Reps at different phases

Syco - you state:

“I always throw in a few weeks of 15 rep training at the start of a season for the GPP phase.”

But…after a number of years of resistance training do you not see a dedicated AA phase declining in importance?

There are a number of reasons for a dedicated AA phase:

The nature of my training year means there will always be an off-season, maybe only 1-2 weeks, but there is always one.

IMO…

1. One must always have a close season.
    This helps the hunger develop and rest the body, realise there is more to life etc. etc.
  2. The High rep schemes help strengthen the connective tissues and reduce the possibility of injury later in the season.
  3. After any close season the likely of injury are greater than maybe at any other time - an AA phase is a sure way to strengthen muscles in a controlled steady manner with reduced CNS stress using PERFECT form.
  4. A AA phase provides the perfect opporunity to …
    a: correct any weaknesses in posture,
    b: muscle imbalance
    c: correct a lifting technique
    d: introduce a new excercise
    e: develop new better/habits
  5. Mentally it is a great way to reduce the common mistake of lifting too heavy too early and leaves peaking easier later.
  6. It also allows the athlete to concetrate on doing things rightas they restart the year again.

I am not adovcating a AA phase, I just feel that it works for me, allowing a proper start to the season, and I must say I have been very “lucky” with injuries since I paid more attention to the AA phase.
I would like to hear what others suggest-
Do some ignore a AA phase?
How long is it? (me = 4-6 weeks -generally 4)
What do you do? etc.

I wasn’t recommending no AA phase (or whatever you want to call it). Just its relative importance should decrease as an athletes matures…

No.23:

are you the ‘Artist formerly known as Syco’?!?

Yes, long story - mostly to do with stupidity, lost passwords and bad memory - duh!!