Rest intervals for plyometrics

What rest intervals should be used for a standing triple jump?

You would need full recovery I’d imagine.

maybe 3mins+?

Rest intervals: a minute and half between sets. Three to five minutes between exercises.

it depends to some degree on whether or not you’re doin them for technique or power. but in general i’d take as long as you need to keep the power output high. 1-3 mins tend to suffice.

Cool. I did these yesterday, a great exercise but I’m still learning to do them properly.

I like to walk 100 yards btw every 100 foot contacts.

Hope this helps

Kenny Mac~~~

Rest intervals are highly specific! Everyone is going to be different, but the nervous system is HIGHLY-stressed during plyometric activities, and takes 1-1/2 - 2 times more time to recover than the muscular system. Depending on rate and amplitude, recovery could range from 3 minutes to 10 + minutes. Specificity, please.

The CNS does get quite stressed during plyometric activity, however I don’t think there is a stress on the CNS when doing a 3 hop or standing lj.

I have seen quite a few times, these interesting and sometimes (distrubing) images in your avarter what is it man.

Just wondering

Thank You

If you are starting plyometrics, and you start off with light intensity jumps like tuck jumps, or squat jumps, how long should you do these before increasing the intensity of the plyos? Or should you do it until you see an increase in power?

IF that is the case (do it until you see an increase in power), how do you measure it?

Sounds like short rest. Give us some details of what you’re doing.

Talking to Schmitblicher recently and he was suggesting 6s between depth jumps and 10 minutes between sets with (10-12 jumps in a set). He said this was essential to ensure the adaptation to Type IIx fibres as opposed to type IIa. Apparently you can do torso work, mobility etc during the 10min rest breaks.

6s = 6 seconds?

Should this type of long rest be done for all plyometrics ?

No, such long rest intervals are unnecessary for plyometric exercises of lower intensity, i.e. skips, hops, other types of jumps. Depth jumps represent the top or nearly so of the intensity scale so they specifically require greater rest intervals than other types of plyometric exercises. Bompa, for one, has some rest/recovery suggestions available in some of his books.

Not sure where but i read or listened to some evidence to suggest that the limiting factor in depth jumps was the energy required to step back up onto the box, rathere than the jumps themselves.
Obv. full rest taken between sets on this sort of training. So i guess you would have to look at the time (and intensity) each of your sets of hopping/bounding was taking and then take the recovery form there. if you really wanted to quantify it eg %of max i guess this would be possible by measuring distance taken for 10 bounds and then working within that slightly, eg 10 bounds=25m so working at 100% intensity would be replicating that and call for a longer rest calculated into the time taken. I have discussed time because someone mentioned 100 contacts in a set (i think) wich will take a bit of time.

like speed work…a well trained coach will notice almost immediately if the quality is falling apart. If in doubt, take another time-out!!

guys I am new here and am trying to learn more about training guys to help with baseball is there a place to see these plyos that explain how each are performed ,I have had success with building batspeed in hitters and teaching technique but am realizing the importance of being a better athlete.

what kind of numbers are done for plyo

ie gpp dvd jump onto board then onto the mat.
how many of them would be done?
and what kind of rest?

Schmitblicher’s (SP?) famous experiements. For Type IIb you need significant rest between reps and between sets (e.g. 6-15s between reps and a few min between sets).