Ruptured bicep tendon- happen to anyone?

I ruptured my right bicep tendon Friday and saw an orthopaedist this morning to confirm it. I was set on the surgery, but he claims that I would have ~90% of my elbow flexion strength without it, only supinating actions would be a lot weaker (supinating DB curls and possibly chins). Deadlifts and the like would be fine.

Has anyone had this happen to them and if so, did you have the surgery?

What has happened since with or without the surgery?

Thanks.

Goodluck bro, get well soon.

Head over to elitefts.com and do some research over there. There is going to be a lot more personal experience regarding your injury over there due to the powerlifter base.

From what I’ve gathered, the only advantage to surgery is how your arm will look. Don’t listen to the garbage about you will only have this amount of strength here or this amount of movement there. You can gain all of that back.

By the way, Matt Kroczaleski is a good guy on elitefts.com to start with. Search the Q&A with his name. He’s torn both of his biceps and has no problems now. Just deadlifted over 800 pounds recently. After one of his bicep tears, he had surgery and was supposed to be out of commission for like 8 months. He ended up benching a PR in 8 weeks…

Thanks. I posted my question over there also. I’m starting to lean against having the surgery.

Thanks for the responses. After much consideration, I have decided to have the surgery. I see the surgeon Friday and I think the procedure will be done next week.

I damaged my right bicep aponeurosis and the myo-tendon junction of the long head almost three weeks ago deadlifting 354lbs (@168bw).

Tomorrow morning I will try to DL over 300lbs for the first time since, just with pronated right hand.

It happened to me because I was not used to supinated grip (proning the left) on the DL but wanted to prepare a PL meet in 5 weeks.

Hook grip instead.

I normally hook grip, but I lose grip with weights over 300lbs.

If you use sufficient chalk, and tape the thumb, you shouldn’t have a problem holding on to any amount of weight with hook grip.

In the past I pulled weights ranging from 300-310kg in different types of special exercises for the deadlift with the hook grip with no grip problem what so ever.

true, but more importantly, if you are deadlifting correctly there is no reason to rupture the bicep tendon. You should hang the arms straight down like hooks, and never pull with the biceps.

If you use sufficient chalk, and tape the thumb, you shouldn’t have a problem holding on to any amount of weight with hook grip.

Taping the thumb?

true, but more importantly, if you are deadlifting correctly there is no reason to rupture the bicep tendon. You should hang the arms straight down like hooks, and never pull with the biceps.

I guess the strain on the bicep tendons does not come from wanting to do a barbell curl…

Actually, I didn’t rupture it deadlifting. I was trying to move/roll a large rock (think tire flip position) when it tore.

As a side note, I had changed awhile ago to a hook grip when deadlifting for other reasons and, although painful, I adapted and can pull pretty much the same amount of weight (well, until my injury).