Self-Massage Idea that Works Well

I’ve been doing this for about 4 months and I’m really impressed with the results.

All you need are two rocks about the size of your fist. You are going to lean on these rocks in various positions to get a very deep massage. I’ve been able to hit almost every muscle in my body by putting myself in various positions and letting my bodyweight do all the work.

For instance, say you wanna hit these muscles:

Quads
Lay on the ground face down. Put a rock underneath your quad. Get up on your elbows in half push-up position. Use a few pillows for some upperbody support. Lean on the rock using most of your bodyweight. This should give you a very deep massage. You can adjust the pressure of the massage by either leaning more on your upperbody or using your other leg.

Back
Lay on your back with either 1 or 2 rocks under your lower back. Lean to the appropriate sides, letting your bodyweight do all the work. Move the rocks around to hit different spots. This works well on the upper back too.

Hamstrings
Get a nice firm chair with minimal cushioning. Put one rock under your hamstring. Lean appropriately. Move the rock around to hit different spots.

Chest/Shoulders
Lay face down. Put a pillow under one half of your chest, a rock under the other half. Let your bodyweight put pressure on the rock giving a deep massage. This works well with the rock positioned right at the shoulder joint.

Calves
This one is quite creative and difficult to describe. You are going to put a rock on the chair but you are going to sit on the ground. So your feet are elevated. You are going to put your calf on the rock and let your other leg put all the pressure on the leg being massaged. Sound fun?

Forearms
Sit at a table. Turn your palm face-up. Put a rock under that forearm. Use your other hand to put some pressure on the forearm being massaged. Lean in with your upperbody to really hit it.

Other muscles can also be hit with these techniques. Just use some creativity.

The benefits of these techniques are obviously the massage but also the fact that the athlete can adjust the pressure and location of the massage. This could be superior to having a massage therapist do the work since the athlete is more aware of the pressure and areas that need to be worked on.

Also, since the athlete is using his bodyweight to do all the work. There is really no exertion by the athlete to administer this massage to himself. It is a simple effective way to get the job done.

ROCKS?!

this is like the tennis ball thing or using foam rollers etc.

I use something similar. One is 4 tennis balls strung on a piece of bungee cord. The other is 3 softballs strung the same way. Rocks seem a
little primitive, even pre-historic. I also want to experiment with golfballs and baseballs. You’re right though, it works.

TNT

I have a track meet this saturday; is it okay to do self-massage the day before a track meet.

I would foam roll if you do anything (if you don’t have a therapist to just give you a light massage on the spot). I have done it with success and I know Mike Boyle does it with his athletes. I wouldn’t do anything too deep as that could be harmful rather than helpful. Charlie himself does some massage in the warm-up, but you probably don’t have the kind of luck ;).

Yes it is ok. But, try to stay away from deep work 48 hrs prior to the meet.

how often per week or month would you do light and deep massage?

Does the amount change for GPP, SPP, Comp season?
Tempo Vs Hi int

Just as a guide line, how can one gauge if the massage is too intense?
I have about 20-30 hs sprinters that I work with and I preach recovery as much as I preach speed. We do stretching and light massage as a team so what would you suggest

Lets add on to this question.
1st scenario
We have some weeks during the season where there are two meets in the same week. Always seperated by at least two days. How would you handle massage and recovery in these situations?

2nd scenario
Prelims and Finals back to back days with multiple events (100,4x100,200). How do you recover without losing elasticity (is that tonus?)
and CNS firing response between…

1. back-to-back days
  2. specific events

recovery in terms of massage, cooldown, stretching, etc

how often per week or month would you do light and deep massage?

Massage can range from more than once/day to 2 to 3 times/week.

Does the amount change for GPP, SPP, Comp season?
Tempo Vs Hi int

No reason to. As with all recovery methods… the more the better

Just as a guide line, how can one gauge if the massage is too intense?
I have about 20-30 hs sprinters that I work with and I preach recovery as much as I preach speed. We do stretching and light massage as a team so what would you suggest

There’s “good” pain and there’s “pain” pain. It’s fairly easy to gauge this if you’re the one getting the massage. With 20-30 athlete’s, I would preach self-massage, epson salt baths, contrast showers.

Lets add on to this question.
1st scenario
We have some weeks during the season where there are two meets in the same week. Always seperated by at least two days. How would you handle massage and recovery in these situations?

Massage, massage, massage… You can do some deep work after the meets and light work leading up to each meet. Massage on the day of the meet(before racing) should be light. Different techniques are used for different situations. Massage before speed work and races can be very beneficial… if the person applying the massage knows what they’re doing

2nd scenario
Prelims and Finals back to back days with multiple events (100,4x100,200). How do you recover without losing elasticity (is that tonus?)
and CNS firing response between…

1. back-to-back days
  2. specific events

recovery in terms of massage, cooldown, stretching, etc

Muscle tone should be low and then be gradually raised throughout the heats and different events.

On back-to-back days I’d use contrast showers after the last event on the first day. Massage can still be applied just not very deep.

i appreciate the very helpful response.
You brought up epsom salt. Known about it for years, never knew what is happening on a scientific level.
Whatcha got??

I don’t know what’s happening on a scientifc level either. They’re helpful for soreness and stiffness. Similar effect to hot tubs… helpful for relaxation and relieving tension.

I just started taking epsom salt baths on the days i get massage i dont know about scientific study but i feel very relaxed.

Just be sure to use LOTS of salt- usually a kg per bath. Some massage stores sell the salf pre-bagged that way but it’s much cheaper to buy a 20kg bag and scoop it out as needed

Magnesium ions

How good are the foam rollers, and how often would you recommend using them? I would think they would only really benefit my quads and IT bands. What are people’s opinions on them??

Quads are tough to do foam rollers with. They require almost a push-up action to hit with a roller, and it isn’t quite as relaxing as I perfer. Rollers really shine on the back of your leg, and they go from you butt, all the way to the bottom of your gastroc amazingly. I perfer a roller a bit firmer than most (soup can), but until you figure out how to do the rolling motions, use a softer tube.

cool, thanks for the advice. i ordered one 2 days ago, so hopefully it might have arrived today!! how often would you advocate doing this? the same sort of regularity as massage, or as it may not be quite as effective as massage would you need to use it slightly more often?

It is not in the same realm as massage, let’s make that clear. It is effective. I would use it almost as frequently as you can. Also remember, you do not need pain for it to be effective. A lot of people think this is necessary, but it is not. Pain does not necessarily mean it is work and does not necessarily mean it isn’t work. If you are doing it right before a workout, I would especially go light on the movements.

I actually find the quads and it bands the absolute easiest to hit and most effective when using a foam roller. If you have a hard time holding yourself up, go on your forearms.

Yo Davan, the foam rolling actually does hit my calves enough to hurt(yeah i know…pain isnt indicative of “working”), but I find that after a session of rolling…my lower leg feels aggravated. Am I doing something wrong?

How does it feel aggravated? What kind?

Well the muscles get sore after rolling, like the same soreness I get after a workout, but then my symptoms in my shin where my pain is get worse after rolling.