Semi-Tendonosis tear

In late February I tore my semi tendonosis (hamstring tendon). The hamstring lost a lot of strength and muscle mass, but the strength is getting much better. It is healthy now but I need to getting in shape again and I really don’t know where to start. Obviously I need to get some volume in this summer to get back in shape. The range of motion and flexibility needs to improve through hurdle mobility and running. I’m looking for suggestions on where to start back on the track. I’ve been doing tempo workouts but haven’t ran anything over 200m. I was running fairly well before the injury and had hopes for the trials in the 100 and 200 so i’m really frustrated now and need some help with a summer program.

I think your first priority before training is to have a good soft tissue therapist look at it to make sure the tissue is ready to handle the training. There is most certainly scar tissue in there and other myofascial restrictions. Having said that, you could probably handle tempo work without much trouble.

I can do tempo just fine. My conditioning has definately fallen off and thats what I need help with. I’m certainly not going to do any type of speed work until fall.

Charlie, Numbertwo, Clemson, or others. I thought there would be a lot of responses to this.

I’ve got the exact same injury at the moment. Scar tissue on a tendon? I thought you could only get scar tissue on muscle and skin etc…
If scar tissue restricts elasticity in the tendon is that actually a bad thing considering the tendons don’t need as much elasticity of muscles ? (?).
My knowledge in the physio area is rather limited. Also, I am wearing a knee support every day to wrap around the tendons aswell. Is this crutch going to speed up or weaken the recovery and strength of the tendon?
Anyone?

Over 3,000 members and no one has any suggestions?

Dear MJ and others,

The semitendinosus is one of three hamstring muscles and not a tendon. Did you actually tear the tendon of this muscle (which is located on the inner side of the back of your knee) or was it the semitendinosus muscle itself?

Regards,
Robin.

add the right suffix and it’s the insertion area…I think tempo and gradual elastic loading can break down the scar tissue…this must be gradual.

I believe that it is the tendon. It is located behind the knee on the inner side like you say.

How often should I do tempo since there will be no speed work done? Can tempo be done 5 days a week at this point? What are you referring to with gradual elastic loading? Thanks for the reply. I’m frustrated that more people won’t post on this, especially since hamstring injuries are common for sprinters.

mj,
A couple of things you can do yourself to help with your injury.
Compare the general flexibility of your hamstrings. Do this by performing a single limb hamstring stretch for each side and compare the ranges.

Are they equal in ROM?
Does one side feel stiff or “catch” more during the stretch than the other?

Do the same thing with your psoas, how do they compare?

That’s a start. Look up clemsens material on heat/cold therapy. If you do hot have access to baths or saunas, at least take contrast showers. Focus on the legs, glutes and lower back.

I know that a lot of people like eccentric loading for therapy. Personally I am not completely convinced of that yet, regardless of the research. I would stay away from that for now and stick with tempo runs and regular (read intelligent and cautious) strength training.

If you do not have access to a soft tissue therapist, look into an ems machine and try a potentiation setting before your workouts. This is a good way to fire up the NS and get some blood in the area.

The body is highly adaptable. Even if you do not get the needed soft tissue therapy and get complete treatment, the body will find a way to work around the injury. Just give it time to compensate. I am not saying that is an optimal approach, but considering the limitations of the real world, it is practical.

While stretching both legs good ROM, but when i’m running i can feel a catch in the injured leg.

mj,
Many times the only way to uncover the dysfunction is by observing the body during the activity or after the activity when the body is in a state of fatigue. This is especially true of people who are in good shape and/or are very strong. My guess is one or both of these apply to you.

If you are self-treating the problem, not much else can be said in addition to what is already on this thread.

When an injury occurs, the basic cycle is:

1. Injury takes place and soft tissue damage occurs
  2. The body immediately begins the process of healing itself. Adhesion formation and muscle weakness takes place in addition to other self healing processes
  3. Once adhesions are formed and muscle weaknesses develop, the body begins forming compensation patterns to work around the dysfunction
  4. This eventually leads to re-injury of the area and/or additional injury to surrounding structures

In addition to local adhesion formation at the site of the injury, you probably have additional scar tissue formation higher up in the belly of your hamstrings and further down where the hamstrings and calf cross each other. My guess is you probably also need your plantaris and popliteus treated.

This is the best I can do on a forum. I highly suggest you see an ART practitioner and ask other board members about tempo protocols. If you decided to let the injury work itself out, it will take longer to heal and your running mechanics will change, but if your smart with training the body will make do.

Thanks for the advice Chris.

Chris_P
I’m just wondering - if the injury originally was in Feburary and he can sustain should high volumes of tempo, could he start gradually and sensibly introducing very short speed work - from 10m - provided there is no pain?

But I guess that’s just specualation with out real data … and it’s true what you’ve said above- a skilled, experienced therapist could help alot more in accurately in diagnosing additional muscle tensions and potential injury sites.

[QUOTE=mj]While stretching both legs

You need manual therapy. like ART to break up the scar tissue. it won’t go away if you don’t.

Be careful, the absence of pain does not mean the absence of dysfunction

I definately need some ART work to get the range of motion back. Money is an issue, so I was wanting to know about tempo. My guess is that tempo should be fine for a short period because its slow enough not to hurt the leg. I do need to get therapy as soon as possible though so my mechanics don’t change. How many days a week should I do tempo at this point?

My question is does tempo help with the contractions of breaking down scar tissue? I know you need surgery and other means such as manual therapy but can it help the healing process physically?

And even if it doesn’t help, does it hurt the process? Is it alright to keep running until I get the therapy?