Short-to-Long for 200/400 man

Hi

I have an adult athlete capable of posting quality times for 100, 200 and 400. I want to set him up for a s-to-l programme but have a few questions before I do this. To be honest I can see how this works L-TO-S but am struggling to work this out for S-TO-L even though intuitively I feel that the short-to-long system is superior (building endurance at the required speed, greater speed reserve, etc). The reason I have come to this decision is that I have this athlete (200m runner mainly) who at the back end of ‘last’ season in August was inspired to train and race. He had not trained for 5 months having done a winter with another coach from October to February. I gave him sessions such as 2x6x60; 2x5x50; 2x6x100 all with short recoveries (ranging from 45secs to 1 min between reps and only up to 3-5 mins between the sets for his special endurance with one 300-200-150 session thrown in during week three. His speed consisted of 2 sets of 30-60-30 one day per week. No weights were done. He felt like he was really ready to run, but being that it was the end of August we were struggling to find a 200m competition and so entered a 400m instead as this was all that was available. He smashed his PB, taking it down from 50.8 to 48.70 FAT in wet and very very windy conditions with a strong headwind down the home straight (this after a five month layoff and only 4 weeks of training at mainly short speed endurance)! Now I must say that he has run a last leg in a relay at 48.8 so the 50.8 hardly represents what he probably was capable of but it still is an impressive performance. Unfortunately we could not find a 200m race.

He has come back to train with me permanently and is just finishing his GPP. With not much time left for the season to begin (8 weeks training) I want to prepare him again for the 200m but this time properly using a s-to-l strategy that I could transfer to a full winter training.

Below is my take on this for the remainder of this season:

m- speed (30-60)
t- Tempo
w- Split runs 3x (4x50) 1/10 mins recovery- moving through 3x2x100; 3x150+50 to 2-3x200
t- Tempo
f- Smooth 60’s
s-Tempo
s-Rest

For the winter onward I was thinking of the following:

SPP1

m- Speed (runs from 30-60)
t- Tempo
w- SE2 2x(3x200) 90secs/20mins recovery- eventually building to 2x600
t- Tempo
f- Speed (smooth 60’s)
s- Tempo
s- rest

SPP2

t- Tempo
w- SE1 2x(2x150) 90secs/30mins recovery- eventually building to 2x300
t- Tempo
f- Speed Endurance(80, 100, 120)
s- Tempo
s- rest

SPP3

t- Tempo
w- SE1 2x200 40mins recovery
t- Tempo
f- Speed Endurance 5x120@95% (smooth) 20mins recovery
s- Tempo
s- rest

OR should I focus on speed and short speed endurance in SPP1, followed by speed and speed endurance in SPP2 and then longer SE1 and SE2 in SPP3 and for the rest of the outdoor season (with appropriate modification for competitions). For example:

SPP1

m- SE 3x(4x60) 2mins/7 mins recovery
t- Tempo
w- Speed (runs from 30-60)
t- Tempo
f- SE 3x(4x60) 2mins/7 mins recovery
s- Tempo
s- rest

SPP2

t- Tempo
w- Speed (smooth 60’s)
t- Tempo
f- Speed Endurance (80, 100, 120, 150)
s- Tempo
s- rest

SPP3

t- Tempo
w- SE1 2x200 30mins recovery
t- Tempo
f- SE2 300-350 40 mins recovery
s- Tempo
s- rest

My dilema is that in focusing on the necessary speed to run a world class 200m will I be robbing him of too much endurance training necessary to run the 400 adequately at the same level?

CF has a 400m S-L template which may assist, I got a copy in Aus and I’m pretty sure it comes with the Edmonton Download
http://www.charliefrancis.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=31

Rupert or others who have that should be able to confirm.

Hi John

Thanks for the reply.

I have the 2007 Edmonton download but the only graphics I recall on this are the long-to-short SPP (two HI days per week- mainly), and the short-to-long SPP1 for prepaeration for 60m indoors.

If you can remember, what is the basic principle set-up? I’m not so much looking for the finer details just how and when one progresses the SE with and after the speed is in place.

I’d double check those and if you don’t have the 400m S-L contact Rupert as the product info states includes ALL graphs in a PDF file in the download. and this was after I got mine. It has 3 speed days pw 2SE and 1 short speed. As far as SE progression day 1 has 4 x 60m with 2.5m rest and the last session in week 12 is 300+100 30 sec rec with plenty of variety in between.

I actually followed it as prep for this season, from 13 July on P45 of my journal but reduced some of the recoveries slightly. http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=15320&page=45 NOTE there is also a Power speed day which I didn’t do, on reflection I think this was a mistake.

I can confirm that the Edmonton 2007 download that I received did NOT have the 400m S-L program but I would be very interested in obtaining it.

Send me a private message with your proof of purchase (paypay receipt number) and I’ll furnish the graphs you speak of.

Going forward, I will add them to the download.

I’d double check those and if you don’t have the 400m S-L contact Rupert as the product info states includes ALL graphs in a PDF file in the download. and this was after I got mine. It has 3 speed days pw 2SE and 1 short speed. As far as SE progression day 1 has 4 x 60m with 2.5m rest and the last session in week 12 is 300+100 30 sec rec with plenty of variety in between.

I actually followed it as prep for this season, from 13 July on P45 of my journal but reduced some of the recoveries slightly. http://www.charliefrancis.com/commun…=15320&page=45 NOTE there is also a Power speed day which I didn’t do, on reflection I think this was a mistake.

Hi John

Thanks for this.

Rupert have you had a chance to get these together? I am waiting with bated breath :slight_smile:

Same here :smiley: