Simple supplementation program

What would you guys consider a simple supplementation program, with the most important things? (my case is for an athlete undergoing considerable muscle mass and strength increase and in intense track training so I tried to base the below plan on these conditions)

I’ve been studying this for a while now and my final list/conclusion is :

After Breakfast

• Standard multivitamin/multimineral
  • Vitamin D-Calcium-Magnesium complex (this one is because I don’t like milk or ingest virtually any Ca rich foods, I found a handy complex that also includes some extra Mg which won’t hurt)

After Training

• L-glutamine (powder form)
  • BCAA’s (L-valine, L-leucine, L-isoleucine complex)

In a few months when the time is right (higher intensity/shorter work) I’ll add creatine to the mix.

What I’ve been breaking my head on is whether to take the aminos right after weights with an cereal bar (carbo’s) or after all my training (Mon-Fri I do my weights sessions immediately prior to my track work … well actually I finish about an hour or two before, counting all the time till I warm up/wait for people for the track session).

All other supplements I’ve been exploring don’t seem worthwhile or proven enough, what do you guys think of these 4 as a basic supplementation program (multivit&min, L-Glutamine, BCAA’s and creatine)? Anything you’d add or subtract?

I’d take the calcium alone, and zma before bed. Apparently there are studies which show calcium prevents the absorbtion of other minerals so it is best to take by itself if you need it as a supplement.

I like to break up my glutamine dosage>>> on speed days half after my track workout and half after i lift. Or on Tempo days Half after my workout and half before bed.
How many grams of Glutamine are you presently taking?

aln,

Before going onto supplementation: what is the rest of his diet like?

Protein, Carbs, Fats (EFAs), Total calories, number of meals, whole food vs shakes, etc.

I would concentrate on this area first, before, deciding on which supplements.

Then, once this part of his diet has been nailed, you can go onto supplementation.

There is a thread which members have given their preferred supplement list.

Definatly agree with QUIK about Glutamine, here`s how i use it:

Recommended use:
Take one serving 2-5 times daily with water. Take one serving prior to workout and another serving following your workout. For best results, take a last serving 10 minutes prior to bedtime.

Supplement Facts - 40 servings per container (100g)
Serving Size: ½ scoop
Amount per Serving
L-Glutamine 2500mg*%

aln, why only BCAAs, why not all essential AAs? Are the other essential AAs supplied by the diet prior to exercise?

Does anyone really feel glutamine has benefited them?

Originally posted by Richard Hand
aln, why only BCAAs, why not all essential AAs? Are the other essential AAs supplied by the diet prior to exercise?

Does anyone really feel glutamine has benefited them?

My diet should give me all the AA’s I need, but I just want to make sure I have enough BCAA’s, that’s why the supplement. I’ve been reading through old threads and now I’m sold on ZMA. So, you all think I’ll get much better bang from my supplement buck with a ZMA supplement then BCAA’s? I think I’ll replace the BCAA’s … which I should be getting enough of already … with ZMA … the benefits look too good. I’ll now go with Multivit&min, glutamine, ZMA and creatine.

Is there a significant difference between the ZMA’s offered? The only ZMA I’ll be able to get here is the Twinlab ZMA Fuel :
Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 3 caps (men)
Servings Per Container: 30
Amount Per Serving (3 caps) % Daily Value
Vitamin B6 10.5mg 525%
Magnesium (from Magnesium Aspartate) 450mg 113%
Zinc (from Zinc Monomethionine and from Zinc Aspartate) 30mg 200%

Does this ZMA look good? Will appreciate any advice on ZMA’s. Thanks.

twinlab zma is fine.

Originally posted by QUIKAZHELL
I like to break up my glutamine dosage>>> on speed days half after my track workout and half after i lift. Or on Tempo days Half after my workout and half before bed.
How many grams of Glutamine are you presently taking?

I’m planning to take 5g. after weights and 5g. 20mins. before sleep … this won’t interfere with the ZMA, will it?
I’m planning to take the ZMA (2 caps) about an hour before bed. I already talked with the guy that gets me the supplements and I’ll be getting the Zonelabs ZMA Fuel on Tuesday. How does this sound?

Taking the glutamine with your ZMA is fine. I do the same thing sometimes. One is an amino acid and one is a mineral supplement. They have nothing ot do with eachother.
As long as the ZoneLabs ZMA is the same original “SNAC” ZMA formula its fine. (qualitywise)

The companies who use the original SNAC formula will have a reference to SNAC products on the label(usually on the back of the botle). If you don’t see it on the label that it is not the original formula. I discovered this today while shopping for ZMA and comparing the formulas. I was looking for Twinlab since I find all of their products that I have used to be of high quality. I could not find it and settled instead for EAS.

Originally posted by Pioneer
The companies who use the original SNAC formula will have a reference to SNAC products on the label(usually on the back of the botle). If you don’t see it on the label that it is not the original formula. I discovered this today while shopping for ZMA and comparing the formulas. I was looking for Twinlab since I find all of their products that I have used to be of high quality. I could not find it and settled instead for EAS.

Take a look at this thread http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/viewthread.php?tid=951&page=2 seems like it’s the otherway around, Twinlabs is the same and EAS is modified.

Originally posted by QUIKAZHELL
Taking the glutamine with your ZMA is fine. I do the same thing sometimes. One is an amino acid and one is a mineral supplement. They have nothing ot do with eachother.
As long as the ZoneLabs ZMA is the same original “SNAC” ZMA formula its fine. (qualitywise)

Lol, that was a typo, my head is spinning around from seeing so many supplements today, its the Twinlab one I’m getting … I don’t think a company called Zonelabs even exists :smiley: … heh … see, right now I could use some of that and sleep like a baby! :D:D:D

The ingredients that I saw appeared to be exactly the same. Maybe it’s a new EAS product. I don’t remember the exact name.

All it will say is ZMA is a registered trademark of SNAC etc etc etc.

I have a generic store brand and even It says it.

Is Glutamine that good guys?
I have never supp’ed with it … yet.

I have bought this one before and it smells like rotten eggs after a couple of weeks.

Originally posted by no23
Is Glutamine that good guys?
I have never supp’ed with it … yet.
Depends on the type of work you do, if you’re in very intense weight training in theory it will definitely help.

Regarding glutamine; the theory looks great, but the results may not be - check out the following links:

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/body_230glut.html

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/231glut2.html

i am currently using twinlab ZMA and i (we were out of Bio test) havent noticed a difference between the 2 so, so far i would say its a fine choice.

as for glut, i know there are some board memebers that think highly of it, although i am not one of them. cost alot, never been shown to do alot, personally i havent noticed a difference on or off glut. but with that said, i get alot of glut from my protein powder (proscore 100 from champion and it 20% glutamine as is) so just like creatine, i may be a low/non responder.