Reps in the GPP phase

weight training is a form of strenght training…and I like to lift heavy. Still, general strength using Charlies methods have made my programs effective.

Thanks Scarface I am hoping things go well this year. (First year competing in Masters will be this March)

T2 and Clemson:

I keep reps in the squat and dead below 6 generally.

For this phase GPP I’ll add the rep range to more assistance excerises like stepups, reverse leg press, lunges etc. The Triple Circuit workout I have listed is amazing for strength endurance when done properly as well.

I am really pleased with how this GPP looks so far and am getting pretty fit. I am hoping it should be relatively easy to transition in more intense components as the season progress as well.

Chris

I am thinking about the following for the other phases.
Thoughts appreciated…

GPP:
1 - Hills 5 x 250
2 - Lower body weights
3 - Upper body weights
4 - Hills 2 x 4 x 200
5 - Rest
6 - accel work/weights 4 x 60, 4 x 30
7 - Rest

SPP:
1 - Split runs: (300@85%, 100@95%) x 4 on track in flats
2 - Lower body weights
3 - Upper Body weights
4 - 8 x 200 hills
5 - Rest
6 - Speed/Weights/plyos (block work, 60’s, 80’s etc)
7 - Rest

Pre comp:
1 - SE (1 x 300, 1 x 200, 1 x 150 full recovery 95%)
2 - Lower body weights
3 - Upper body weights
4 - 8 x 200 intervals on track
5 - Rest
6 - Max Speed 1/weights (flying 20’s, 30s, etc)
7 - Rest

This is very general, not sure what to do in the comp phases. GPP goes to beginning of Oct. Then SPP for 8 weeks. Pre-comp and comp I am not sure of. Going to compete in the Masters meets in March. (that is the big meet)

thanks,
Chris

On SPP:

The weights on day 2 and 3 need to become more intensive 85%+

You might need to reduce the volume and the amount of exercise and combine day 2&3.

SPP:
1 - Split runs: (300@85%, 100@95%) x 4 on track in flats
2 - Lower body weights/ Upper Body weights
3 - Rest/Recovery
4 - 8 x 200 hills
5 - Rest/Recovery
6 - Speed/Weights/plyos (block work, 60’s, 80’s etc)
7 - Rest

Pre comp:
1 - SE (1 x 300, 1 x 200, 1 x 150 full recovery race pace)
2 - Rest/Recovery
3 - Max Speed 1//weights (flying 20’s, 30s, etc)
4 - Rest/Recovery
5 - Starts (20-30m)/weights
6 - SE 3x150@race pace
7 - Rest

As far as duration, you can extend your pre-comp to 12 weeks. This will take you to your competition in March. Also being in Pre-comp shape throughout the indoor season makes it easier for you to get a meet or two in if deemed necessary.

For Comp you want to increase intensity, and continue to decrease volume.

(Ex.) Comp:

1 - SE (2 x 200 full recovery race pace)
2 - Rest/Recovery
3 - Max Speed/End 60,80,120,80,60/Lower body weights/Upper body
4 - Rest/Recovery
5 - Starts (20-30m)/weights (or Rest for meet)
6 - Meet (or SE 2x150@race pace)
7 - Rest

For weights, do 2 upperbody and 2 lower body exercise (4 total). This will allow you to do quality weights after runs. Notice as quality improves rest and recovery (recovery can be active, i.e. tempo) becomes more necessary. The work out on day 6 in the Pre-Comp and Comp prepares you for competion on Sat. Finally, setup during Comp phase should be flexible.

Scarface - I appreciate we have opposing views on this topic. Mine are based on a critical review of the literature and have been reinforced with my athletes. Yours appear to be based on a single case study… yourself.

Lesson learned: Strength is not the “Holy Grail,” but POWER is!

POWER = FORCE X VELOCITY

Unless force is maintained power will decrease!

Other methods of power can be included early such as short sprints to preserve the contractile characteristics

Short sprints will not maintain maximum force (…power!!) output.

DavidW,

With all due respect. I think you’re making assumptions. You say yours is based on “critical review” reinforced by your athletes, while mine is based on a single case study “myself.”

I am going to take the high road on this one and not get into a credibility debate.

True, but the only force that matters in track is the one that can be applied to the track in 0.09 to.11. I used an example of one person squatting 1000lbs, but only able to apply 10% of that to the track while another squats 500lbs and able to apply 25%. Although the former person 100% is stronger than the latter, the former is only able to apply 10% of that strength per step.

Let’s get this straight, I am not saying that strength isn’t important. I am saying that strength is not the end all be all of track. And, speed and endurance should not be sacrificed in pursuit of it.

That’s all I’m saying. Nothing else!

FACT: Speed endurance and RFD are most effectively, and most specifically, developed through sprint training itself. If an athlete maintains both RFD and speed endurance and increases maximum force then his times will progress.

… using your logic. If a sprinter uses a high rep, low intensity preparatory period his squat may drop from 200k to 180k. Even assuming he maintains his ability to apply 25% of maximum force in the 0.1s window, his power will decrease… and it is highly likely that the RFD component will suffer as well!

Making assumptions again! Once again, I am not saying that strength isn’t important. I am saying that strength is not the end all be all of track. And, speed and endurance should not be sacrificed in pursuit of it.

Btw, strength should be maintained NOT DETRAINED. One should NEVER allow their strength to drop from 200k to 180k

If you looked at the training advice that I gave Chris you would see that I recommend one workout of hypertrophy weights and one workout of heavy weights per week during GPP. My high reps are in relation to doing circuits with BW or plus 10% of BW weights added.

If you are not sure where I’m coming from, I wish you would ask questions instead of making assumptions and then making statements based on those assumptions

ANOTHER FACT: Yes, Speed endurance and RFD is most effectively, and most specifically, developed through sprint training itself. If an athlete maintains maximum force and increases both RFD and speed endurance then his times will progress.

You now agree that maximum strength should be maintained? :confused: With your approach any hypertrophy will be non functional and will certainly lead to a decrease in maximum strength.

Don’t get it twisted! I have ALWAYS agreed with maintaining strength. What I don’t agree with is sacrificing speed and endurance in pursuit of MORE strength.

This is especially true for the ADVANCE/ELITE athlete. However most athletes can benefit from muscle building qualities.

Note: All exercises in the GPP do not have to be functional to be beneficial. The G in GPP stands for General. These are the qualities that are focused here.

Thanks Scarface that helps a lot. :slight_smile:

I will analyze everything and get back to you shortly.

Cheers,
Chris

You appear to have changed your arguement:

From experience, I can tell you that high-reps per set (with lighter resistance) definitely accomplishes volume requirements. In addition, it improves your recovery with track sessions.

Body weight/low intensity weight circuits will not maintain strength… nor will one max strength session per week.

I have never said you should value strength over speed or endurance but simply that you should not develop the latter qualities with weights.

Sounds good. PM me if you like.

That statement was in response to volume requirements. Which was settled when you stated that:

Body weight/low intensity weight circuits are not used to maintain strength. It is used to improve conditioning/endurance qualities. One Strength training a week does a better job of maintaining strength in the GPP period than NO strength training in the GPP at all. Is strength such a delicate glass flower that breaks because of some non-specific type training?

I respect your opinion. I, on the other hand, believe that body weight/low intensity weight circuits can improve endurance qualities. ALONG with track work!

David W,

As a weightlifting expert, I can see why everything evolves around strength and lifting heavy.

In track, many world class athletes have broken world records with very little to no weight training (ala Carl Lewis). Before the 1960’s /70’s most track athletes didn’t use much weights (ala Jesse Owens).

What should that tell you? Absolute strength training with weights are secondary when it comes to track, not primary.

Does weights help? Hell yes! Is it the be all, end all of track? No way!

“In track, many world class athletes have broken world records with very little to no weight training (ala Carl Lewis). Before the 1960’s /70’s most track athletes didn’t use much weights (ala Jesse Owens).”

Don’t forget that before the 60/70’s training with heavy weights where thought to make you slower ,therefore not done. But ofcourse you could still be number one without using weights today.

The arguement is not whether strength is more important than speed and endurance, but what volume and intensities should be used for strength training during GPP. You believe in circuits, yet you also agree that strength should be maintained. Presumably you also understand why strength should be maintained? If traditional weights sessions are replaced with circuits then maximum strength will suffer. If both are included everything will suffer!

This arguement has gone round and round but gone no-where. Are you a ‘last word’ merchant? Of my very first post, what do you actually disagree with?

Regarding training methods of past greats. Muhammad Ali did miles of slow road work and no weights. Should todays boxers also train that way?