Romainian Deadlifts

Hey guy/gals

Been doing these for some time (about 1 year), my body weight is 68kg (150lb).

I do 4 sets of 8 reps at 65kg

I was lifting on box so that the bar can drop to my toes.

I have never had a back problem from when I was 13 when I had a core strength and I have a great core/abs program. I am 19 atm.

I once saw that you shouldn’t lift heavier than your body weight cause of back problems.

What are your opinion’s should I progress slowly if I am without pain doing the exercise.

Thanks for the input,
Turkey

Romainian deads are supposed to stop at shin level so ya back dont round…

anyway - doing it shin level - i gone to 165kg for 3reps (i only ever went to 3) at a body weight of around 80kg at the time.
Never had back problems, im 32 now.

yeah I don’t have a problem with rounding my back.

thanks heaps

I agree, if one is able to nearly touch your feet with the bar or the wt. plates hitting the floor, it is not an RDL. I’ve only seen a few people with such extreme flexibility to be able to go anywhere nearly so low without rounding their backs.

Definately agree with Pioneer here…are you sure you’re not doing a stiff legged deadlift?

Make sure you are actually doing an rdl and not strictly a stiff or straight legged deadlift-hips must move back first and as you pivot forward from the hips keep the chest up-the back will remain arched or straight. The knees will bend slightly as you go lower but the bar reach it’s lowest point much lower than your knees-about the top to mid shins at the lowest.

In my opinion, those who do this well and have spent some time training the lift tend to go far too light. I think many coaches/athletes tend to be far too conservative in this lift which is something I don’t say very often about training in general.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1502753

Yet.

Listen to the advice before you do.

Yeah I had my technique checked with qualified lifting coaches and they say that I do go very low but there is no problems with my technique, me and my coaches have a high priority on safety over heavy weight.

Could it be bad if I am going to low, or would it be better to just go to the shins. if safety isn’t a concern.

Thanks everyone for the advice,
Turkey

By your description, I’m not sure if it is truly an RDL that you are doing. Again, most people that I’ve encountered have nowhere near the extreme flexibility(come to think of it now, none actually) required to maintain an arched back and go as low as being able to touch their toes with the bar and having the knees slightly bent. It sounds much more like a SLDL.

Perhaps you could post a clip of you performing the exercise?

if your going all the way to your toes it is virtually impossible for you to maintain a neutral spine and not have any rounding in the lumbar region.