short approach jumps

how fast are these kids though?

when i was in high school running 7.30 for the 60m i could jump easy of that speed, now im 6.80 type speed im having a difficult time of it…

I also do run troughs every 5th day at the moment.Later also with a “pop up”.I’m having problems to do “real” full approach jumps in training though.My technique is really awful in most of these jumps…

If what this jumper told me is true,Pedroso was “bombing” 8m+ jumps 3 times a week.That is serious business! Perhaps,like you said crazyhops, they lowered the volume and intensity of the other components in their training to be able to do this? He also said that he believed he was training hard but it was nothing compared to what the Cubans were doing. Would be nice to see Pedroso’s training programme when he was at his best…

Again I can not guarantee that this is true,but I see no reason why this guy would be lying.

I know the Cuban “jump factory” is/was very influenced by the Russian system.Long to short running and extreme volumes of endurance bounding early in the training year and high intensity plyos later.Alot of bounding.

yeah lots of bounding and plyos…thats what i used to do lots of…tons of it, just like that, endurance bounding moving into speed bounding during comp time etc…

and i felt i was able to hit my take off then at speed…this year, much more speed work and much less bounding, now im really finding it hard to jump off speed. interesting…

Because of achilles problems I did the same thing in 2006 and 2007.Only minimal bounding.More energy for speedwork and weigths.Speed improved and I got stronger. But less power on the board…

My best years I have started with endurance boundings and later progressed to speed bounds and hurdle hops. I think it’s harder to develope speed with this system though.But I guess it can be done the American style also…They have had a couple of good jumpers afterall :slight_smile:

yeah, true…but those guys have incredible elastic qualities to begin with i think…the european style is very much with the bounding etc…most “good” athletes can get to a point where they can run 10.3-10.5m/s at the board, and that speed is perfectly fine to jump 8m + as long as you have power at take off developed with bounding and plyos etc…

the americans seem so concerned with running 10.8-11.3m/s at the baord that speed work is all they do…i dont think its nessessary to have that much speed as along as you have take off power…

I agree! In my experience this is true. Speed is great but make sure you can use it! Either you are born with super elastic qualities or you have to do high intensity boundings to get the take of power.In my opinion weigths alone can’t
do this (especially maxweigths) and not longjump technique training either.Both components are needed but they are not enough. As I said I have tried this and failed every time. (2003/2006/2007)

yeah man…totally…totally totally totally…

I actually found that while running at high speeds it is really difficult to set up a proper penultimate.

If you watch some top guys the pulled out some huge jumps when they got the most violent penultimate step, like emmyan´s 886 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykekeh90IXg ). See how he is running really tall and then he takes off from a position that looks like walking. Other example is saladino, in his zagreb 840 jump his penultimate wasn´t very pronounced, but in his osaka jumps his last step looked like a walking step, not a long running step. He is really low at the board but straight up.

Nick, I was looking at some videos of your jumps. I compared frame by frame your penultimate from a training session and your 780 jump. In the latter it is pretty obvious that the penultimate was more violent, thus creating a very notorious huge vertical component. You can see this from the front view, although I don´t know if some small camera adjustments created some kind of optical illution.

lol…wasnt expected the “nick”…lol…but i guess you found me…

well yeah, your very right…when i think “violence at take off” i tend to jump better…my problem with that, is as you could see, when i hit my penultimate real hard, it tends to go out to the side a bit, and that causes my knee drive to not go straight, thus causing my body to be somewhat horizontal in the air…when my technique is “good” my take off isnt as hard…

thanks for the info…i really need to just go for it, try to break the board or something…first meet this weekend, so we’ll see…

wait im confused now i just re-read your post…

can you explain more the “walking step” ?

if the penultimate was very aggressive, why would the step seem slower (walking) ? im not sure i know what you mean…

im looking at the video of saladino, and im struggling to see what you see…
he does seem to lower himself more in osaka on his second last stride, but its very slight…

It was pretty obvious who you were after reading your posts on the other board :stuck_out_tongue: .

Look at this video, the close slow motion side camera, the one that is shown after the board messure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mod8VfWRpI

I now realize that it is hard to see this on youtube, you gotta download the video (http://keepvid.com/) and watch it on full screen. Details become more obvious.

Look at the attached images.

More attached images.

It is still difficult to grasp what I am telling. If you look at the height difference between your run up and the last step you will notice that in your best jump it was huge, although I will have to upload some extra frames for that.

Tomorrow I am uploading a frame line so that this will be very self explaining.

edit: i forgot to upload the run up screenshots

ps: i am now thinking that this may be a combination of both taller running and a more pronunciated penultimate.

wow…thanks alot, thats awesome…not sure who you are ?

but thanks alot…

British… 7.62… 6.80… Nick?? I would have thought I’d know who you were from the PB’s… Are you abroad or something?

yeah im abroad…6.80 type speed i said…we do testing often in training…i dont run 60’s though…dont like racing…

7.54 indoor…

7.62 outdoor, but never registered as an official meet so uka never counted it…it will be official soon enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSaiTWqmzlQ

heres a great vid for demonstrating what your talking about Fiavala, i beleive…

its Chris tomlinson, who actually speeds up over his last 1m to the board, and here you can see why, very very aggresive penultimate step as you can see in the vid…

i was working at it today, with great success, i have not been doing it since february, for some reason…

That´s exactly what I mean. Here you see it with howe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dT_eAldmAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7aDw_Nsn94

In the second video, in osaka, he doesn´t do it as violently in the first one and has a flatter flight (although i dont know if i am seeing what really happens or what i want to see).

Glad to see it works for you now. Any clue on how much is that “great success?” :slight_smile: ? Look at the attached images, in which one do you seem to be “more collapsed”? Also look at the position of your arms.

We dont know each other, if that answers your question.

Also look the height difference. Take in count that in the one youre wearing the white shirt the camera is lower, so that it should look higher than it really is.

yeah, definitily…thanks alot…really cool of you to help…

my only concern with lowering too much on the penultimate is that i dont want to take off with a bent leg and i do need to as tall as possible on take off…so it will be a very quick lower and then rise i beleive…

yeah, heres the comparison in pics from the vids you added…howe and me, id like to think quite a simular action on penultimates from my best jump…

his take off leg stay in line however, where as mine doesnt. and my arms arent forward to back, a little off to the side.