short approach jumps

anyone got any numbers for sport approach jump distances for top guys…preferably 12 or 14 strides…

Chris Tomlinson went 7.60m from 14 the year he jumped 8.29m…

my best is 7.45m from 14, and my pb is 7.62m, should be alot further obviously…

i also beleive John Moffit went 7.50m from 12 in 04…

dude i have no idea where you get this information…I wish i could help you though!

haha…i was there when Chris did it…and my coach was there when John did it…

i just love jumping stats…there great…

my formula, goes about 10-15cm per 2 steps added upto 21 steps…

most pro’s this works for…clearly it doesnt work for me, lol…my full is 19, so i should be near 8m

i will get there though

haha ok that explains alot…i was wondering how in the world does he know this information

yeah, im hoping coaches or ex coaches or teammates of elite jumpers are on here that know info like this…

it would make me happy to know it…lol

Christian Reif (germany) pb 8.19

10 Schritte 7,10m
12 Schritte 7,30m
16 Schritte 7,55m

I believe he uses 20 steps.

wow…awesome…

thanks alot…ive been watching this guy…

my 7.54m and 7.62m pbs all came of 16 strides funerly enough…

do you know his max v at take off…im guessing he’s around 10.2-4 mps?

10m 0,92 sek. (Halle) Winter 2006
20m 1,89 sek. (Halle) Winter 2006
30m 2,88 sek. (Halle) Winter 2006
40m 3,85 sek. (Halle) Winter 2006
90m 8,90 sek. (Freiluft) Sommer 2004

10m @ 10.86 m/s
20m @ 10.58 m/s
30m @ 10.41 m/s

60m 6.86
100m 10.68
200m 21.90

So yes, he should be arround 10.2 considering the penultimate, which isn´t very powerfull. His pb is from osaka last year.

wow, hes way faster than he looks…

so i assume they are fly numbers…10.86m/s is flying, was this an 11-1m speed on the runway, or in a 100m race?

i wonder what speed he jumps from…id never guess he was moving that fast…that explains the 8m jumps…

he is VERY simular to chris tomlinson, across the baord…

Yes, those are flying numbers, laser splits from training. He is really tall at 196cm, so he´s gonna look slower than what he really is.

He resembles tomlinson, specially with that technique (stride / semi hitch kick??). Whatever it is it works really well for him, has some excellent landing positions.

More data, just about J. Edwards:

15.05 from 6
16.60 from 10
17.05 from 14

Totally depends how “Elastic” you are. The faster you run the less time you have to take off. So if you can’t transfer the required energy fast enough off a longer approach you won’t necessarily jump that much further. Often short approach goes really well but long doesn’t. This is because you are going slower at short approach so have more time to transfer the energy required to lift your COM. If this is the case you need to work on decreasing GCT through short SSC plyometrics but it is really hard to do as it is mainly genetic.

My best jumps in training:

19 steps 780 outdoors -01
17 steps 775 outdoors -05
15 steps 765 indoors - 03
13 steps 760 outdoors&windy -06

19 step is my full approach.I have not jumped with full approach in training for many years.780 is from a training camp in 2001…I’m getting old.
When I jump with 7-9-11 steps I rarely measure.Infact I can’t remember my best jump with 11 steps. 2004 I had my best season (so far…) but no training pb:s. So for me long jumps in training doesn’t automatically mean long jumps in competition

hey,thanks for that…i am simular also…

7.60m from 13 is really damn good…better than most 8.20m guys…

i have had a number of 7.70m+ jumps and 1 7.80m measured jump from a full approach in training or in meets which was a 1cm foul, so i beleive im elactice enough. My speed seems to be improving this year fast than anything else though and at this point now, i cant take off well from it at all…but im peaking for july, so i think i just need to a few full approach meets…

I know a 16.15/7.40 long/triple jumper that can’t jump of a short approach for shite… but once he’s at topspeed he gets his foot in the right position and BANG!

It’s almost like the more impressive short approach jumps don’t add up to impressive full approach because the longer ground contact time and lower hip position seen in a maximal short approach jump doesn’t work at top speed.

I was watching indoor BUSA Long Jump and noticed that most people were going all out on pop-ups in warm-up, where as JJ Jegede was just doing fast one’s pulling his foot beneath him - replicating topspeed take-off, he has a 3.50 slj and would have the ability to go MASSIVE in a pop-up, but he didn’t becuase its not specific…

oh yeah, he’s pretty talented…but when u look at the top guys, they all jump far from a short run…so i dont really agree with you.

The top guys short approach jumps aren’t that far relatively (in comparison to non world class jumpers).
There are many 7.50m jumpers that can go 7.30 off a shorter than maximum approach - Whereas Beamon, Powell, Lewis and Pedroso would not be going 8.50+ off a short approach IMO. It’s at top speed that the top guys thrive due to the huge elastic properties they possess.

right but, i bet lewis, powell and pedroso could jump 7.60m + from 14 strides…which is very far from that distance…im saying, you wouldnt find too many guys who jump over 8m that couldnt jump 7.50+ from 14 strides…so the correlation is there…

yes they have great elastic properties…which helps at speed…but from 14 strides those guys are faster than most jumpers are from a full, so they still jump far.

I have similar experience when I have improved the runway speed.I get the feeling of not having enough time to produce force on the board.In my experience it may take a few more meets than usual
to get the “innervation” working and to peak.

Long jump is a difficult event because it’s hard to do full approach jumps in training when you get to a certain level.The adrenaline needed to jump from 10,5-11 m/s is almost impossible to get in a training session and because of that the technique often suffers.

I know one jumper who went to Cuba (about 10 years ago) and trained with coach Milan Matos,Pedoso and other longjumpers.This was in May and he told me that the cubans did full approach jumps 3 times/week…Don’t know if this is completely true!

wow…i do full approach twice a week, now…once with 3 jumps and 3 run ups with pop up and the other session i do 8 run ups with pop ups…

3 times is alot…but if you think about, if you lower the volume of other things, could do it 3 times a week…and lets face it, nothing else matters if you cant jump from a full approach…

My HS kids jump full only at meets (2x/week). One day is usually run throughs with some pops if needed. This is coupled with their sprint work (S-L). This approach has worked well this year so far for my athletes.