy.

Dazed, I agree that increased CP may reduce pH changes. Creatine supplementation will increase stored CP and Cr alone may also be a potent buffer in muscle.

What intensity are you referring to when you say that increased mitochondrial activity will aid in lacatate tolerance? This will definitely help when you are working close to lactate threshold, but I think at maximal intensities it takes too long to cross the mitochrondial membrane for aerobic metabolism to be effective.

I think this is where aerobic development and warm-up come into the frame. Don’t forget, to be effective the mitochondria do not have to perform the whole task of mopping up hydrogen ions, in a trained system this will largely be performed by a group of enzymes such as LDH etc. The role of the mitochondria only has to be minimal t make a difference over the last half of a 400m.

If the body is warmed up correctly it should already have these fuel systems and cycles working hard. Hydrogen ions will be being pumped into the mitochondria to help provide the energy bonds required to resynthesize ATP.

Although the Vo2 Max of a 400m sprinter will drop significantly during the competition phase, it’s been demonstrated that the myoglobin levels increase sharply increasing the muscle cells immediately availble oxygen. I’ve got a feeling that this plays a massive role in what we are discussing.